Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:25 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times

Advertisements

Last year, shortly after we arrived in Raleigh, you nice folks here on CD told me that Carreboro Farmer's Market would get my beloved Hatch Green Chile's when they came into season.

Well, the season has started in New Mexico. Anybody know if they have arrived locally, or when they will? I'd prefer to get them already roasted, but I've found that my new convection oven does a remarkably good job of roasting chiles (much better than the non-convection one used to do).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 02:29 PM

683 posts, read 1,884,541 times
I was just looking at the Harris Teeter weekly ad and saw "Farmer's Market" (not sure what exactly that means there, but I assume from local farmers) hatch peppers are on sale this week for $1.29/lb.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:35 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
I don't know about the Hatch pepper in particular. I have definitely seen plenty of different kinds of peppers (bell, Italian, chiles, pimiento, shishi-to) in general at the Carrboro Farmer's Market, although with such a cool wet summer I'm not sure it's been a great year for peppers. The folks I know who roast peppers at the market are Peregrine Farm and in their online newsletter they say that pepper roasting at the market should commence on the 24th, but I don't know what varieties they roast. Might be worth a drive over just to check it out.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
I stuffed 2 produce bags full last year. I probably had 30-40 peppers. I roasted them on the gas grill outside and put them in freezer bags to last the whole year. We're down to our last few peppers, so hopefully they arrive soon.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:19 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

What's at Carrboro Farmers' Market

Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemi808 View Post
I was just looking at the Harris Teeter weekly ad and saw "Farmer's Market" (not sure what exactly that means there, but I assume from local farmers) hatch peppers are on sale this week for $1.29/lb.
Thanks VERY MUCH for the heads up on this! I posted a question about the dates and times for Hatch chile roasting on Harris Teeter's FB page and received the following reply:
Central Region:
Store #136 (Falls Point, Raleigh, NC )– 8/17 and 8/18
Store #257 (Crescent Commons, Cary, NC )– 8/24 and 8/25

All events take place 10am-7pm!

I'm there!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:50 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I'll bite. What is a hatch chile? Sounds like a cross between a new fish and a veggie!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'll bite. What is a hatch chile? Sounds like a cross between a new fish and a veggie!
LOL! Sorry, maybe it's a regional addiction.

Hatch is a town in New Mexico. Something in the dirt or water or weather allows them to grow a green chile that consistently, year after year, come out hotter that most other Anaheim-like varieties. Some years are hotter than others.

Interesting tidbit for chile heads: Generally speaking, the darker the green of the chile, the hotter it will be (when comparing the same variety of course).

There is a mild Hatch green chile, but I don't care about that. I'm interested in the variety called Sandia, the hottest, or Big Jim, which is medium hot. Buying them already roasted takes one step out of the tedious process of roasting and peeling them, then putting them in snack pack baggies for the freezer.

You sometimes see Anaheim's sold as Hatch Green Chile's, but the real deal comes from Hatch, NM and has a limited season.

Hatch has also been 'borrowed' as a brand name for generic canned green chile's. (If you must use canned chile's, there are better brands.)

Some other information and recipes:

Hatch Green Chile

Old 08-16-2013, 11:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
If they're grown in New Mexico, how do they end up at the Carrboro Farmers Market?

Quote:
Three very important features make the Chapel Hill/Carrboro Farmers’ Market truly a farmers’ market. The vendors themselves produce all goods sold at the Market. Everything comes from within a 50-mile radius of Carrboro, and you will also be talking to and buying from the growers themselves, as vendors must represent their own products.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Thanks VERY MUCH for the heads up on this! I posted a question about the dates and times for Hatch chile roasting on Harris Teeter's FB page and received the following reply:
Central Region:
Store #136 (Falls Point, Raleigh, NC )– 8/17 and 8/18
Store #257 (Crescent Commons, Cary, NC )– 8/24 and 8/25

All events take place 10am-7pm!

I'm there!
No kidding. I LOVE the smell of these chilis roasting in those big drums.

I'll still probably buy them and roast them myself though.

Here's our favorite recipe

Cheese and Chile Quiche Recipe at Epicurious.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary