Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 12:55 AM

1 posts, read 10,809 times

Advertisements

I'm loocking for information about this city which I'm plaing to get there in auguest as agraduate student in highland university,anyone form this area like to help.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-17-2013 at 10:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2006, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 16,441 times
Default Las Vegas, New Mexico

Hello ... I'm planning on moving to Las Vegas for graduate studies in a month or so, but now I'm panicked. Everything I read about it before made it sound very peaceful, tame, and pleasant ... but after reading these forums, I'm kind of terrified. I don't know if I could handle living in a place with high crime and a hostile atmosphere. Is it really that bad? Are there any positives, or would it basically be horrible for a girl in her early twenties, moving away from her roots for the first time?

Old 07-04-2006, 11:17 PM

827 posts, read 5,078,454 times
Default Las Vegas

Poppyfish, I just can't recommend Las Vegas, NM to you. My dad lived there as a kid and he is a Native New Mexican but he wasn't born in Las Vegas so the kids routinely beat him up and he had to carry a brick around in his lunch bag to school to protect himself and that was many years ago and from all I've heard it hasn't changed. I would transfer to either Silver City, NM or Durango, Colorado; they both have fine schools. I just have to be honest and tell you I'd look elsewhere. I feel if I didn't warn you and you moved there and something happened to you, I just don't want that on my hands so now at least I did warn you. Actually I'd much rather live in Albuquerque anyday over Las Vegas.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:59 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
I grew up in New Mexico. Las Vegas is the worst community in the state. (Truth or Consequences is actually uglier, but Las Vegas is far more dangerous.)

This summer, I was in a small town in Minnesota and I got into a conversation with a guy who was the local guidance counselor at the junior high. As soon as I told him I'd grown up in New Mexico, his eyes widened, and he said, "You aren't from Las Vegas, are you?" Turns out he and a group had spent one night there and been robbed.

So even as far as northern Minnesota, Las Vegas, NM has an infamous reputation.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:03 AM

34 posts, read 294,213 times
Default Old & New Las Vegas

My mom grew up in Las Vegas, and that is where my parents met.
My mom has told us over and over how mean 'Vegas was. And 'Vegas seems to be divided into Old Las Vegas and New Las Vegas. There are (were?) only 2 high schools - yep- one in Old 'Vegas and one in New Vegas and the wars between them were horrific.

By-the-way, I haven't ever heard anything good about Highlands academically. Why are you going there?

Old 07-12-2006, 04:25 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
You would be better off doing your studies at the highland's branch in Rio Rancho.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 32,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyfish
Hello ... I'm planning on moving to Las Vegas for graduate studies in a month or so, but now I'm panicked. Everything I read about it before made it sound very peaceful, tame, and pleasant ... but after reading these forums, I'm kind of terrified. I don't know if I could handle living in a place with high crime and a hostile atmosphere. Is it really that bad? Are there any positives, or would it basically be horrible for a girl in her early twenties, moving away from her roots for the first time?
HI poppy im shar and if you do not have the ability to let every bad thing that you see happen then i would not move here i just moved here from C.A and I have found that retaliation is the #1 thig here if you tell on someone you will get hurt Just some friendly advise
Shar

Old 07-22-2006, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 32,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyfish
Im shar and to let you know i just moved here from Ca and retaliation is #1 here so dont tell on anyone and you will be fine just friendly advise

Old 07-22-2006, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 28,774 times
Stay away from Las Vegas!!! I just went through there and found it to be a "quaint" yet scary town. As a young lady in your 20's it is not a town for you to be in! I would heed the previous posts from those who seem to know more!

Old 07-22-2006, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 28,774 times
Default Curious about something regarding Las Vegas

Some friends and I just came back from a vacation and had to stop in Las Vegas, New Mexico. Does anyone know the history behind the "port of entry" type structures that say "Bienvenidos a Mexico????" at one of the exits off of I-25? We almost thought we had taken a wrong turn and were entering Mexico!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico