Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 03:51 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,232,807 times

Advertisements

I just finished roasting a small sample batch of Hatch chile from the local market.

They were marked as "Extra Hot".

Got them home and fired up the grill and got it scorching hot to roast/blister the chiles, let steam in a paper bag for 20 minutes and had an easy time of peeling.

IMO - not extra hot. Having grown up in NM and enjoying SW and asian cuisine I enjoy a good burn, but maybe it was this batch. I'd say more like medium hot to hot.

I'd also guess that these are not fresh and 'imported' to CA - not as bursting with that green chile wow factor. I'm jealous of you guys that get them fresh right there.

Going to use these tomorrow on some burgers. Then go back for another batch in a week - see if the quality is any different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 09:29 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
I'd also guess that these are not fresh and 'imported' to CA - not as bursting with that green chile wow factor. I'm jealous of you guys that get them fresh right there.
One of my family members lives in L.A. She says sometimes will see people roasting and selling NM chile on the street. I'm assuming this is during harvest time and those people are driving the chile from NM so in these cases is probably just as a fresh as vendors roasting it in NM. You might ask around if you live in L.A. or if you're truly keen on it let me know and I'll ask her for details.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
I just finished roasting a small sample batch of Hatch chile from the local market.

They were marked as "Extra Hot".

Got them home and fired up the grill and got it scorching hot to roast/blister the chiles, let steam in a paper bag for 20 minutes and had an easy time of peeling.

IMO - not extra hot. Having grown up in NM and enjoying SW and asian cuisine I enjoy a good burn, but maybe it was this batch. I'd say more like medium hot to hot.

Going to use these tomorrow on some burgers. Then go back for another batch in a week - see if the quality is any different.
It is always a hit or miss as to how hot, hot really is. A few years ago our local grocery store was roasting them. I went as soon as the ad came out in the paper and they were not ready yet as they had just started roasting them a few minutes before. Anyway I put my order in and went back the next day to pick them up. I spoke to the produce manager. He informed me they were so hot that his throat burned from the roasting Of course he had some that were not all that hot. Well smart A@@ me thinking I know what hot is and thinking her had no idea. He never lived in Texas, NM or So Ca I thought. Of course I took the ones he claimed were so hot. Shock to me, he knew more than I did. I can eat some pretty hot food, but I had to throw them out: no was in God's Green earth could we have eaten them!!!!! When we get them from the same store in a week or two I will listen and not think I know more than the produce manager.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I live in east Texas but saw this post and had to jump in. WE LOVE ROASTED HATCH CHILI PEPPERS FROM NEW MEXICO! We get them in our stores here in late August through mid September or so, and I always buy a bunch of them and freeze them. Even so, we are out of them before the next season rolls around, which is great because then we really start missing them!

Y'all do it RIGHT!

My husband and I much prefer them hot. We are used to hot foods and that's how we like'em! Both of us have lots of ties to Louisiana (hot stuff), as well as Korean and other Asian foods, not to mention Mexican food and Tex Mex - the hotter the better!

We haven't tried roasting them ourselves. i am not sure we even get in any that are fresh, I think they are always roasted already.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:04 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,863 times
I live in the San Diego, CA, area and do my grocery shopping at Ralphs, which is owned owned by the same parent company that owns Smiths. There are single-day roasting events at several Ralphs in SoCal. Below, is a partial schedule.

Saturday September 7, 2019

711 S. Weir Canyon Rd, Anaheim, CA 92808

Pre-orders for these locations will be open at 10 a.m. on Monday September 2.

&

3601 E. Foothill Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91107

Pre-orders for these locations will be open at 10 a.m. on Monday September 2.

Sunday September 8, 2019

5241 Warner Ave, Huntington Beach, CA 92649

Pre-orders for these locations will be open at 10 a.m. on September 2.

&

659 E. Palomar St, Chula Vista, CA 91911

Pre-orders for these locations will be open at 10 a.m. on September 2.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I live in east Texas but saw this post and had to jump in. WE LOVE ROASTED HATCH CHILI PEPPERS FROM NEW MEXICO! We get them in our stores here in late August through mid September or so, and I always buy a bunch of them and freeze them. Even so, we are out of them before the next season rolls around, which is great because then we really start missing them!

Y'all do it RIGHT!

My husband and I much prefer them hot. We are used to hot foods and that's how we like'em! Both of us have lots of ties to Louisiana (hot stuff), as well as Korean and other Asian foods, not to mention Mexican food and Tex Mex - the hotter the better!

We haven't tried roasting them ourselves. i am not sure we even get in any that are fresh, I think they are always roasted already.

We have roasted out own ever since we moved to Bella Vista until the one store started selling them roasted. It is much better to buy them already roasted in my opinion. As for liking them hot, we do as well, but the ones we got were more than just hot OMG!

Old 08-16-2019, 07:43 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
We also "buy them already roasted". Roasting yourself becomes a chore.

But to each his own.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:57 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
It is a chore, but it's one of those old timey chores that the family or a couple can set up shop and do together (like I imagine canning used to be). A couple cold drinks and some music, it turns into good memories and a nice tradition. That said, I've bought them already roasted many times. Needs must.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:00 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
We live 3 miles from Wagner Farms in Corrales, New Mexico which does a lot of Chile Roasting...

When we have visitors/relatives during the season they enjoy
this place (A one minute, 50 second video I did):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQfttbxj9gU

Old 08-17-2019, 02:43 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,232,807 times
I oven broiled a batch of bacon wrapped tater tots with a wedge of freshly cut Hatch chile from the market marked as "Hot" (couldn't find the Extra Hot).

I purposely cut the wedges to include the vein for some heat & pop.

Turned out really tasty; just a hint of heat but had a nice background flavor of the green chile coming thru on the chew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico