Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:55 PM

332 posts, read 1,120,268 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if there is a mosquito problem around the river? I'm looking at a house near Pat Hurley. In love with the house, but what's the point of moving to Albuquerque if I still have to deal with bugs? (Okay, there are many other reasons to move to ABQ. I'll put sopapillas at the top of list). Anyway, just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 09:02 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,186,131 times
Rio Grande doesn't have very much in the way of stagnant water, so mosquitoes aren't that big a deal there versus elsewhere in the metro (tires, household ponds and pools that have fallen into disrepair are a larger factor). What I found was bad near the river were flies, and then only in spots.

Mosquitoes can be very bad in areas with large lakes, like Eddy County.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:12 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,716,815 times
My standard of comparison to Albuquerque is living in Wisconsin, a humid climate, and when it is warm and humid in the summers, the mosquitoes can range from fairly bad to downright awful.

Transversely, in 4+ years in Albuquerque, I did not sustain one mosquito bite. While I lived in the Heights, I spent quite a bit of time "down by the river"...eg: by the Rio Grande, and never sustained a mosquito bite.

There are some in ABQ that will bemoan the mosquitoes by the Rio Grande, however, in my opinion, that is like those that are used to the lucious circumstances of ABQ's climate and its surrounding environment that complain about the spring due to some windy days (but with it starting in late FEB and most days with highs in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s through early May) eg: ABQ is so nice, the few problems that you get with weather / environment, etc., get well overblown.

I would imagine if you lived where you are looking by the RG, you would likely encounter a few mosquitoes here or there. However, I am also very confident that if you are familiar at all with almost any other portion of the US (which is on average extremely more humid / water-laden than Albuquerque), you'll find the mosquitoes even by the river extremely minimal!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:58 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,290,661 times
The closer you are to the river the more mosquitoes you will have. There are several cases of west nile virus every year in birds, horses and humans. We do have mosquitoes.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:23 PM

Thanks - Zoidberg, that is a good point about stagnant water. I will look at the river near the house to see if there are any obvious places water might pool.

Enjoy - very informative, I will take people's complaints with a grain of salt!

yb - Thanks for the info about West Nile. I will see if any agency has a map of cases, maybe I can get a little better idea if it's a problem where I'd like to live.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:33 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
Riverdogj, worried, continues to investigate:

> ... good point about stagnant water. ... river ... places water might pool.

The stagnant water issue is more with old tires and other 'containers' (including, ironically, birdbaths) that hold water

> West Nile. ... get ... idea if it's a problem where I'd like to live.

Your chances of getting a mosquito 'bite' are small.

*If* you get the 'bite' then your chances of getting West Nile encephalitis is
vanishingly small.

Now, suppose you get 'bit' by a carrier?

"Less than 1 percent of persons infected with West Nile virus will develop severe illness." -- West Nile Virus

In 2006, there were 4,269 cases (severe illness) in the US of which 177 kicked the bucket. You still have a 96% chance that you will not die - even if you get it.

Worrying about West Nile virus in your choice of a place to live in Albuquerque is akin to not being willing to go to the grocery store because of the chance that someone will kill you in a car accident on the way.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:04 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,290,661 times
Yeah I would not stress out over the west nile or mosquito issue either. When I lived in the north valley I would get bit a few times a evening while working my garden. A little deet solved the problem. We live near a clear ditch now and during the summer we get a few bites. No where near as bad as when I lived on the Animas as a kid.

Don't let the skeeters keep you away.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:49 PM

I would never let the skeeters keep me away! We are definitely moving, just wondering about the house by the river.

Mortimer, you are too funny. Good analogy - I think - no, I KNOW - that I am over thinking everything about this move. We love the city, love the house, what more do we need to know? Thanks for the input, I think we're just going to go for it.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:03 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
I would never let the skeeters keep me away! ../..thanks for the input, I think we're just going to go for it.
My 2¢ worth: As a former easterner, the rarity of mosquitos here has been a sheer joy [notwithstanding earlier comments about stagnant water and perhaps proximity to the river].

On trips home to Md, within days my wife usually has multiple mosquito bites. I continuously find them on my arms, especially the scary tiger ones that can be carriers of West Nile(?) or some other disease. Honestly, I don't think either of us has a single bite in NM, in 2 1/2 yrs.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:10 PM

Thanks, Tim. We'll be back out in a month, and if the house is still available, we're making an offer. I think I'm just being a chicken - I've moved around quite a bit within the cozy confines of NYC, but never outside of it. It's decided, I'm taking the plunge, mosquitoes or not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico