Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 10:15 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Any of them. Of, course you might want to define what a "city" is to you. I consider New Mexico to have one urban Metro area plus about 2-3 other small cities.
Here's something, from one of the OP's other threads:

Quote:
I need to be in a city that has everything to offer but with a small town personality. I don't like big city rudeness, fastness, high crime and all the mess associated...
It also depends on what the OP can afford. Santa Fe has a lot to offer, but may not be affordable. Taos--ditto. OP is looking to rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 07:41 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Santa Fe is pretty cool, I lived there for a couple years while working in state govt. One of the cool things about it is the ability to be hiking on trails literally within a five or ten minute drive from your home, no matter where you live in town. We lived in the center and I could be at a trailhead at 9,000 feet surrounded by wooded forests in ten minutes.
That kind of easy accessibility is hard to come by.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:36 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver7 View Post
I want to move to New Mexico but I cannot stand high and wet humidity.

What city in NM should I move to?2
NM does not have humidity like many places in the southeast. I went to HS in NM but was born and raised in AZ. I have lived in humid places such as Florida. The upper midwest also gets very humid in the summer - Michigan, Indiana, Chicago, etc. I still recall the first time I felt extreme humidity in Northern Michigan near Mackinaw City. At that time, another student from the southeast told me Florida was worse and more humid. Years later, I moved to FL for an engineering job and lived there for about 13 years mostly in Tallahassee. But I also lived in Miami. Both places are really humid. That I-10 stretch from New Orleans to Tallahassee can get humid "smog" in the summer. Hurricanes are fierce. During one tropical storm I drove through southern Georgia and recall the water levels rising so high near the rural highway that I literally though alligators might appear (they often do).

New Mexico is not humid by comparison to FL or the uppder midwest in the summer. NM is mostly dry. It has the four seasons. As a guy who spent a lot of time in Phoenix, I do not see Albuquerque or Santa Fe as the "desert" but at a plateau at higher altitude that tends to be dry with snow in the winter and monsoons in the summer. So, to me NM is just right with the four seasons at a higher elevation than Phoenix or Tallahassee.

My house got hit by a hurricane in 2016. I left in 2017. Then Hurricane Michael landed in 2018. I am glad I left FL. Now, they have another hurricane season on the way back in the Sunshine State.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/wea...232455417.html

Old 07-28-2019, 10:06 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver7 View Post
I want to move to New Mexico but I cannot stand high and wet humidity.
High Altitude Health Tips

The weather is one of Albuquerque's greatest attractions. Albuquerque is the "high desert" with an elevation of 5,500 ft. Albuquerque has four distinct seasons, low humidity and more than 310 days of sunshine a year.

Here are some health tips for those arriving from lower altitudes:
Take it easy. Albuquerque's high altitude means air is rarefied, thinner. It usually takes about 48 hours to adjust.
Drink plenty of water! 64 ounces a day is recommended.
Watch your alcohol intake. One drink is the equivalent of three at sea level.
Use sunscreen and wear a hat.
Seniors: Check with your doctor regarding any physical condition that could be affected by Albuquerque's high altitude.

2007 IEEE Pulsed Power and Plasma Science Conference --- High Altitude Tips

New Mexico

Wheeler Peak 13,167 ft
Red Bluff Reservoir on Texas border 2,844 ft

New Mexico Average Elevation: 5,700 ft
New Mexico Elevation Span: 10,323 ft

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_elevation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico