Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 03:31 PM

104 posts, read 111,173 times

Advertisements

My local utility company puts on free talks each spring around the topic of water conservation.

I recently went to a talk that centered on Rainwater Harvesting using the principles outlined in Brad Lancaster's books (Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands & Beyond Vol I & II).

It was a fascinating talk that showed me how poorly local government handles water runoff but also how we as individuals can make better use of the rain when it comes.

If this is a topic you are interested in, Brad Lancaster has lots of useful information and links on his website

https://www.harvestingrainwater.com/

One of my favorite reviews of his book was from this guy in Florida.

The first thought that came to mind when I received a copy of Brad Lancaster’s Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond, Volume 2: Water-Harvesting Earthworks, for a project in South Dakota was, “This will never, ever work in the swamps of north Florida.” After my work on the reservation, the book went up on the shelf and was forgotten. Why would I want to keep a book about drylands in my toolbox when we have more water than we can use? In hindsight, I wish someone would have taken his book, smacked me upside the head with it, and forced me to key in on the word Beyond in the title. It took my losing several workers out here deep in the swamp—no they were not eaten by gators, they were run off by the rising waters of the swamp—for me to realize my oversight. In desperation as I paddled my kayak through our camp site, I reconciled myself to the fact that we were not going to have any production this year.

The resulting depression from watching everything drown that we had spent a year planting took me back to my library, to a book that has become almost like a bible for me. While almost every farmer around us was standing in line trying to receive federal assistance due to flooding and/or salt-water intrusion to their wells, we resolved to begin earthworks as outlined in Brad’s second book. The results can only be described as magical. Everyone on our small farm is starting to see the difference made by harvesting the rain instead of just letting it flood us out. This book has inspired us and started us on a path that I am sure will change the landscape here forever. In addition, we have totally rebuilt and expanded our rainwater catchment to the point of its being the primary water source for the house—we wound up with so much we decided to take the final step of turning off the well pump. The system has improved everything from our clothes being cleaner to our fruit trees loving the water that comes from the laundry, the shower, and the kitchen sink. Some of our current projects are straight out of the book, and we have found the illustrations to be so well presented that during installation or implementation we often sit back and wonder, “Wow, it’s so easy, why didn’t we think of this earlier?” This winter we have even planned on flipping open the book to page 322 to build the “wash and well.” The book’s title might lead with “Drylands,” but everyone around here knows that “Beyond” is where we live. Even though we sometimes laugh and joke, wondering if Brad has ever been to a swamp, his knowledge of water should be a key tool for everyone, everyday, everywhere.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 04:16 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
The only down-sides of Rainwater harvesting in urban and suburban areas is that it robs water utilities of runoff, if practiced a large scale, and is impractical as a main water source in the driest areas. As a secondary source of water, it works pretty well for non-potable uses.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:18 PM

104 posts, read 111,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
The only down-sides of Rainwater harvesting in urban and suburban areas is that it robs water utilities of runoff, if practiced a large scale
Well that may be the case in Denmark but here in the southwest, it's largely a rural environment and most of the runoff is just diverted away as quickly as possible. A lot of valuable water is dumped where it is not needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
and is impractical as a main water source in the driest areas. As a secondary source of water, it works pretty well for non-potable uses.
I recommend you read the book (or at the very least check out the website). The idea is not to use it as a main water source (although there is a great example in the book of a couple in Arizona who do just that) but to keep the water on the land to replenish the aquifers. This reduces the need for using municipal treated water for landscaping which is both a waste of drinking water & expensive.

By carefully diverting and controlling where runoff goes, significant changes can occur even in an urban landscape.

Last edited by NMTransplant; 07-24-2018 at 06:32 PM..

Old 08-01-2018, 11:22 AM

356 posts, read 503,139 times
NM: we have been talking about rain capture here in Alamogordo. The city of Tucson, Arizona, is a leader in this, with a rebate program in place for those who participate.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:30 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Rainwater Harvesting - Water Conservation: NM Office of the State Engineer

Quote:
Rainwater harvesting refers to the capture,diversion, and storage of rainwater for landscape irrigation and other uses, and canbe an effective water conservation tool. It can be incorporated into large-scale landscapes, such as parks, schools, commercial sites, parking lots, and apartment complexes, as well as small-scale residential landscapes.

Some harvesting systems can be very simple, consisting of a roof catchment area, 55-gallon rain barrels, and garden hoses. Other systems are much morecomplex and include large cisterns and piped distribution systems. Costs vary greatly also, depending upon the type of system chosen.

Most homeowners can install and use a rainwater harvesting system for landscape irrigation without public health and water rights concerns. For larger-scale commercial projects, it is a good idea to check with the local OSE Water Rights Division to make sure the project does not inappropriately affect rainwater runoff into a stream system, therefore impacting a public water supply. Also, contact the local New Mexico Environment Department regarding any potential public health concerns. Please see Policy Development for the official policy on rainwater harvesting.

For more information on determining the amount of water you can collect, the types of systems to consider, and how to build, install, and maintain a rainwater harvesting system, consult Roof Reliant Landscaping Manual, Rainwater Harvesting, Supply from the Sky, a publication of the City of Albuquerque or a Waterwise Guide to Rainwater Harvesting.

Check local plant nurseries, hardware stores/suppliers, landscape contractors, or Internet sources for rain barrel suppliers.

Consult the following pages for more information on rainwater harvesting:

Texas Guide to Rainwater Harvesting - A complete how-to booklet including water quality and cost considerations from the Texas Water Development Board

International Rainwater Catchment Systems Association - Association of individuals and professionals who are dedicated to the promotion of rainwater harvesting.
References from above article:
http://www.nmenv.state.nm.us/
Policy Development - Water Use & Conservation: NM Office of the State Engineer
http://www.ose.state.nm.us/WUC/Roof-...andscaping.pdf
http://www.ose.state.nm.us/WUC/Albq-...harvesting.pdf
http://www.twdb.texas.gov/publicatio...3rdedition.pdf
Home | Texas Water Development Board
International Rainwater Catchment Systems Association

Old 08-30-2018, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 938 times
I just posted a question asking if anyone in SW NM, especially Luna County experimenting with this? Are there any companies installing down there? I know most people use wells if they aren't on city water but I'm thinking about "greening" my in-laws small farm.

I guess we can't delete posts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico