Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 08:08 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times

Advertisements

I think you hit the nail on the head with your good job. Most people aren't going to find good jobs in Alamo, because I dont think there are that many outside of medical work. Retirees may find the low cost appealing, but only if they have very simple tastes and needs. Driving an hour and a half to meet cultural or consumer needs isnt very cost effective if done on a regular basis, unless you have good income and it doesnt matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 07:15 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Most people aren't going to find good jobs in Alamo, because I dont think there are that many outside of medical work.
You're forgetting the huge government presence and the number of people, both civilian and military, who work in the various fields associated with Holloman, White Sands Proving Ground, McGregor Range, NASA, etc. For many years the German military/air force was a major player in Alamo's economy.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:45 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
You're forgetting the huge government presence and the number of people, both civilian and military, who work in the various fields associated with Holloman, White Sands Proving Ground, McGregor Range, NASA, etc. For many years the German military/air force was a major player in Alamo's economy.

Yes, for sure. And there's more military families on the way - several hundred. I can't recall if the real estate agent said that there's Italians coming or what - but apparently hundreds are going to be arriving here later in 2018. This happens often here, and we get used to it, but it does add to the Alamogordo economy. It's a good life in Alamogordo, really, it is!

Old 04-17-2018, 11:17 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
The Germans finally left town for good, didn't they? A long-standing local German-style sausage-maker here in Albuquerque closed a few years back, in part because he no longer had the Luftwaffe to supply.

I'm not disputing your larger point, joqua, but a friend of mine who lives in Alamo told me that the number of White Sands Missile Range employees who live in town has diminished in recent years because the range base camp is much more conveniently accessed from Las Cruces. The fairly regular closures of US 70 between Alamo and Cruces for testing on the Range also have a much greater impact on commuters from Alamo to WSMR, adding considerably to their travel time. The Cruces-to-WSMR commute is not impacted nearly as frequently.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
of White Sands Missile Range employees who live in town has diminished in recent years...
The largest presence is obviously Holloman AFB and its related activities. I also didn't mention the ICE/Border Patrol presence in Alamo. Nearby Sunspot and celestial observatories in the Sacramento Mtns. also figure in the equation. As does the fact that headquarters for the Lincoln Nat. Forest are located in Alamo. And who knows what really goes on out there in the expansive restricted areas of the desert under government "no trespassing" controls.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:38 AM

356 posts, read 503,633 times
Deserterer, I understand your initial take on Alamo. That's certainly the impression folks get when passing through on 54/70/White Sands. "Where's the beef?"
Even if you look hard, it is difficult to find the traces of what this little city looked like early in its career, with bustling neighborhoods, mill and rail jobs and literally thousands of verdant cottonwoods shading the carefully planned streets. Still, there is something about the place that continues to grow on me. Of course, having pioneer ancestors in the city cemetery adds to the appeal.
Also have some good jobs at NMSU-Alamogordo.
As to the "sacrifice" of having to drive to Las Cruces or El Paso for urban services, it is at least partially offset by the "non-sacrifice" of being in the fir and aspen forests of Cloudcroft and environs in 20 minutes.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:53 PM

As to the "sacrifice" of having to drive to Las Cruces or El Paso for urban services, it is at least partially offset by the "non-sacrifice" of being in the fir and aspen forests of Cloudcroft and environs in 20 minutes.

A fellow workmate told me once "elko, you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave." Lots of people who leave Alamogordo come back. My wife and I did, so I can't say it's not true. We love it here!

Old 04-19-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
As to the "sacrifice" of having to drive to Las Cruces or El Paso for urban services...
Whenever I'm faced with "yet another trip" back and forth to either El Paso or Las Cruces, I console myself by memories of all the years I spent tied up in traffic for an hour or more just trying to get someplace "within the city limits" of places I've lived - Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin! Stop and go, creep and crawl, temper flaring and B.P. rising! Sadly, getting around in El Paso is getting almost as bad these days. Las Cruces is still a breeze by comparison.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:38 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
Deserterer, I understand your initial take on Alamo. That's certainly the impression folks get when passing through on 54/70/White Sands. "Where's the beef?"
Even if you look hard, it is difficult to find the traces of what this little city looked like early in its career, with bustling neighborhoods, mill and rail jobs and literally thousands of verdant cottonwoods shading the carefully planned streets. Still, there is something about the place that continues to grow on me. Of course, having pioneer ancestors in the city cemetery adds to the appeal.
Also have some good jobs at NMSU-Alamogordo.
My take is not an "initial take" though. I've been to Alamogordo dozens of times, and go there several times most years. I agree the mountains are nice because thats precisely what brings me through. But that doesnt change the fact that to me, Alamogordo itself isnt that appealing as a place to live.

I've never lived there and I'm not trying to change the minds of people who live there and love it. I'm just offering another view of the place to people who have never been there and are considering moving there anyway.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:28 AM

My take is not an "initial take" though. I've been to Alamogordo dozens of times, and go there several times most years. I agree the mountains are nice because thats precisely what brings me through. But that doesnt change the fact that to me, Alamogordo itself isnt that appealing as a place to live.

I've never lived there and I'm not trying to change the minds of people who live there and love it. I'm just offering another view of the place to people who have never been there and are considering moving there anyway.

I mean, how can a place that has Ozzy Osbourne as a member of it's Chamber of Commerce be a bad place to live?

https://www.alamogordonews.com/story...ess/467473002/

Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce
about a month ago
The Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce would like to welcome Ozzy Osbourne as our newest member. While filming an upcoming episode of ‘Ozzy & Jack’s World Detour’ for Season 3 On A&E in Alamogordo, Ozzy and his kids Jack and Kelly fell in love with our community and wanted to leave their footprint. Ozzy is engaging in the transformation and so should you. Our members ROCK! #ozzyandjack #season3 #ozzyisournewestmember #engageinthetransformation

Last edited by elkotronics; 04-22-2018 at 07:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico