Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 05:47 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,458,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you're about a decade too late. The monsoons aren't what they used to be. Some summers, there's not much rain at all. Or somethings they only hit one square block of town, and move on. This didn't used to be the case. And there's no guarantee there won't be a fierce on in the future. But the really spectacular weather, both spring weather & summer is mostly gone. Everything's much milder now, relatively.

IDK, maybe you could luck into something up around Taos.
Actually, most people who study climate change's potential impacts on New Mexico predict that while overall summer precipitation will become more variable and less reliable, individual storms themselves are likely to get more intense, not less.

This is certainly my experience. I've seen summer storms in the last 5 years in Albuquerque that far exceed anything I experienced growing up here 20 or 30 years ago. Golf ball-sized hail. Gale-force winds. Downpours that drop a month's worth of rain in 10 minutes and leave the curbs and gutters overflowing. And that's just in town...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 08:03 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,192,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Maybe someplace in Santa Rosa or thereabouts?

On a day in July, 2013, Santa Rosa experienced a hail storm that left up to two feet of hail at some locations. Snow plows had to be activated to clear IH-70 through town.

Another time, hail piled up along a creek near Clayton, NM that photos documented. There were "cliffs" of hail up to fifteen feet high along the one creek.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:23 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,446,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
On a day in July, 2013, Santa Rosa experienced a hail storm that left up to two feet of hail at some locations. Snow plows had to be activated to clear IH-70 through town.

Another time, hail piled up along a creek near Clayton, NM that photos documented. There were "cliffs" of hail up to fifteen feet high along the one creek.
IH-70 is not in Santa Rosa, New Mexico.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:17 PM

102,301 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Actually, most people who study climate change's potential impacts on New Mexico predict that while overall summer precipitation will become more variable and less reliable, individual storms themselves are likely to get more intense, not less.

This is certainly my experience. I've seen summer storms in the last 5 years in Albuquerque that far exceed anything I experienced growing up here 20 or 30 years ago. Golf ball-sized hail. Gale-force winds. Downpours that drop a month's worth of rain in 10 minutes and leave the curbs and gutters overflowing. And that's just in town...
You must get stronger weather down there. Although a year or two ago, there was a monsoonlet here in town that was highly localized, so I missed it (no sign of anything but light sprinkles anywhere else), that caused such a flood, that the library was closed for weeks afterwards for repairs!

But that's about it, as far as newsworthy extreme weather in SF the last 6-8 years or more. That kind of rain used to happen over half the town, and would last for an hour or two or more, even. And you might remember that the spring weather, March/April especially, used to flip-flip from blizzard one day, to 70-degree spring-like weather the next day, then back to hail or blizzard, back and forth. That was pretty exciting. But that hasn't happened for maybe 10 years. And the March winds come much later now, IF they come at all. Not to mention winter; 1-2 inches (not feet) of snow is all we get anymore (this past winter being a minor exception), which makes driving a lot safer, I must say.

But we'll see. I think we're in some kind of transitional phase, so the future may be different. I've attended climate lectures, and haven't heard the same thing you have, but I'll keep a look out for more of those. Thanks for the weather news from ABQ, though! Sounds eventful!

Old 04-26-2019, 05:38 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,192,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
IH-70 is not in Santa Rosa, New Mexico.

Thanks - you're correct. I had that accident in Lakewood, CO on my mind, I guess.

4 Killed in Truck Crash on IH-70

Last edited by joqua; 04-26-2019 at 05:47 PM..

Old 04-26-2019, 06:10 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,446,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Thanks - you're correct. I had that accident in Lakewood, CO on my mind, I guess.

4 Killed in Truck Crash on IH-70
Netime,joqua.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:58 AM

69 posts, read 81,196 times
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I've got some good places to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico