Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:30 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,283,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Maybe yours but not everyone.

We are seeing that now in GA. Several medium size cities (not near ATL) are facing HUGE deficits they didnt have 15-20 yrs ago. GA has made it more attractive for halfbacks to stay here or just retire. We moved here in 2003 and in small towns they are struggling to stay afloat.

Soc Sec isnt taxed, up to $65k in a pension isnt taxed. A new 6.5% auto tax instead of 7% normal sales tax to get the junkers off the road gives owners a HUGE break from the punitive ad valorem tax - plates now $20/yr. Lower insurance rates. We grow everything here - not every state can do that: pecans, peaches, peanuts, cotton, corn, milo and canola. Thats just in central Ga. Up north vineyards and apple, blueberry orchards.
We basically have three really big pension systems that cover most public employees, local and state. They're not in good shape but I'm being an optimist because it's better than the alternative. The oil thing is a biggie. I'm glad I don't live over there in SE NM amidst it but I'll happily take the revenues. We are a very poor state.

I think we beat you guys in pecans this year due to a storm you had that ruined a bunch of the crop. Normally we're number two, we grow most of the same things excepting the peaches. Too bad for us. We have similar temperatures if not similar climate. Put water on the desert and stuff grows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 08:32 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,408,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
NM taxes Social Security if it's in your federally taxable income. If your S/S is not taxed by the feds, then it is not taxed by NM.
Thats not true. If ss is your only source, some states still attempt to tax it. NM, CO, MT (I know they did it), NE.and some others.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:42 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,408,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
We basically have three really big pension systems that cover most public employees, local and state. They're not in good shape but I'm being an optimist because it's better than the alternative. The oil thing is a biggie. I'm glad I don't live over there in SE NM amidst it but I'll happily take the revenues. We are a very poor state.

I think we beat you guys in pecans this year due to a storm you had that ruined a bunch of the crop. Normally we're number two, we grow most of the same things excepting the peaches. Too bad for us. We have similar temperatures if not similar climate. Put water on the desert and stuff grows.
I spoke with Pearson farms yesterday. They lost about 10% of their crop but whats left is worth $10mm and in the state is $100mm. Oil we don't have any nor coal. But the four states (AL-GA-SC-TN) have the lowest prices for gas $1.89 and diesel $2.59. That's because we refine it off the pipelines. We have two deepwater ports.

We don't need to drill for water - it's free running from the Blue Ridge mtns. Ponds and streams are everywhere. There are several hydropower company lakes, and several nuc plants which results in lower power bills for everyone.

Last edited by OneDawg; 12-11-2018 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Spellung

Old 12-11-2018, 09:25 AM

4,875 posts, read 4,821,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Thats not true. If ss is your only source, some states still attempt to tax it. NM, CO, MT (I know they did it), NE.and some others.
What does still attempt to tax it mean? I just reviewed the instructions for NM PIT and PIT-Adj, and there is nothing in the the instructions for including S/S that is not in one's AGI or otherwise adding it back in if excluded from Federal AGI.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:31 AM

5,050 posts, read 7,436,166 times
Bean counters.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:13 AM

138 posts, read 146,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
What does still attempt to tax it mean? I just reviewed the instructions for NM PIT and PIT-Adj, and there is nothing in the the instructions for including S/S that is not in one's AGI or otherwise adding it back in if excluded from Federal AGI.
I wondered about that, too.

I looked at all sorts of financial pages and they say NM taxes it. But all of the state tax forms I've ever done take figures from federal tax forms. I've never done NM taxes, so I can't say how they do that except by looking at the form. Which I did. I see no place to add the numbers in or anything. It looks very much like the MO form in that regard, taking whatever the AGI on the federal form is and plugging it into the state form.

But I may have missed something in my quick foray into the unknown.

It looks like NM taxes SS at whatever level the feds do. Not a higher tax rate, but the same amount of it being taxed, which is never 100%.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:35 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times
13 States That Tax Social Security Income
Your Social Security benefits may not get a free ride in these 13 states. Find out what you can do to boost your retirement income and get the most out of your Social Security benefit.
Sean Williams
(TMFUltraLong)
Aug 16, 2014 at 8:00PM

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2014...ty-income.aspx

Old 12-11-2018, 11:10 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,530,936 times
WRONG tax-rates.org is much more highly respected. West Virginia and Louisiana have the lowest. You may be looking at total taxes by house where NM does fairly well. That's because NM is a poor state.

Property Tax Rates By State 2018 - Tax-Rates.org

Old 12-12-2018, 11:03 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times
Recently received our Sandoval County, New Mexico, Property Tax Bill. 2018 Tax Bill. For a residence we have owned for 19 years.
Total Taxable Value: $45,878.00
Total 2018 Tax Due: $1,623.16

Old 12-13-2018, 01:24 AM

801 posts, read 2,214,252 times
It seems to me...figures for average property tax by state would be pretty worthless for an individual. People don't live in states. They live in towns, cities, communities. Taxrates.org shows the average property tax in New Mexico is 0.55 percent of the home value. That's meaningless unless someone just happens to be moving to a location where property tax is the state average.

The house I sold in Albuquerque in 2015 now has an assessed value of $307k, with a net taxable value of $102k. Taxrate's figure for the state (0.55 percent of the home value) would be about $1700. Yet...the tax bill for that home is now $4300.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico