Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:42 AM

105 posts, read 95,893 times

Advertisements

I love the Southwest. I currently work at a popular grocery chain that has several locations throughout the Southwest, including in New Mexico. This company is expanding quickly and though retail, has great benefits. I originally thought about moving here a few years ago after a road trip with family. I like both, Santa Fe and Albuquerque (store is located in both cities) but would like to know what is more affordable for a single person, no kids, 2 cats and 1 dog.

I am thinking ahead about a year. I'll be moving with about 15,000 in savings. I'll be making between 17-1800 a month..not a lot, but with a decent savings account could dip a bit if needed. Ideally want to live closer to the city but don't mind an offbeat suburb if more affordable.
I'd like to hear more from locals..
Things that matter to me:
Crime rates per capita, public transportation( I have my own car but wouldn't mind not using it asoften as possible)..parks and recreation, dog parks, shopping, coffeehouses(I know there's starbucks everywhere but wouldn't mind supporting local business)..I ultimately would like to live closer to the city but there are more locations where I work throughout NM.

Thanks in advance for comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 11:55 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbirdcat View Post
I like both, Santa Fe and Albuquerque (store is located in both cities) but would like to know what is more affordable for a single person, no kids, 2 cats and 1 dog.

Ideally want to live closer to the city but don't mind an offbeat suburb if more affordable.

I'd like to hear more from locals..
Things that matter to me:
Crime rates per capita, public transportation( I have my own car but wouldn't mind not using it asoften as possible)..parks and recreation, dog parks, shopping, coffeehouses(I know there's starbucks everywhere but wouldn't mind supporting local business)..
Albuquerque is more affordable than Santa Fe, and I believe more suited for singles (YMMV).

Crime rates per capita are higher in ABQ. Lower in Rio Rancho.

More parks, recreation, dog parks and shopping in ABQ. I've been shying away from some dog parks recently (Been here 17+ years)

Offbeat Suburb? Not sure what that really means, "differing from the usual or expected; unconventional"? Look at Rio Rancho. I'm always been surprised to encounter singles living in a retirement city. It is on the north border of ABQ, so, depending on where you work, there may be an advantage. (YMMV)

YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-13-2016 at 11:52 AM..

Old 07-05-2016, 12:24 PM

Thank you, Poncho.
I see that is closer to Sandia Peak which I thought was beautiful.
Cibola Natl. forest, also. Saw a black bear, there!

Old 07-08-2016, 09:16 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,407,431 times
Rio Rancho is probably not "offbeat" in the way you are thinking. I think Albuquerque is more "offbeat" than Rio Rancho. Sandia Peak is closer to Albuquerque than Rio Rancho. Lots of options for local coffeehouses in Albuquerque:

Michael Thomas Coffee Roasters

The BREW

Satellite Coffee - Passionate About Coffee - New Mexico

Deep Space Coffee

Limonata

Velvet Coffeehouse in Old Town

etc...

Albuquerque has more park space/open space per capita than any other city in the lower 48 states.

There are several other threads about public transportation in the Albuquerque forum you can check out.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2016, 05:00 PM

Thanks so much, Aries, I am seriously thinking more about moving there day by day..I'm going to be moving with two cats and a dog so that should be interesting!

Old 09-01-2016, 10:29 AM

10 posts, read 15,634 times
Encouraging to see other East Coasters here looking to move to NM. I would love to follow your progress!

Old 09-01-2016, 04:15 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,067 times
Here are some threads that might be useful (already showed you one of these):

//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...ants-help.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...ts-living.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...northeast.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...-you-dont.html

Old 09-01-2016, 09:39 PM

163 posts, read 171,557 times
We are seriously considering moving to NM soon; it would be in the southern area near Alamogordo because we have a house there that was my fiance's parent's home and they've offered it to us. It's lovely, in a remote area (technically in La Luz). I am currently in Virginia (Norfolk area) and the crime here is just rampant. Last week two passengers in a car were shot on the highway and no one even knows who fired the gun. There are literally shootings here in multiple areas every night. The area is too crowded, and the place has simply lost its culture over the last few decades. Yet property taxes have skyrocketed. Oh, and traffic is HORRIFIC here no matter what the time of day or year is. Just HORRIFIC. New Mexico traffic? Non existent. I love that about it.

I've been to New Mexico before and we are actually going back the 13th for a week to spend more time there so I can really decide if it's the place for me. I think my biggest hestitations are my aging parents and missing my friends, and that the house in kind of at the top of a mountain, so it's quite a drive on gravel roads into town. BUT - the area is just stunning. Stark and desert like in one area, and rich with green trees in the next. It moves, it breathes, it just seems to have such a mysterious, magical feel to it like no other place I've been. My fiance is in love with it and is determined for us to sell our house and pull up stakes. I am nervous but excited to see what the future holds; it's definitely culture shock but yet I really do like the newness and difference of it.

My cousin lived in ABQ for a long time and didn't seem to be a fan of the state, however I am not planning on living in the city so I think my experience will be a little different...

Old 09-02-2016, 11:26 AM
CII

152 posts, read 223,865 times
Your description of your place sounds like our description of our place when we bought it. Having lived in a good sized university town, New York City, and Boston, New Mexico is a different planet. After six years we are no less seduced by it. Magical, mysterious, stunning, yup.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:00 AM

163 posts, read 171,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CII View Post
Your description of your place sounds like our description of our place when we bought it. Having lived in a good sized university town, New York City, and Boston, New Mexico is a different planet. After six years we are no less seduced by it. Magical, mysterious, stunning, yup.
Are you in NM now? What area? How do you like it? I hear so many complaints from natives about how poor it is, how bad the education and roads are, lack of work... but then I also hear wonderful things from other people. I have no children and work from home, so jobs/education are not a factor for me, however I can see how it still affects the overall culture, attitudes, and crime rates which can be a concern...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico