Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 10:54 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times

Advertisements

I understand the New Mexico hard shelled pine nut is the tastiest and most nutritious.Next comes the Colorado or Nevada softer shell. It can easily take 12 years to produce nuts.

Are there places full of these pines? They grow at the same altitude as junipers but looking around Bent there are many more junipers.

Where can you find them ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 11:49 PM

212 posts, read 371,307 times
Probably in the Gila National Forest.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:13 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Are there places full of these pines?
I used to have good luck finding trees with nuts in the area around the Ruidoso airport/Ft. Stanton. Seems the pines favor a partially shaded hillside - iows, the north slopes. I wouldn't refer to that area as "full of pines" but there are plenty there.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:39 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,451,373 times
Pinons grow in foothill and mountain environments all over the state but a big beetle infestation about a decade ago has killed a lot of them.

Last year there were quite a few people out harvesting pinon in the Manzano Mountains southeast of Albuquerque so I imagine there are still a lot of trees there.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:50 PM

I've been researching and spoke to our agricultural agent a couple of hours ago. The drought made the trees vulnerable to the infestation. In addition these trees don't bear cones/nuts every year.

They are hard to cultivate as they don't produce for 12 years or more (much more with some of the other varieties).

Good to find 'em and eat 'em not so good to try to grow them.

The public doesn't understand that there are many kinds of pine nuts. They eat the old and often rancid nuts from Europe or Asia and their appetite sours. New Mexico pine nuts have a more robust flavor and are more likely to be fresh.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:28 AM

The reality of a warmer climate is also having an impact - over and above beetle infestations:

Quote:
Piñon pines have experienced a massive die-off triggered by drought and exceptional heat and will be lost throughout much of its existing range with continued climate change.

Source of more information

Old 04-21-2016, 02:57 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,451,373 times
Quote:
I've been researching and spoke to our agricultural agent a couple of hours ago. The drought made the trees vulnerable to the infestation. In addition these trees don't bear cones/nuts every year.

They are hard to cultivate as they don't produce for 12 years or more (much more with some of the other varieties).

Good to find 'em and eat 'em not so good to try to grow them.

The public doesn't understand that there are many kinds of pine nuts. They eat the old and often rancid nuts from Europe or Asia and their appetite sours. New Mexico pine nuts have a more robust flavor and are more likely to be fresh.
Yeah, NM pinons have to be harvested wild. No one cultivates them commercially as far as I'm aware.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
The reality of a warmer climate is also having an impact - over and above beetle infestations:

Great article Joqua posted- I have written the author.

Last edited by WestGuest; 04-21-2016 at 05:54 PM..

Old 04-21-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Great article Joqua posted
Thanks.

I'm wondering if you've ever tried buying piñon nuts from the vendor in Tularosa who sells them at roadside, usually on a vacant lot on US-54 near the south entrance to town? I don't know if they are there all the time or just in the early winter after the harvest time. I've never tried buying from them myself.

At one time, m-a-n-y years ago, some local grocers carried them in early winter. Haven't seen them lately though.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:42 PM

The vendor's sign is up but guess cause it is out of season , he hasn't been there. I do look for him/her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico