Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 04:29 PM

6 posts, read 8,209 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I am going to try the breakfast and coffee routine for a while and maybe look for some other ways to get into some routine where I will run into the same people. You were helpful. I appreciate it. Have a Merry Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 06:46 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,562,693 times
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I am going to try the breakfast and coffee routine for a while and maybe look for some other ways to get into some routine where I will run into the same people. You were helpful. I appreciate it. Have a Merry Christmas!

You'll be fine. Just be friendly - look out for them, ask them how they're doing - they'll tell you. You're going to do just fine at this!

Old 12-24-2017, 08:29 AM

356 posts, read 510,552 times
Df, I am kind of in your shoes here in Alamogordo. I recommend you look into the "meetups" in your area -- Google it. Here, there are a couple of hiking groups that post multiple hikes per month of varying difficulty. I am having trouble walking after back surgery, so I haven't made any of the hikes yet, but plan to.

Last edited by Oregon Bill; 12-24-2017 at 08:43 AM..

Old 12-24-2017, 08:41 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,933,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
Df, I am kind of in your shoes here in Alamogordo. I recommend you look into the "meetups"in your area -- Google it. Here, there are a couple of hiking groups that post multiple hikes per month of varying difficulty. i am having trouble walking after back surgery, so I haven't made any of the hikes yet, but plan to.
Yes! Meet-ups are good. Here's the official site:

https://www.meetup.com

I plugged in Hobbs, New Mexico and got:

https://www.meetup.com/find/?allMeet...tFilter=mysugg

Which included:

https://www.meetup.com/Andrews-TX-Hiking-Meetup/

Old 12-24-2017, 05:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,205,566 times
Quote:
Df, I am kind of in your shoes here in Alamogordo. I recommend you look into the "meetups" in your area -- Google it.
I don't know if they're still active but there used to be a "Singles Group" that met regularly in Alamogordo for dancing and restaurant meals and occasional pot lucks in people's homes. The one here in Ruidoso was also once active but has faded into history as of the moment.

Quote:
I am having trouble walking after back surgery, so I haven't made any of the hikes yet, but plan to.
I couldn't hike any distance either without using "trekking poles." Walmart sells telescoping ones for about $20 a pair. For hiking I prefer ones I made myself, but for walking around on even ground the ones from Walmart are handy and easily transportable in a suitcase, if need be.

Last edited by joqua; 12-24-2017 at 05:55 PM..

Old 12-25-2017, 07:16 AM

356 posts, read 510,552 times
Joqua, I keep a pair in my truck. Hope to make it up at least to the line shack in Dog Canyon with those here soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico