Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 01:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
We live 3 miles from Wagner Farms in Corrales, New Mexico which does a lot of Chile Roasting...

When we have visitors/relatives during the season they enjoy
this place (A one minute, 50 second video I did):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQfttbxj9gU
Poncho, you don't have to mention Wagner's. It is still one of the things I miss the most about NM and I also love Corrales..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 02:09 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Poncho, you don't have to mention Wagner's. It is still one of the things I miss the most about NM and I also love Corrales..
We have now been here in Rio Rancho 20 years. Longer than any other place...

Old 08-27-2019, 07:33 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,228,168 times
Roasted up and peeled a new batch from the grocery store as toppings to a tri-tip sandwich (leftovers from Sunday bbq).

Wow - now these were HOT! Hiccup inducing hot w/ brow sweat.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:54 PM

U-Pick Green Chiles and Farmers' Market
Pick It and Stick It (In Your Freezer)
Image via Pixabay

Quote:
Ah, the fall season is soon upon us, and with it comes the smell of roasting chile in the air. But some of us are a bit more particular, no? We have preferences in quality, shape and, dare I say, size? Why settle for a random assortment when you can find the perfect fit for your life? Don’t worry, my friends, because Big Jim Farms Chile U-Pick event is officially a go, starting in September. Saturday, Sept. 7 from 9am until 6pm you can go out and find the exact chile for your life. At $1.50 per pound, you’ll struggle to not walk away with a ton, though discounts are available for larger purchases; pay just $35 for a 40-pound sack. So go get your fill and stock up. Stoke the chile envy of your neighbors with a well-stocked fridge.
Entire Article At: https://alibi.com/events/315209/U-Pi...rs-Market.html

Old 09-02-2019, 08:42 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Have they started the outside market roasting of the Hatch chiles yet?

I sure miss the sights and the wonderful smells.
ya they have started the roasting,OP.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:58 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times
I've only seen one outdoor roaster so far. Probably more will start cropping up.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:53 AM

Chile is normally roasted and sold in mid-September, but the weather had an impact on this year’s crop of Chile, more roasters appearing through the end of summer and into early fall.

Chile Traditions” in Albuquerque started roasting in July.
Walmart Supercenter, Supercenter #3731, in Bernalillo started in early August.
Chile Konnection Produce on Broadway Boulevard North East is roasting.
Big Jim Farms.. chile roasting on Rio Grande Blvd in the Albuquerque area. https://www.facebook.com/kenneth.ric...24406415582284

There are other roasters.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-05-2019 at 12:03 PM..

Old 09-06-2019, 10:42 AM

Though we only have one store that will roast them, we do have them available at most of our stores now. Just yesterday I was so excited: we got them at one of our local grocery stores for .49 a lb. Last year they were over a $1. I think I may go back tomorrow and grab a few more. Hubby will roast them in the next day or so. That is what we do most years. Of course the only concern I have is how hot they may or may not be and if you knew our produce managers around here, you would know there is no reason to ask them. They don't even know what Hatch clilies are, they just know they are some sort of peppers. I actually explained to the assistant manager yesterday a little about the history of the chili.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Though we only have one store that will roast them, we do have them available at most of our stores now. Just yesterday I was so excited: we got them at one of our local grocery stores for .49 a lb. Last year they were over a $1. I think I may go back tomorrow and grab a few more. Hubby will roast them in the next day or so. That is what we do most years. Of course the only concern I have is how hot they may or may not be and if you knew our produce managers around here, you would know there is no reason to ask them. They don't even know what Hatch clilies are, they just know they are some sort of peppers. I actually explained to the assistant manager yesterday a little about the history of the chili.
Arkansas
2019 Hatch Roasting Locations in Arkansas
[Updated 8.13.19]

Harps Food Stores

Roasting events start Aug 7 and will go through September, as long as stock is available. Roasters are at each location from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on designated days

Hatch Chiles in Arkansas

Old 09-06-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Arkansas
2019 Hatch Roasting Locations in Arkansas
[Updated 8.13.19]

Harps Food Stores

Roasting events start Aug 7 and will go through September, as long as stock is available. Roasters are at each location from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on designated days

Hatch Chiles in Arkansas
Thank Poncho: that is where we usually get them, but when we say the price at our store even a bit closer I couldn't resist getting them and having hubby roast. He has done it a few times before when friends bring them too us from NM while passing through. I was all set to use Harps even at the extra expense. I one time had to explain to them what Hatch Chilis were as well as explaining to the produce manager yesterday. Next year our new super Harps will be open (it is to open in less than a few weeks) then I probably will just use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico