Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:26 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times

Advertisements

Yankeehombre.....you wouldn't have to drive to Montana in the summer as our high locations are nice in the summer. For example in July it could be 95 degrees in Alamogordo at noon and yet 20 miles away up in Cloudcroft it would be around 75 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 11:38 AM

185 posts, read 488,819 times
Default We're not all Yankees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Yankeehombre.....you wouldn't have to drive to Montana in the summer as our high locations are nice in the summer. For example in July it could be 95 degrees in Alamogordo at noon and yet 20 miles away up in Cloudcroft it would be around 75 degrees.
One thing we can't get over is whenever we talk to people in Ruidoso area and tell them we're from Minnesota, they call us Yankees! We're not Yankees here in flyover land, just too stupid to live in a decent part of the world-yet anyway.

Hey, off the subject, but you guys are so knowledgeable-we want to put a used doublewide on our land outside of Alto until we can build. Do you guys know a good place to look for trailers? Haven't found much in the area, but maybe in Alamogordo? Would it be cost effective to move something up north? Thanks guys!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:47 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeehombre View Post
I've been planning to move to N.M. for some time. I've picked Alamogordo or Las Cruces areas based sanity on home prices. I'm interested in avoiding the pitfalls that have befallen me in New Hampshire, chiefly spoiled New York trust fund Yuppies that have invaded here on quality of life issues+ bringing runaway inflation and boat loads of kids with them cranking up taxes + social services to mimic that which they're running from cesspool they formerly called home.

I hear from friends in Montana that they too have the same issue with being "Californicated" with 600sq.ft. $quarter-million dollar condos on the ski mountain.
For that reason I chose the areas of N.M. that are less attractive to these types, fewer art studios per capita than in Taos. Also the afore mentioned areas average income is Exactly my income! High on my list is to have the same value for a dollar as my neighbors.My disabilty income has dwindled over recent years to a level that living in N.H. is life is no longer sustainable.By comparison I can prosper in N.M.

Add to that 4 season camping in Arizonais just a day away. If N.M. is too hot, I plan to Summer in Montana.["summer" as in verb] just 2-3 days drive away. I got my freebie campgrounds (2) already picked out.
Fight the good fight! Keep Trustifarians and (most) Californians out of NM!

Old 01-15-2009, 01:26 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
AlisonL wrote ( back in October ):

> Originally Posted by NMTherese
> > ... choose Jemez Springs over the other places ...

> Don't give away the secret of your gorgeous area. My favorite
> place in NM thus far. Just wish it was a little bit closer to ABQ,
> and would move there in a heartbeat.

One of the reasons the Jemez Springs area is so nice is that it is just
a bit too far from Albuquerque to be a practical commute for most.

Still, Californication goes on. The drive up there is less and less scenic
every year with more and more rooflines poking up above the trees and
ridgelines. Some (most?) of those places are not even places where
people live all year long.

I, for one, can't imagine wanting a "summer home" or "vacation home."

I like *my* home. I'm "home" when I'm home and if I was anywhere else,
I'd just be around some of my stuff, but not actually home. I don't care
how much wealth I had, I wouldn't be interested in an additional place to
store "stuff."

I'm an old fuddy-duddy.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,561 times
Does anyone know about Raton, NM? My husband and I are both teachers and looking to relocate. We saw jobs in Raton but nothing for rental property. We are not interested in buying anything right now until we know it is totally right for us. We have 3 children and would like to know about the school systems too.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:20 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Many, many threads dedicated to Raton. Click "search" at the top, type "Raton", and skip over the ones regarding Florida (I'd rather be in Boca Raton than Raton tho).

Old 03-02-2010, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,493 times
Default Want to Move to New Mexico / Albuquerque

Any job leads, rental leads, suggestions: Want to leave Florida, daughter lives in NM she is military. . . but I don't know anyone else there. Am a senior but not retired, not married, must work. Visited New Mexico last year, fell in love with Albuquerque and Santa Fe...am in school and want to study art...NM feels right for artist any leads...suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:52 AM

26 posts, read 55,744 times
We are oving to Demning at the end of March. Yes it is a desert and I have heard about the wind. I like the size of the town and the people are very friendly. We are very excited. We started looking at New Mexico 18 month ago, visited three times, found a job and we are on our way!
The Deming ranchettes have a bit of a reputation from what I have gathered. You need to make sure you can put a septic system in. I have read that you need two acres or more to do this. We found property prices reasonable if you take time and look around. Wishing you all the best!

Old 03-11-2010, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,658 times
Hello, iam thinking about moving to n,m myself,its time for a change, my kids are grown up, and i need a change . Trying to find a web site for jobs, work as an nursing assistant.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:21 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki wright View Post
Hello, iam thinking about moving to n,m myself,its time for a change, my kids are grown up, and i need a change . Trying to find a web site for jobs, work as an nursing assistant.
Here you go:
Ben Archer Health Centers

you can even apply online, so they say.
Ben Archer Health has clinics all over the place in our lovely state.

Sierra Vista Hospital and the Veterans Home and also Sierra Nursing facility are always looking for help.
Sierra Vista, the Vet's Home and Sierra Nurs. are all located in Truth or Consequences New Mexico, but be advised, there isn't much here.

http://heraldpub.com/classifieds.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico