Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2023, 08:20 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
True enough.
Rio Rancho was a private sector real estate development. I remember when it was fairly new because one of my neighbors moved there in the early '70s. It was pretty small then. Not like now.

I suppose the feds could have placed people in the community but they certainly didn't "build" it specifically for people in the witness protection program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2023, 10:16 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
The American Realty and Petroleum Corporation purchased 55,000 acres of unincorporated land, that since became Rio Rancho, in 1961. Then in 1971, the same corporation bought an additional 35,000 acres after Rio Rancho had grown to 1,000 residents. In turn, AMREP offered incentives to Intel to locate a branch office there in 1981. Unsubstantiated is that an Italian real estate developer that helped design Cape Coral, Florida, was influential in spreading the same model in Rio Rancho, by inviting perspective buyers to a free dinner for two intended to use a sales approach to close deals on land within 90 minutes.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:08 PM

980 posts, read 539,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Many Americans don't know New Mexico is part of the US. I don't want them to know it is, they might come here.
I agree with the sentiment but it is too late. I have been told by many people from the midwest who immigrated here in the last 20 years that my pronounciation of the street names and towns is incorrect! They actually think Madrid is pronounced "Maaaaaadrid"! I won't miss them if they all go home, but I think a lot of them are here to stay. We have 2.2 million people in this state and that is about 1 million too many for the desert environment so if you are thinking of immigrating to New Mexico, explore other options. If you want green lawns and big oak and weeping willow trees you will be very unhappy here, it is now illegal to have lawns of any size greater than 5' by 5'. And water is expensive.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
The American Realty and Petroleum Corporation purchased 55,000 acres of unincorporated land, that since became Rio Rancho, in 1961. Then in 1971, the same corporation bought an additional 35,000 acres after Rio Rancho had grown to 1,000 residents. In turn, AMREP offered incentives to Intel to locate a branch office there in 1981. Unsubstantiated is that an Italian real estate developer that helped design Cape Coral, Florida, was influential in spreading the same model in Rio Rancho, by inviting perspective buyers to a free dinner for two intended to use a sales approach to close deals on land within 90 minutes.
Wow, I always thought Rio Rancho was designed by crazy people, the roads are impossible to navigate unless you are just passing through, which would be stupid as there is a freeway that bypasses that city. And now it is hard to tell where Rio Rancho ends and Bernalillo begins. It would be bigger if it wasn't for the Santa Ana reservation.

Old 06-05-2023, 02:23 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
...it is now illegal to have lawns of any size greater than 5' by 5'.
Unless it's a golf course...

Old 06-05-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Unless it's a golf course...
A new golf course can have very little lawn. It has to have xeriascaping for the most part. The old golf courses lawns are "grandfathered" in, just like some homes in the university area of Albuquerque.

I remember when Isleta Pueblo put their golf course in and thought it was a horrible eyesore. But they have changed some of the landscaping because of new rules about how the water from the Rio Grande is used.

Old 06-06-2023, 10:50 AM

5,354 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
I agree with the sentiment but it is too late. I have been told by many people from the midwest who immigrated here in the last 20 years that my pronounciation of the street names and towns is incorrect! They actually think Madrid is pronounced "Maaaaaadrid"! I won't miss them if they all go home, but I think a lot of them are here to stay. We have 2.2 million people in this state and that is about 1 million too many for the desert environment so if you are thinking of immigrating to New Mexico, explore other options. If you want green lawns and big oak and weeping willow trees you will be very unhappy here, it is now illegal to have lawns of any size greater than 5' by 5'. And water is expensive.
It's pretty much a jungle this year! I'm swatting away mosquitoes now... If they can put 40 million in Saudi Arabia with 0 permanent rivers, I guess 2.2 million isn't too much for NM lol.

To the original question, one thing that's stood out to me after being here a little while is that New Mexico is very "crusty". It's simply just not polished like many other parts of the US are. There's pluses and minuses to this, it makes the state more authentic, historical, and unique, but there's also a disorganized and unmaintained aspect to it.

If New Mexico took a big 5 personality test, it would rank very low on the orderliness vector. It would also rank high on the aethecticness / openness section.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
It's pretty much a jungle this year! I'm swatting away mosquitoes now... If they can put 40 million in Saudi Arabia with 0 permanent rivers, I guess 2.2 million isn't too much for NM lol.

To the original question, one thing that's stood out to me after being here a little while is that New Mexico is very "crusty". It's simply just not polished like many other parts of the US are. There's pluses and minuses to this, it makes the state more authentic, historical, and unique, but there's also a disorganized and unmaintained aspect to it.

If New Mexico took a big 5 personality test, it would rank very low on the orderliness vector. It would also rank high on the aethecticness / openness section.
This is the wettest year I have experienced in New Mexico. I recommend using powdered sulfur (not the crystals) in your yard. Sprinkle it everywhere and wet it in with the hose. It will keep the mosquitos, ticks and fleas down. I usually do it every fall and every spring.

When I was growing up average humidity was 9% and now it is almost 16%.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:50 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
It's pretty much a jungle this year! I'm swatting away mosquitoes now...
Do you normally have mosquitoes in Taos? It's been wet for spring in Ruidoso also, but there aren't any here. Even in July and August during monsoons they are rare.

Old 06-06-2023, 03:08 PM

5,354 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
This is the wettest year I have experienced in New Mexico. I recommend using powdered sulfur (not the crystals) in your yard. Sprinkle it everywhere and wet it in with the hose. It will keep the mosquitos, ticks and fleas down. I usually do it every fall and every spring.

When I was growing up average humidity was 9% and now it is almost 16%.
Yeah it's literally rained every other day up here for about a month. Same with the fam up in Colorado Springs. Guess that's what happens when the entirety of the US west of us is super wet. They are only in one pocket of the yard where it's squishy. They'll go away soon enough I bet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Do you normally have mosquitoes in Taos? It's been wet for spring in Ruidoso also, but there aren't any here. Even in July and August during monsoons they are rare.
IDK my first summer here. I've swatted them all over though, particularly in beaver pond squishy areas in the mountains. FWIW I did not really swat many in Georgia, I think the spiders ate them all down there. Just don't go to north MN this time of year :O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico