Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:46 PM

12 posts, read 50,697 times

Advertisements

I have lived in OH my entire life and am looking to relocate to somewhere warmer and sunnier. I am 28 and married, so I need somewhere that has good jobs available (I am a histotech and my husband is an electrician). I would like to find a place where I can afford to buy a house. I don't like cold weather, but I don't want to get fried in the summer either. Low humidity, little snow are essential. We're not much for the city life and would ideally like an acre or more. And I don't want to sound stupid, but is there much grass in NM? I have two dogs who like to be outside. I've been to Taos and Bernalillo, but don't remember much except sand and brush. I loved the food in Taos. I see a lot of posts about crime, especially in Alb, and I know crime can be found everywhere, but I'd like to stay away from notoriously bad areas. Any suggestions as to the areas where I should begin looking? We are planning on moving in the spring of 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 11:13 PM

4 posts, read 14,532 times
Hi there! Have you looked in the Santa fe area at all? Within the city limits can be xpensive, but there are many outlying communities where places are more affordable, even with an acre or two. I have worked here for 3 years as a construction supervisor and a real estate agent, and I can tell you first hand this town is in dire need of a decent electrician. There is a LOT of money to be made here for contractors because of the second home market and all the people coming here and constantly building and / or remodeling very expensive homes.
Basically though, Santa fe fits a lot of your criteria - low humidity, lots of sun, reasonably mild winters, not nearly as much crime as some other areas, etc. It's a nice laid back lifestyle too, we have all the fancy salons and restaurants and galleries and spas if you like that stuff, but the vast majority of us also wear jeans to work and are extremely casual.
Good luck in your search, and please feel free to let me know if there are any other questions about the area I can help you with!

Old 12-02-2006, 09:26 AM

Does anybody know if there are any pathology labs in Alamgordo or Las Cruces area? I am kind of leaning towards those areas from what I have read.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:02 PM

215 posts, read 840,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahbc View Post
Does anybody know if there are any pathology labs in Alamgordo or Las Cruces area? I am kind of leaning towards those areas from what I have read.
Not sure about the labs, but if you don't want to fry in summer, stay away from Cruces and Alamo. Both are quite hot for half the year or more.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:23 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times
I would bet alamogordo would have one.

You can live in Cloudcroft or Tularosa and work in Alamo.

I never found Alamo to be overly hot and unbearable. If you look at the avg temps and then the humidity it is not much warmer than DC or Raleigh in the summer but it is a lot less humid.

You will have to grow/water your own grass. Flea/tick and rabies shots are a must for fido.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:53 AM

How is Alamo in the winter? I'm freezing right now as it's 26 degrees (feels like 16 according to weather.com) - in both Toledo and ABQ! But our high is supposed to be 28 and 38 in ABQ. I really want to move somewhere with warm winters (highs in the 50's+ would be nice!).

Old 12-03-2006, 09:20 AM

215 posts, read 840,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
I never found Alamo to be overly hot and unbearable.
I guess this is a personal thing. I find Alamo unbearable most of the year, but then again I came from Alaska. Anything over 75 is hard for me. Alamo in summer tops out around 105 degrees F, but more often highs are in the 90s.

In winter, it's very mild. When it's zero or 5 degrees up in the mountains, it's only around 30 in Alamo. You might see 2-4 inches of snow once or twice a year, and even then it melts off by noon. Highs are generally anywhere from the 50s to the 70s in winter. Basically, there's no such thing as winter in Alamo. The wind is the only thing that might make it feel wintry.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:16 AM

27 posts, read 135,450 times
Sarahbc,

We are also from Ohio and trying to get out for the same reasons. I can tell you one thing....the worst snow storm we have ever been caught in while driving was in New Mexico. So be cautious.

We have traveled all over the west looking for that "no snow" 50's + winters. NM was one of the first places we crossed off our list. Arizona, California and Texas are the best places for warmer temps.

Where ever you decide, go there a few times during the winter and summer. That way you will get a better idea of the weather. We all have our levels of comfort in various temps so what is OK for me could be horrible for you.

Best to do your research here and then go on a few trips

Until then,stay warm

Old 12-08-2006, 09:38 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrockglass View Post
Sarahbc,

We are also from Ohio and trying to get out for the same reasons. I can tell you one thing....the worst snow storm we have ever been caught in while driving was in New Mexico. So be cautious.

We have traveled all over the west looking for that "no snow" 50's + winters. NM was one of the first places we crossed off our list. Arizona, California and Texas are the best places for warmer temps.

Where ever you decide, go there a few times during the winter and summer. That way you will get a better idea of the weather. We all have our levels of comfort in various temps so what is OK for me could be horrible for you.

Best to do your research here and then go on a few trips

Until then,stay warm
AZ and TX are far too hot the summer. AZ is dry, but brutally and obnoxiously hot, TX is HOT and HUMID. Id steer clear of both. Sedona is nice for AZ, I think it has a more suitable climate, but its also very expensive.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:18 PM

710 posts, read 2,962,262 times
I believe Albuquerque's winters are very mild indeed. I am able to play golf year round with just a few days cancelled due to inclement weather. However, if you are looking for a warmer winter, then you should really look at Las Cruces or El Paso. Both have great winter climates. I personally think Las Cruces is more beautiful than El Paso, but El Paso definitely has all the amenities you'd need. There are new areas in NW El Paso that are absolutely goregous and like Albuquerque you will surely enjoy the culture of El Paso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico