Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2023, 05:52 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,322,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
This is the wettest year I have experienced in New Mexico. I recommend using powdered sulfur (not the crystals) in your yard. Sprinkle it everywhere and wet it in with the hose. It will keep the mosquitos, ticks and fleas down. I usually do it every fall and every spring.

When I was growing up average humidity was 9% and now it is almost 16%.
The number of days with little in the way of clouds are much less recently, it seems. Many more overcast/semi-overcast days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 12:20 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,744,030 times
We are no longer suffering under the dryer La Nina influence and moving toward an El Nino period. It will bring us more moisture. We had a wet spring last year but not as much as we are having now. We might just slide into monsoon season.

As far as our reputation goes, we are an anomaly among the 50 states. Our history does not reflect the usual east to west flow. We have towns 1000 years old. Europeans were here before Jamestown or the Pilgrims. Demographics are different. It seems a bit exotic and a bit foreign to many people and it challenges their notion of America. That makes it easier to believe negatives or to dismiss positives. It is easier to confuse it or assume it is just another Arizona or Texas.

Old 06-08-2023, 12:56 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,875,918 times
Quote:
I agree with the sentiment but it is too late. I have been told by many people from the midwest who immigrated here in the last 20 years that my pronounciation of the street names and towns is incorrect! They actually think Madrid is pronounced "Maaaaaadrid"! I won't miss them if they all go home, but I think a lot of them are here to stay. We have 2.2 million people in this state and that is about 1 million too many for the desert environment so if you are thinking of immigrating to New Mexico, explore other options. If you want green lawns and big oak and weeping willow trees you will be very unhappy here, it is now illegal to have lawns of any size greater than 5' by 5'. And water is expensive.
Then there was my ex-boyfriend when I lived in New Mexico for almost 2 years, a Spaniard/Apache who used to make fun of my accent when I pronounced Spanish words correctly.

Old 06-08-2023, 01:01 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I thought Maaaadrid is the correct pronunciation for the little town in NM. I was corrected by locals.

Old 06-08-2023, 01:16 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Quote:
The population of the state is 2.2 million and it is the 5th largest state in the U.S. It is mostly rural and Las Cruces used to be a farming town. If you want opera move to Santa Fe or stay where ever you are. Ugh! And if you move to New Mexico, Don't complain about the lack of humidity, it is the desert and if you don't like desert stay where you are. It is so annoying that people complain about a place because "it isn't like where I came from".
I've lived here since 1970 so know what I am talking about. The border is 20 miles away - the crime is unbelievable and only last week, I was threatened by a 'homeless' carrying an ax, and a few days later, had to throw a 'homeless' female off my property. She threatened me saying 'me and my friends can easily take over this place.' I won't tell you how I responded. So . . . don't tell me to move to SF or anywhere else.

Old 06-08-2023, 03:33 PM

981 posts, read 541,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Then there was my ex-boyfriend when I lived in New Mexico for almost 2 years, a Spaniard/Apache who used to make fun of my accent when I pronounced Spanish words correctly.
Hmmm. If he grew up here he knew how to pronounce things, did you learn Spainiard, Mexican, Columbian or U.S. southwest Spanish. Just like english there are many pronounciations for the same words depending on where you learned English (example Schedule, U.S. and canadian's pronounce it differently than british, another one is aluminum, which the british and australians spell differently as well as pronounce it differently)

The spanish I grew up with was conquistador spanish. There were no words for Truck, Car, telephone, etc. So it was more spanglish. But we learned Castillian in school.

Old 06-08-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I thought Maaaadrid is the correct pronunciation for the little town in NM. I was corrected by locals.
Yes, I hope you were. My daughter worked for a woman from the midwest who has been in New Mexico for 30 years and she would correct people's pronunciation of places like Madrid and street names, and she was always wrong.

Old 06-08-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I've lived here since 1970 so know what I am talking about. The border is 20 miles away - the crime is unbelievable and only last week, I was threatened by a 'homeless' carrying an ax, and a few days later, had to throw a 'homeless' female off my property. She threatened me saying 'me and my friends can easily take over this place.' I won't tell you how I responded. So . . . don't tell me to move to SF or anywhere else.
20 miles from the border. It is not safe close to the border no matter what state you are in. I was talking about people who don't like the climate. The crime is not bad in the whole state, just in some parts. As for complaining about the lack of opera, you don't move to a rural state and expect things like the opera. We have one city that has an opera house. You are close to El Paso if you live near Las Cruces, they may have an opera house.

P.S. the whole state has a population of 2.2 million, NY City has a population of 18+ million.

Old 06-08-2023, 04:57 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,322,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
If the crime is much more than it has been in the not too distant past, it may be a good idea to relocate.

Old 06-08-2023, 10:28 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,875,918 times
Quote:
Hmmm. If he grew up here he knew how to pronounce things, did you learn Spainiard, Mexican, Columbian or U.S. southwest Spanish. Just like english there are many pronounciations for the same words depending on where you learned English (example Schedule, U.S. and canadian's pronounce it differently than british, another one is aluminum, which the british and australians spell differently as well as pronounce it differently)

The spanish I grew up with was conquistador spanish. There were no words for Truck, Car, telephone, etc. So it was more spanglish. But we learned Castillian in school.
His father's line is Spaniard dating directly back to the Mora Land Grant of 1862. His mother's line is Jicarilla Apache, speaking only Spanish. He grew up speaking Spanish. We never discussed exactly what kind just that they were punished when they spoke Spanish in the classroom at school in the 60's.

I've only half learned the language of my middle eastern ex-husband, many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico