Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 04:24 PM

138 posts, read 145,652 times

Advertisements

I've done some searching and I couldn't find anything recent enough to answer my question.

First off, I just got back from Alamogordo today after a week of lovin' it. It's probably my last trip for a year or more until I can make in permanent.

As the subject says, I'd lie to know about internet providers from people who use it. I can read their sales pitches, but that doesn't tell me how they work in the real world. Where I am now (Kansas City) I have Google fiber, so I'm accustomed to fast. I'll be delighted to both get to Alamo and leave Google behind for good, and on those scores I'll be fine with settling for somewhat less.

I've read their ads. I've tried looking up user reviews as well. But a lot of what I come up with for, say, TDS, is somewhere else, like Maine and other places not even close. The only one I found close to there was one talking about DSL. DSL and satellite are non-starters for my needs. Also I don't need TV or phone as I handle all of those things on my own via other methods.

Anyway, I can see their promises of speed. But how reliable are they? Mostly it looks like TDS or CenturyLink. And maybe Tularosa Communications if they're available where I end up living and can meet my needs without too high of a cost. So I guess some feedback about all three would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 05:50 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
This Thread May Be Of Help: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...lamogordo.html

And Listings: https://www.highspeedinternet.com/nm/alamogordo

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-13-2019 at 06:28 PM..

Old 01-13-2019, 06:21 PM

Slightly. The first link is a little older. Times change and so does quality, so I'd prefer hearing from current users if possible.

The second link adds a source or two I didn't know about. But it's also missing at least one (TDS) that I've already researched a bit. Plus some of the information stated about the ones I already knew about is different from what's shown. Such as higher speeds, at least one more offering fiber (they claim), how much area is covered by each, etc.

The real problem for me is that the sales pitches don't always match reality. I had Spectrum here when they were TWC. They were good for awhile. But speeds weren't always what they claimed (100mbit claied, but often 50mbit wasn't attainable), and they didn't try to offer better speeds until Google set up fiber. They still never got to 1gigabit like Google. But what irked me wasn't that they couldn't do that fast. It was that they didn't even try to offer 300 megabit until Google was eating their lunch. Suddenly good speed was important because they were losing customers.

So I'd prefer to hear from actual users instead of reading their claims.

"Offering" fiber doesn't mean it works. Having "up to 300mbit" could be most of the time, once a year or never. That's the sort of information that interests me. That and customer service if I ever need it.

I'm moving (unless the housing market makes it impossible to get what I need when I sell this place), so it's important I have an idea where to begin before I find myself locked into a mess.

I've narrowed it down to the two probables and a possible a year out. That's a start.

Last edited by phydeaux3; 01-13-2019 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: corrections

Old 01-14-2019, 08:20 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
I live in Alamo and I have Century Link service. I have DSL and speeds start at 20 mpbs. I pay $59.41 a month and I love my CenturyLink service. Fiber optic is available but give them a call for details regarding your home's location in Alamogordo. I have Standard Chevron DSL service.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:36 PM

Good to hear Century is good since it's one of the most prevalent and a contender to meet my needs. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico