Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 07:52 PM

149 posts, read 104,352 times

Advertisements

I lived in NM for a few years. I think if you are moving to the Albuquerque, Santa Fe, or Las Cruces areas where they have a lot of folks, you will receive adequate to good services, but in cities away from those areas, like Gallup, the local and state workers are not too bright. I have a lot of stories about receiving substandard services compared to other states where I have lived (CA, OR, and WA), from the MVD to the post office to the local utilities to federal BIA and Forest Service employees. There is discrimination and graft. NM is a rural slum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 05:56 PM

511 posts, read 625,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAngus View Post
I lived in NM for a few years. I think if you are moving to the Albuquerque, Santa Fe, or Las Cruces areas where they have a lot of folks, you will receive adequate to good services, but in cities away from those areas, like Gallup, the local and state workers are not too bright. I have a lot of stories about receiving substandard services compared to other states where I have lived (CA, OR, and WA), from the MVD to the post office to the local utilities to federal BIA and Forest Service employees. There is discrimination and graft. NM is a rural slum.
I can't get the vision of a rural slum out of my head. It's kind of alliterative...

I've lived in smaller areas as well as large cities, and I know what you mean about the small places. It's likely the same pretty much everywhere.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
I've lived in smaller areas as well as large cities, and I know what you mean about the small places. It's likely the same pretty much everywhere.
Not always true...

Gallup is 138 miles from Albuquerue, a 2 hour drive on the Interstate. With not very much in between....

We lived in a small town in Maryland, 50+ miles away from Washington D.C. with public transportation.

There is a major difference in many ways...

Old 10-26-2018, 06:34 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
I want to chime in also about the DMV here in Las Cruces. Like the other posters, I have found every visit to be a very efficient experience. I think it comes down to population. In New Jersey, the DMV was overburdened and a terrible experience. I have never spent more than 30 minutes here for any visit.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:09 AM

949 posts, read 572,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Haha, yeah, IDK about CA public employees. I've been to post offices in the Bay Area, where there are lo-o-ng lines, two windows open, and the staff were too busy chatting with each other, to serve anyone in line. True story. Unbelievable. And nobody said a peep; no one in line told them to get it moving, or anything. This was during a pre-Xmas rush, in one case.

Business license and biz tax stuff is also handled very efficiently in SF, just fyi. Utilities may be a different matter; it's the luck of the draw, when you set up a new account. SF has 3 libraries; the best ones are in the neighborhoods, not downtown. Well, they're all well run, but the downtown one's public computer section is taken over by homeless people, and is crowded, unlike the other two.
Same here in Texas, the post office long lines do not seem to encourage them to work any harder. UPS is the even worse. I stopped using them because the are such idiots. They are seriously slow. Much slower than the PO and they are just like any poorly run service industry. They regularly give a different answer to the same question.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:42 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Same here in Texas, the post office long lines do not seem to encourage them to work any harder. UPS is the even worse. I stopped using them because the are such idiots. They are seriously slow. Much slower than the PO and they are just like any poorly run service industry. They regularly give a different answer to the same question.
Use the UPS stores, instead. They're a separate business, but if you want to ship something by UPS, they can handle it, they have all the necessary supplies, labels, forms, etc. They also do professional packing, if you need to pack and send art, or anything delicate.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:13 PM

52 posts, read 61,641 times
NM is a very poor state and gets a bad rap, but I lived there 22 years (8 in Eastern NM, 14 in Santa Fe). I worked for the state for 12 years and dealt as a citizen with the DMV, tax office, unemployment office, and state insurance department, I found all employees to be dedicated and helpful, if response sometimes slow due to being overworked. Speaking as a state employee, actual state infrastructure (IT & other technology) is underfunded which can lead to slower response times and frustration. But overall I had a good experience both working for and dealing with state government.

I have heard anecdotally that the City of Santa Fe can be frustrating for small businesses and homeowners. It has restrictions not found in other cities of its size, especially if you own property in the downtown historic district. I also know that the City of SF pays its employees less than average, which could account for malaise and poor service. Again--this is purely anecdotal but something I've heard over the years living there. Personally, I loved living in NM and if the economy weren't so sluggish I'd be back there now.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:25 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz
If you've moved from a richer state to NM, what has been your experience when you've had to work with government offices in NM compared to the state you left behind?
You mean as a consumer? I've never had any difficulties with any government services in NM. It's about the same level of difficulty you normally have. Here in California if I need to go to the DMV I have to wait in line for hours with literally thousands of other people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherhand View Post
I have heard anecdotally that the City of Santa Fe can be frustrating for small businesses and homeowners. It has restrictions not found in other cities of its size, especially if you own property in the downtown historic district.
Yeah but if you can afford to own property in the historic district, I'm not going to boo-hoo about you having to wait for your permits to get approved.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:28 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
NM is a very poor state and gets a bad rap, but I lived there 22 years (8 in Eastern NM, 14 in Santa Fe). I worked for the state for 12 years and dealt as a citizen with the DMV, tax office, unemployment office, and state insurance department, I found all employees to be dedicated and helpful, if response sometimes slow due to being overworked. Speaking as a state employee, actual state infrastructure (IT & other technology) is underfunded which can lead to slower response times and frustration. But overall I had a good experience both working for and dealing with state government.

I have heard anecdotally that the City of Santa Fe can be frustrating for small businesses and homeowners. It has restrictions not found in other cities of its size, especially if you own property in the downtown historic district. I also know that the City of SF pays its employees less than average, which could account for malaise and poor service. Again--this is purely anecdotal but something I've heard over the years living there. Personally, I loved living in NM and if the economy weren't so sluggish I'd be back there now.

Appreciate your comments on New Mexico. I agree - underpaying state employees does not equate to better service. But have patience with them and they'll get the job done for you. New Mexico is not just a good state to live in - it's a great state to live in.

As far as employment - you'll need the right skills and you can find a good job here. It's possible, and, if you do, you'll have the best of both worlds. 1) A state that has less people living in it 2) A great home to live in as a base to enjoy all that New Mexico has ta offer.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:02 PM

511 posts, read 625,647 times
It's good to know, overall, that you all have had good experiences - I'm beginning to wonder if ABQ is a sleeper city, and it's just a matter of time before it's discovered. I remember when a friend was offered a teaching position at a college in Austin, TX about 15 yrs ago, and we were all amazed he took it. He was from San Francisco and didn't seem the Texas type, AT ALL. He told us it was a pretty cool place despite being in the middle of Texas, kind of liberal.

And now we know how Austin is THE place to be for a lot of people, a really nice city they say. Property is sky-high...Why not ABQ in the near future? You never know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico