Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2018, 06:54 PM

511 posts, read 625,437 times

Advertisements

I was looking for how certain laws in my current state differ from a couple states I'm considering moving to and landed on a website that stated women weren't allowed to pump their own gas in NM.

Of course, I'm sure this isn't true now, but was this ever a law in NM, do you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:11 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
My wife has been pumping her own gasoline in New Mexico for over 15 years with no issues...

Old 03-02-2018, 05:33 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,909 times
https://www.newscastic.com/news/top-...exico-1263418/

I think it still is.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:34 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Did a survey of state laws. I am sure there is no such law on the state level, and seriously doubt there was ever such a statewide law.

The most famous blue laws, even though these websites mention them, are limited to particular towns in New Mexico.
The two most famous are Las Cruces' prohibition on lunchboxes on Main Street, and Carlsbad's car-sex-lunch break-curtains law.

Not aware whether either of these are still in effect, but these web sites conveniently omit the municipality, and imply these apply statewide, for sensationalism purposes.

Less than 20 years ago I unwittingly got full-service gas in Magdalena. Some little town like that might be where this crazy ordinance once applied.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
The Newscastic site is one I found as well. Even if some of the laws are actually legit, much of it comes off as pretty sensationalized. The other site I found didn't fill me with confidence that there was any truth to the law either, and as much as I searched, I couldn't find anything even remotely government-like to corroborate the alleged gas pumping law.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Did a survey of state laws. I am sure there is no such law on the state level, and seriously doubt there was ever such a statewide law.

The most famous blue laws, even though these websites mention them, are limited to particular towns in New Mexico.
The two most famous are Las Cruces' prohibition on lunchboxes on Main Street, and Carlsbad's car-sex-lunch break-curtains law.

Not aware whether either of these are still in effect, but these web sites conveniently omit the municipality, and imply these apply statewide, for sensationalism purposes.

Less than 20 years ago I unwittingly got full-service gas in Magdalena. Some little town like that might be where this crazy ordinance once applied.
Yep, "sensational" came to mind upon reading, and like Poncho's wife who's been pumping her own gas for some time now, when I was in ABQ and driving around in Northern NM last August, I didn't land in jail when I got my own gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico