Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 6,448 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a small town in northeast Kansas with my husband, 8 year old daughter, 2 dogs and 3 cats.

We enjoy the low COL, slower pace of life, low crime, space between neighbors and the homeschool laws here. We will be staying here for at least 4 years but my husband would like to eventually move away from the winters we have here. I'm not a big fan of super hot weather though.

We don't want to live in a larger city (more than 50,000 people). We don't mind a smaller community or rural life if we are within driving distance of things we like to do (45 minutes to an hour drive might be okay).

We would like to be around some other people between 25 and 40 years old.
Our daughter will likely be 12 or 13 when we relocate. We homeschool currently but she might want to try highschool as she gets older. We would be interested in an area with homeschool groups (secular preferably) and/or activities for teens nearby (under an hour drive).
My husband likes role playing games and Anime.
We like books, movies and a variety of foods (Greek is a favorite).
I like gardening.
We like animals and nature.
I am an artist. My daughter likes to write stories and might be interested in theater or other creative pursuits.

Neither my husband nor I have been to NM but hope to visit and check out some places in the next few years. I'd appreciate any input on places we should definitely check out or avoid for our family.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 12:02 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Alamogordo --> Near Las Cruces and El Paso Metro Areas. So you get that small town with larger population centers near by. Also consider Deming, Hatch, T or C, and Silver City.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:18 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
zcat:

Good post. You pretty much list your needs and wants, so you have already started the process.

I am also in northeast Kansas, and will be moving to New Mexico soon.

Since you have several years before you move, I would suggest you start doing LOTS of research starting now.

Search New Mexico online and become familiar with the different places that interest you. The state has a lot of variety and has something for almost everyone.

My husband and I made a list of our "NEEDS" and "WANTS" years ago, and surprisingly, it has changed very little through the years. When we were ready to start our house hunt, we knew pretty much EXACTLY what we wanted.

I just have one one question since this varies for everyone: What do you mean exactly by "super hot weather"? I love New Mexico but I know the southern half of the state would be too "super hot" for me .... but others seem to love it.

My suggestion to everyone who wants to move to New Mexico is that you visit the state as often as you can prior to a move. New Mexico is very different than every other state and is not for everyone. You will only know if you visit the state personally.

Good luck with your search and your decision.

~Towanda

Old 03-12-2008, 01:40 PM

946 posts, read 3,264,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
zcat:

Good post. You pretty much list your needs and wants, so you have already started the process.

I am also in northeast Kansas, and will be moving to New Mexico soon.

Since you have several years before you move, I would suggest you start doing LOTS of research starting now.

Search New Mexico online and become familiar with the different places that interest you. The state has a lot of variety and has something for almost everyone.

My husband and I made a list of our "NEEDS" and "WANTS" years ago, and surprisingly, it has changed very little through the years. When we were ready to start our house hunt, we knew pretty much EXACTLY what we wanted.

I just have one one question since this varies for everyone: What do you mean exactly by "super hot weather"? I love New Mexico but I know the southern half of the state would be too "super hot" for me .... but others seem to love it.

My suggestion to everyone who wants to move to New Mexico is that you visit the state as often as you can prior to a move. New Mexico is very different than every other state and is not for everyone. You will only know if you visit the state personally.

Good luck with your search and your decision.

~Towanda
I agree. Also there is good weather data available -- you should use it. There is tremendous climate variation in NM. What some of the posters consider insufferably hot -- others will describe as warm. What some consider snow, snow, snow -- others consider a dusting. In other words, you cannot take our answers too seriously. See or research for yourselves.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,448 times
ibarrio- We'll research those places. Thanks.

We definitely plan to visit several areas and research a lot before making a decision on if a move to NM is right for us. That's why I'm trying to narrow this down 4 years in advance so we can plan some trips.

I am happiest between 60 to 78F. Too hot for me is upper 90's or above 100.
We've lived in different places in the midwest all our lives. We don't mind snow so much but don't really like the cold temps i.e. 20 or below during the day... 30 or above daytime temp in winter would be acceptable.
It looks like we get about the US Average of snowfall where we are currently.

https://pics2.city-data.com/w5/snw8140.png (broken link)

Old 03-12-2008, 04:40 PM

Santa Fe has never been above 100 in recorded history. It is 7,000 feet so you might want to consider places at that altitude. (Altitude, not latitude drives climate.) And 20 below during the day -- never. Not even at night when it cools off.

Santa Fe and environs are expensive, a world-class center of the arts, but has skiing and like of all of New Mexico has plentiful outdoor recreation.

Ruidoso and environs to the south are about the same altitude, has a skiing, a race track, plentiful outdoor recreation -- fast growing with a lot of people from Texas.

Taos and environs to the north (I think are about the same altitude, but some of the surrounding communities seem higher) are a traditional center of the arts, has skiing, plentiful outdoor recreation and is amidst NM's highest peaks. That area also has an influx from Texas -- but not as fast growing as Ruidoso.

I'm sure that there are other places in NM at this altitude.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:25 PM

179 posts, read 621,441 times
Santa Fe had recorded a 100+ degree temperature in 1994.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 PM

Default Show me the evidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgoNative View Post
Santa Fe had recorded a 100+ degree temperature in 1994.
Show me the evidence.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:49 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
zcat warned:

> ... don't really like the cold temps i.e. 20 or below during the day ...

Devin Bent mentioned:

> Santa Fe has never been above 100 in recorded history.

Yeah, but I'll bet they have more than a few days like zcat doesn't want.

zcat also said:

> ... I am happiest between 60 to 78F.

ObMeToo:
Me too.

> Too hot for me is upper 90's or above 100.

How is it for you at 85?

Old 03-12-2008, 07:28 PM

Default Official Records

Charlie Liles, former head of the National Weather Service Albuquerque office, is quoted in the Santa Fe New Mexican as giving the highest recorded temperature in Santa Fe as 99 in 1994.

The low was -18 in 1949, which Liles thinks is 'odd' since the ABQ low is -17, since 'Santa Fe as a whole tends to be much colder than Albuquerque.'

Weird weather records prevail in Santa Fe - SantaFeNewMexican.com

I suspect that other places at 7,000 feet, e.g., Ruidoso, have also never broken a 100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico