Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:45 AM

473 posts, read 1,245,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Edgewood is a town in Santa Fe County, New Mexico, United States. It is part of the Santa Fe, New Mexico Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Tijeras is a village in Bernalillo County, New Mexico, United States. It is part of the Albuquerque Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Cedar Crest is a census-designated place (CDP) in Bernalillo County, New Mexico, United States. It is part of the Albuquerque Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Rio Rancho is a city in Sandoval County, New Mexico. (A small portion of the city extends into northern Bernalillo County.) It is part of the Albuquerque Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Good info,

Thanks for sharing. I'm a history buff and love the history of the southwest. Now to get a bit off topic, I really like some homes in edgewood, what is that area like? How is the commute to ABQ from there?

In general terms, could you breakdown each quadrant of ABQ (NW, SW, NE, SE, E, W, N, S, downtown). For example, Indy is broken down into these 9 quadrants. Each is unique. Some have good schools, some bad, some have money, some don't, some have a young population, some have older population, good crime, bad crime, etc. Can you break down ABQ like that? I'm doing tons of research and will visit in May but I'd just like an overall breakdown of the different areas. Plus maybe some of the burbs if you get a chance (Rio Rancho, Edgewood, etc.) Thanks!

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-06-2013 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 02:29 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,717,651 times
JRod -

I had to take your post out of mortimer's Nob Hill thread because it was certainly deserving of some good response, however, was off topic to that thread, and thus I wanted to give it a chance to get responses on its own merits.

As for your main three (two-and-a-half?) questions:

1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post
I really like some homes in edgewood, what is that area like? How is the commute to ABQ from there?
Red-flag alert here 'rod:

Edgewood is a community in Albuquerque metro's East Mountains communities. Tucked well into the east side of the mountains - not only with a more mountainous surrounding environment (and related climate) but also a much higher altitude than Albuquerque.

Thus, with altitude and mountainous proximity comes? Cooler weather. In some cases, much cooler/colder weather. Also, much more rain and snow than Albuquerque gets.

Albuquerque is a desert city. Edgewood assuredly isn't...it is a mountain community. Not that there is anything "wrong" with that...it offers nature, beauty, and clean air, etc., etc., etc. But it is what it is.

I know you've stated the big reason for your interest in relocating to Albuquerque (like many people) is largely due to the milder temps / weather. If that is truly the case, you may want to really think strongly about living in an East Mountain community (this isn't a totally accurate comparison, but loosely, Edgewood's temps year-round would be a bit more akin to Denver's than to Albuquerque's).

Edgewood does get considerable snow often times and much more rainfall as well. Here are the average temp breakdowns (and I don't know if this fully tells the story, as while the average temps are often only 5-10 degree different the "extremes" between ABQ and Edgewood can often be quite significant):

Edgewood:

Average Weather for Edgewood, NM - Temperature and Precipitation

Albuquerque:

Average Weather for Albuquerque, NM - Temperature and Precipitation

If you really were still interested in Edgewood, commute-wise, it is about 20 miles from the outside of ABQ, and that stretch of I-40 through "the canyon" is one that can kind of get crummy in bad weather (again, this is through mountainous area so you'll be more prone to winds, snows, etc.). People do do it, the length of the drive itself isn't a killer (although I probably wouldn't want to do it every day but that is only me), it is more just the terrain in crummy weather that I think would be a pain.

You'll have many days in ABQ's winter where it'll be 48 degrees and relatively sunny and very nice in the heart of ABQ, but you get in that canyon and it can be in the 30s, windy, gusty, flurries whipping around, etc.

2)
Quote:
In general terms, could you breakdown each quadrant of ABQ (NW, SW, NE, SE, E, W, N, S, downtown). For example, Indy is broken down into these 9 quadrants. Each is unique. Some have good schools, some bad, some have money, some don't, some have a young population, some have older population, good crime, bad crime, etc. Can you break down ABQ like that?
The Northeast Heights is a very large area. It is somewhat varied. However...

It is the quadrant closest to the heart of the Sandia Mountains / Sandia Peak. As such, it has - with a few exceptions (the North Valley, Los Ranchos, etc.) - the most high-priced homes and is often the most desirable place to live. It is one of the older, more established portions of the city (although there is still some new construction occurring, especially on the northern edges) and thus the streets/infrastructure are typically far better than the newer west side locations.

The retail and restaurant and fast food options are the most plentiful here. The biggest variety of these options too.

It isn't all rich / high priced / expensive areas though. I lived in an older, more middle class section of the NE Heights in the 87109 zip code where homes were more in the small-to-medium ranged size and prices were still in the $120/square foot range.

Overall the most sought-after area to live in ABQ (again in very general, "quadrant" terms), however, there surely is some rif-raff type of stuff that can go on in sections here too (Montgomery Blvd. and San Mateo on weekend nights, etc.).

Overall, a very nice quadrant with a huge assortment of various residents.

The Northwest...

This is the "newest", fastest growing of the four quadrants by far. The NE is limited in where it can grow (mountains to the east, Native American lands to the north) whereas there is more "wiggle room" on the Northwest. Much new growth in the Northwest with tons of new housing construction in the past decade or two.

Very desirable quadrant for younger families as it is overall very nice and safe like the NE but it doesn't carry the price tag that the NE does.

Traffic is more of a pain here as infrastructure/streets haven't kept up with the rapid population growth and residential building. There are still less restaurant / retails options, although that is certainly rapidly changing.

To me, it is a little too "bland" or "vanilla" (see: cookie cutter / suburban) for my tastes - (again in rough, vague, broad general quadrant terms) - in comparison to the Northeast, however, it still beats the pants out of living in most other areas of most other cities in the US. And frankly, if my wife and I end up in ABQ again, we'd probably end up here, as housing is important to us, and keeping the price tag reasonable is too! (Again, this is why so many young families explore this part of the town).

Southeast and Southwest...

These two quadrants are the ones that have less population in them (especially many areas of the SW) and have more of a history for low income, crime, etc., in certain spots. The crummier-for-crime area of Central Ave. is in the Southeast, as are some of the crummier areas around Gibson Blvd., etc.

The Southwest has the highest Hispanic population, and has often times the most "Mexican" feel in terms of culture, signage, etc. It has some very nice areas, and also some areas ("the South Valley") more reputed with crime.

Both the Southeast (on the extreme southeast) and the Southwest (on the extreme SW - the "Southwest Heights") - have areas with new developments / homes, etc., that are attracting young families, young professionals, etc.

Having said all of that...it is hard to classify some specific areas of ABQ as being in one of the four quadrants even though geographically you could likely slot them into one of the four:

-Nob Hill / UNM area
-Downtown
-Uptown area
-North Valley
-Rio Rancho / Corrales (suburbs)

*All of these above mentioned areas are overall quite nice, and all would be very desirable in most spots to live.

Quote:
Plus maybe some of the burbs if you get a chance (Rio Rancho, Edgewood, etc.)
One area where Albuquerque is quite a bit different than some bigger Midwestern cities like Milwaukee or Indianapolis is that it largely still is a very non-suburbanized city.

For instance, while the city of Milwaukee is 600,000, the metro of Milwaukee is about 1.7 million. The 1.1+ million folks not in Milwaukee still often will identify themselves as being from "Milwaukee" even though they are suburbanites...I am one of them currently.

This is very common in other big cities like Indianapolis, the Twin Cities, etc. Heck, Denver is another great example. Denver - the city itself - isn't much bigger than Albuquerque. But the suburbs are massive around Denver (Aurora, a big Denver 'burb, is over 1/2 the size of ABQ!).

Even though city-data forumites typically seem to despise the concept of suburban living, frankly, it is just how things are for millions and millions in most big city metros.

Transversely, in Albuquerque, the city's population is for all intents and purposes about 500,000 but the metro is only 850,000. Thus, as you can tell, the BULK of the residents in the metro area are actually living in Albuquerque itself. Even many of the suburbs (thinking of 'burbs like Placitas, Bernalillo, Los Lunas, and East Mountain communities like Edgewood, Moriarty, Cedar Crest, Tijeras, etc.) are not directly connected to Albuquerque (or even to another direct suburb).

Having said that, most of the main suburbs would be offhand:

-Rio Rancho (the biggie...one of the fastest growing cities in the US and closing in on 80,000 residents)
-Corrales
-Los Ranchos de Albuquerque
-Bernalillo
-Placitas
-Los Lunas
-East Mountain communities (Edgewood, Moriarty, Cedar Crest, Tijeras, etc.)

Rio Rancho isn't much different than Northwest Albuquerque. New. Rapidly growing. Traffic/infrastructure trying to keep up. Safe. Middle class to middle-upper class. Nice.

Corrales is more rural in nature. Quite pricey for the most part. Located on the Rio Grande so more lush and tree-laden. Artsy and pricey but quite nice.

Los Ranchos...very small community in the middle of Albuquerque. Very affluent. Lots of stables, huge lands/houses. Very pricey.

Bernalillo used to have a very crime-laden reputation. Some of the older areas are still mediocre to sketchy but there are some very new, nice big chunks now too as kind of a spill-over from Rio Rancho. Parts of Bernalillo, Rio Rancho, and NW Albuquerque are almost indistinguishable from one another. Some nice restaurants and shops in little Bernalillo. Bern is growing.

Placitas...affluent / pricey. In the mountain foothills with spectacular scenery and views, but also much cooler weather than ABQ itself. Gorgeous suburb, but it carries a price tag and cooler weather.

Los Lunas...rapidly growing suburb about 15 miles south of Albuquerque. Like Bernalillo, parts had a reputation for higher crime, however, there are so many new developments / housing projects, etc., that much of LL is now suburbia USA with a lower price tag than ABQ. This area is still developing, and once Mesa del Sol hits big in ABQ (the huge new development on the south of ABQ), I would imagine the spillover into Los Lunas will be even more of a boom for LL.

East Mountain Communities...probably see my explanation above about Edgewood.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:34 PM

Very helpful as usual EnjoyEP. What does EP stand for? Just curious.

I'm talking in another thread about paradise hills neighborhood. If you have any thoughts on that area I'd appreciate your input. I really like the homes I've seen there on a site someone sent me to.

You said Edgewood is Moutainous, I'm going to guess Tijeras is as well? Is that the case? Tijeras has some gorgeous homes.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
I always love to read your posts, EnjoyEP......so informative!!

The average summer temperatures in Edgewood look great (85 peak) and the winter ones not even that severe. What confuses me is that you call Edgewood a mountain community....yet I look on the map...and see that it is near Moriarty.

You have piqued my interest for a trip this summer....!!

Old 03-20-2008, 04:28 PM

371 posts, read 2,030,462 times
I can give you a "little" information. We moved to Edgewood, August of 2007, from Illinois, I might add. It is definitely more mild climate wise compared to northern Illinois. We do get more snow then Albuquerque, but that being said, we shoveled our sidewalk to our garage one time this winter. It gets quite cold at night (but, again, not Illinois cold) and takes a bit to warm up during the day. The snow generally is gone by the afternoon, but once in awhile it hangs on a day or two.

My husband commutes every day to Albuquerque and LOVES it! He loves being reminded on why we moved to this beautiful State on a daily basis. I really mean the canyon drive is quite awesome and we have not gotten used to it yet, as far as the beauty.

We recently got a Super Wal-mart, which makes our lives so much easier now. We are told there will be a lot of changes coming Edgewood's way and I, for one, believe it. I think buying now is a good idea because in my humble opinion you will get your real estate investment dollar back within a few years.

We recently elected a new Mayor and we'll see what comes of that. Our real estate taxes, as of now, are laughable - below $1000/year. Our mortgage broker thought we were pulling his leg. I mean we have a 1600 some sf house, 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, 2 acres, oversized garage and we paid under 200,000 for it.

The night sky is the most beautiful sky I've ever had the blessed opportunity to view and I am a country kid! I grew up in rural New York State and talk about winters. I, luckily, love the snow and even miss it at times.

I would say come visit us and decide for yourself.

By the way, my son will be starting kindergarten this August and will attend the South Mountain Elementary School. It has gotten great reviews from area moms and I believe the teacher-student ratio is 1 to 20, but check Great Schools for more information.

Good luck!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 05:27 PM

homewardbound,

Thanks for the info. It sounds like you love edgewood. I love mtns and a little snow but I do love a nice warm climate. I think I'll visit edgewood in my trip this May just to check it out. The homes are priced very nicely. I really need to land a job first so I know which side of town I'll be working in. I bet that drive is rough to the westside of ABQ. Anyways, the homes I've seen in Edgewood are beautiful. So how are you liking New Mexico in general? Safe? Culture shock? People friendly?

Illinois is very much like Indiana so I really respect your opinion.

How is Tijeras? I also like the homes in that area. Is Tijeras warmer than edgewood, less mountainy?

Glad everything is going good and thanks for the info!

Old 03-20-2008, 06:01 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,085,640 times
EnjoyEP pronounced:

> I had to take your post out of mortimer's Nob Hill thread ...

Wow. ... You can *do* that? Nice trick.

I would have kept my search tricks in there (moved along with original), but that's just me.

I've looked around Flickr for pictures of East Mountain areas. This is all I found.:

This one gives you the feel of the high plains with large mountains to the N and W and SW.
Early Morning Light In New Mexico on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/marvinok/1097180367/in/pool-newmexico - broken link)

Old 03-20-2008, 06:11 PM

371 posts, read 2,030,462 times
Hey Jrod -

You are right - Illinois and Indiana are very much the same.

We tried Tijeras, but found fixer uppers in our meager allowance of under the 200k amount. Tijeras is more in the mountains then Edgewood and yes, if you had to commute to the far side of Albuquerque it would be a hike. My husband is, luckily, on the north side and it takes him around 40 to 45 minutes, but he was used to over an hour commute before and the scenery wasn't a drop of what he gets now. He cranks the music and enjoys the solitude. Again, you are very wise to land the job and then find the house because of the location of Edgewood. That is how we played our cards also.

As far as the culture and the people. I love it. The people are VERY friendly even here in Edgewood. I say that because there's a lot of people here that have seen the start of Edgewood and still welcome us newcomers. That would be unheard of in parts of Illinois. You find a small town, as we did, and after 12 years we still didn't feel we could call it home. We were involved though and here, we are getting involved too. I do volunteer at the WalkinCircles ranch. Its a ranch that takes in abused and neglected horses. Its unbelievable! We have a Wildwest Park and we have a family membership there. That's fun just to go get some exercise and see the same animals everyday. My son loves it. I belong to a Moms' group. I guess I have tried to put down roots. I think that maybe key.

Good luck and you are so very welcome to Edgewood or where ever you land in New Mexico. Its the best move we have ever made and we have moved 7 times in our married life.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,717,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
> I had to take your post out of mortimer's Nob Hill thread ...

Wow. ... You can *do* that? Nice trick.

I would have kept my search tricks in there (moved along with original), but that's just me.
Hmmm...mort, I have to apologize. I don't think I moved anything else other than jrod's one post! If somehow though maybe another "mystery mod" moved something, I apologize.

I am pretty darn sure I only moved jrod's post though. And again, I only did that so it didn't get things too far off track but so his questions got answers.

Your Nob Hill photos / site are my internet hero. They'll keep me warm on the cold winter WI day that tomorrow will be (prediction currently of 5 to 12 inches of snow for the Milwaukee area including blizzard like conditions); Good Friday. Yeesh. I will have to live vicarious in Nob Hill for the day.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:49 AM

Good info homewardbound66. Thanks a bunch. I think we will check out Edgewood when we get it town just to see it. You love it too much for us not to at least see it for ourselves. I have to talk my Mom into retiring there. She has a horse obsession. She'd be in heaven. Thanks again, and I'll let you know what we thought of it when we get back. Adios!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico