Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 03:44 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,505,022 times

Advertisements

I think you could do a lot worse than Albuquerque, Algiz. It is a large city with a lot to offer. Get a place with a garage for your car, though. Car break-ins are quite common. Just use common sense and you'll be all right.

You could also consider Alamogordo or Las Cruces for living choices. Where are you going to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 07:51 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,785,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
It's good to know, overall, that you all have had good experiences - I'm beginning to wonder if ABQ is a sleeper city, and it's just a matter of time before it's discovered.
Naw. Albq won't change, nor will its desirability. It was a lot smaller prior to the 1970s then it became a little more popular for people from other states to move there, but that's it.
Quote:
Why not ABQ in the near future? You never know!
I don't see it happening. Probably other people can give you solid reasons as to why not (maybe having to do with the state government or whatever), but my personal experiences growing up there and intimately knowing the attitudes of the people and the culture, I don't see it happening. For hordes of people to want to move there from other states there has to be a better economy and less crime, both difficult things to change.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:08 PM

511 posts, read 626,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I think you could do a lot worse than Albuquerque, Algiz. It is a large city with a lot to offer. Get a place with a garage for your car, though. Car break-ins are quite common. Just use common sense and you'll be all right.

You could also consider Alamogordo or Las Cruces for living choices. Where are you going to work?
We want land, so we've explored just north of ABQ and stayed in some VRBOs in the area - just 20 minutes to the north of the city and very "commutable" to the UNM, where one job would likely be. The other would be Rio Rancho, so pretty good, pretty good... 30" sounds like an amazing commute time to us! While there, we timed the Rio Rancho one several times in rush hour, so we know that one for sure, but the UNM is still not a sure thing, but that one isn't as sure a job as the Rio Rancho one, so that's OK. The Rio Rancho job is the one that matters most.

elkotronics, I really liked your post. Although there are some things that are simply fact and are foolish to ignore, I've found many things in life depend on one's own attitude - and foresight to the facts. Some people just love NM and others hate it. Some things just do or don't resonate with us deep within, and how we respond or initiate has a lot to do with what happens "to us."

Despite its negatives to what we usually like, there has been something that continues to draw us, call us. I've never felt this way about a place that I would never consider given I have always been drawn to the PNW kind of nature and salt water and LOTS of water to boot. Feeling "enchanted" is apt, pardon the cliche, but you know cliches are based on fact initially, so...

Old 12-05-2018, 02:33 PM

511 posts, read 626,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Naw. Albq won't change, nor will its desirability. It was a lot smaller prior to the 1970s then it became a little more popular for people from other states to move there, but that's it.
I don't see it happening. Probably other people can give you solid reasons as to why not (maybe having to do with the state government or whatever), but my personal experiences growing up there and intimately knowing the attitudes of the people and the culture, I don't see it happening. For hordes of people to want to move there from other states there has to be a better economy and less crime, both difficult things to change.
I take opinions like yours very seriously. I have a friend who grew up in ABQ, moved away for college at 18 and has only returned to visit family for the last 20 years. In fact, she just returned from a visit for Thanksgiving, and I asked her if the attitudes you (and she) mention are still so prevalent. She said they are alive and well. I believe, knowing who we are and what matters to us, we will recognize these attitudes and customs that both you and my friend mention. It will likely be hard, but then we have been living in a place where "what kin ye dew?" surrounds us, where people feel you're putting them down if you strive for excellence or have pride in your work. It's weird having moved from SoCal, where people didn't care what you did and did admire those who succeeded. But in SoCal, we had to deal with people who cared so little about others that people seemed to just walk all over you for no reason other than you were in their way.

No place is going to be perfect, we're realizing. Every place has its super positives, and we're hoping, if we do move there, that the "enchanting" part supersedes the things that we know will most likely prove to be problematic for us. A lot of it can be mitigated with attitude and letting the small things slide off of us.

My friend from ABQ comes from a family of "do-ers." Her brother has acquired quite a few properties that he rents out. He's very financially comfortable. Her parents are retired and living very well, traveling the world. Her two cousins are well-educated and have high paying jobs...in ABQ. Despite her dislike of her home town, she did say it's possible to succeed financially if one is smart about it.

What draws is the idea of not having hordes of people showing up like they did in our home town and now in our current adopted town. It would be nice to be in a place that didn't have development on every empty spot of land and roads clogged at all hours. For this, some things must be sacrificed. We'll see how things go...if those jobs pan out, things are likely to proceed. Wish us luck!

Old 12-05-2018, 04:29 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,505,022 times
Good fortune to you, Algiz! I really admire your attitude. What you're saying resonates and crosses over to other things, like "should we buy a new car, or...worry about money?" If you want the car more than the worry, by all means, go for it! You'll strive to make the money and you will be fine. It's positive thinking. Negative thinking steals our energy. In a real life scenario of this playing out as I type, I want a new car, Mrs. elkotronics, following financial guru Dave Ramsey, does not want to "risk it." It will be putting little money down and financing the little beauty for 72 months. We can afford it, I'll continue getting raises and we'll live within our means. More on that story later!

You guys will find what you're after in New Mexico somewhere. Sadly, my birth place, Seattle, has become a very expensive rat race.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:28 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,785,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
Her two cousins are well-educated and have high paying jobs...in ABQ.
For the average person, there are limited economic opportunities. But if you happen to be educated in a high-tech field (physics, engineering), there are substantial opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico