Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 07:59 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie2019 View Post
I am considering moving to New Mexico later this year. I am thinking- Ruidoso or Alamogordo areas.
I no longer ski, plan to work part time. Would welcome comments from anyone that has lived or curently living in these areas. I am from Texas & ready for a change.
I didn't realize Alamagordo was that big of a change from Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 AM

8 posts, read 11,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I didn't realize Alamagordo was that big of a change from Texas.
Here are some of the reasons I am considering it-
Views of mountains, big enough town to get all the basics ( small farming town I live in doesn't even have a Walmart)
Outdoor activities & places to visit in close proximity
I can easily get back to see family/friends, about a 5 hr drive
Affordable homes & good selection to choose from
I have always loved the Southwest - culture, food, scenery & more!

Old 06-12-2019, 06:30 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
She said it was not alot different than Lubbock weather. The wind & sandstorms here are ugly & depressing & often. Wind is one thing; every place has that; but the sandstorms are nasty.

I've heard that Alamo can get some sand, but it doesn't have the rep that Lubbock has where there are sandstorms two and three times a week during the spring and two or three times a month for several other months.

Furthermore, the statistics in Lubbock will fool you because there are a lot of extremes in the weather which you don't get so much of in Alamogordo. Winter high temps in Alamo are going to be consistently in the 50s and not a mix of 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s that average out to the 50s like Lubbock.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:09 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
I have been going to Ruidoso for many years & I like the area, but real estate is so much higher than Alamo. And I am not sure about the long cold winters.
I've lived in Ruidoso for 13 years. I grew up in IL, lived in CA, AZ, UT, HI and visited and traveled all over the west. I think Ruidoso has a great mild year round climate. Except for the S CA coast I think it's as good as it gets in the US. It definitely doesn't have a "long cold winter". It's only a couple degrees cooler than Lubbock. I bicycle on the roads all year, and I won't go out unless it's above 45 and sunny, and that's the case more often than not, even in the dead of winter.

You'll get more house for your money in Alamo for sure, but in the grand scheme of things Ruidoso is cheap, being a mountain resort town with a lot of services and great climate. Cheaper than any comparable place in AZ, CA, CO, for sure.
For lower home prices take a look at Capitan which is ~10mi north of Ruidoso. Also check out Laborcita Canyon NE of Alamo, and Mountain Park to the east. Both of these are close to Alamo but have more elevation, cooler temperatures, more trees, etc. Probably less dust. And look at Alpine and Fort Davis TX also.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I've lived in Ruidoso for 13 years. I grew up in IL, lived in CA, AZ, UT, HI and visited and traveled all over the west. I think Ruidoso has a great mild year round climate. Except for the S CA coast I think it's as good as it gets in the US. It definitely doesn't have a "long cold winter". It's only a couple degrees cooler than Lubbock. I bicycle on the roads all year, and I won't go out unless it's above 45 and sunny, and that's the case more often than not, even in the dead of winter.

You'll get more house for your money in Alamo for sure, but in the grand scheme of things Ruidoso is cheap, being a mountain resort town with a lot of services and great climate. Cheaper than any comparable place in AZ, CA, CO, for sure.
For lower home prices take a look at Capitan which is ~10mi north of Ruidoso. Also check out Laborcita Canyon NE of Alamo, and Mountain Park to the east. Both of these are close to Alamo but have more elevation, cooler temperatures, more trees, etc. Probably less dust. And look at Alpine and Fort Davis TX also.
I've done the Alpine/Ft Davis thing. It tricks you because although the average highs are 60 winter and 90 summer, there is much more variation in the highs that comprise the average. Same with the lows. They still get some of the "east of the Rockies" weather that Alamo and Ruidoso don't get. I've seen stats that say that Alamo is one of the most consistent places in the country relative to consistent weather.

Ruidoso is beautiful but the great thing about Alamo is that you can still access Ruidoso and Cloudcroft in no time without dealing with any winter or the living expenses. Of course you give up the Alpine beauty of those areas. But yes, for as nice a place as it is, Ruidoso isn't that expensive.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I've done the Alpine/Ft Davis thing. It tricks you because although the average highs are 60 winter and 90 summer, there is much more variation in the highs that comprise the average. Same with the lows.
I can tolerate extremes a lot better when I know they will be short lived I lived in Phoenix for a few years. 4 months straight of crushing pit-of-hades heat is too much! Kauai had very consistent temperatures, but too hot and humid for me all year. Some people love it though.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I can tolerate extremes a lot better when I know they will be short lived I lived in Phoenix for a few years. 4 months straight of crushing pit-of-hades heat is too much! Kauai had very consistent temperatures, but too hot and humid for me all year. Some people love it though.
I lived in Tucson. I hear you. We even felt sorry for the people who lived in Phoenix.

Alamo and LC/El Paso are just one more step down on the inferno level. But Alpine had the type of weather where it would vacillate. You might get some low 80s in the summer followed by some 100 degree weather. Where Alpine disappointed me was it would get bear a$$ed cold sometimes in winter. I even remember some high 30 degrees and rainy type of stuff. A LOT more "plains" type weather than I expected.

I wish there was a southern NM town that sat at about 5000 feet like Albuquerque is. Just to take a little more edge off of the summer.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I wish there was a southern NM town that sat at about 5000 feet like Albuquerque is. Just to take a little more edge off of the summer.
If you are looking for a town that isn't tiny, Silver City at 6,000 ft is probably your best bet. Otherwise there are many little towns at that elevation. Plus the options I mentioned in the Alamogordo foothills.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:32 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Take a look at Socorro.

Quote:
Socorro’s latitude and altitude combine to give it a pleasant year-round climate. Socorro is just far enough south to be spared many of the storms that often touch northern New Mexico. Its elevation of approximately 4,585 feet spares us the extreme heat. The altitude also provides four distinct but temperate seasons.

Socorro summer high temperature averages are in the mid 90s, with no more than 20 days when the temperature reaches over 100F. Winter high temperature averages are in the mid 50s, and winter nights seldom drop to 0F.

Socorro’s low average humidity, little cloud cover, and valley location encourage formation of significant atmospheric stable layers. Normally during the day, air temperature decreases with altitude, but after a clear, calm night, the air next to the ground becomes cooler than the air above.
https://www.socorronm.org/

Old 06-21-2019, 02:14 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
I lived in Socorro for 4 years. It gets real cold in the winter. Other than that it's a decent place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico