Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:44 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,426,539 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering. . . .

Does the film industry, which the governor has been wooing for the past several years, have a tangible effect on the state's economy?

Do the tax incentives offset the income that movie makers bring? Will there be long-term benefits to the economy?

In other words, is this a good or bad thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 08:30 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,417,165 times
Im a NM State Film Liaison and it is excellent for NM. The effect on the economy is a very good one. The Tax benefits offered are obviously excellent, the money that movie companies spend while is the state is HUGE which has a great effect on local economy. And that isnt just while they are here, along with movies comes the Tourism of people wanting to see where it was fimled etc. It givest he state good recognition too. I know we have seen lots of $$$ because of a UK TV Reality show filmed here partially.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:14 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,088,548 times
My cynical take on the film industry is that they seem to shut down a lot of streets during rush hour on "work days" more often than they should. (I hear about it on the radio traffic reports.)

The employment that they bring is a good thing though. I'm guessing that the relocated workers and new hires will mostly be the "worker bees" and the "heavy hitters" and stars won't be relocating to Albuquerque any time soon.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:26 PM

1,763 posts, read 6,000,320 times
Here's an article that ran in the journal about a week ago.

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Film Tax Credits Grow Fast

By Andrew Webb
Moderator cut: Copyright © 2007 Albuquerque Journal; Journal Staff Writer

Last edited by Marka; 12-30-2007 at 01:59 PM..

Old 12-28-2007, 05:02 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,182,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
My cynical take on the film industry is that they seem to shut down a lot of streets during rush hour on "work days" more often than they should. (I hear about it on the radio traffic reports.)

The employment that they bring is a good thing though. I'm guessing that the relocated workers and new hires will mostly be the "worker bees" and the "heavy hitters" and stars won't be relocating to Albuquerque any time soon.
Film production and location shooting have to have the locations and light (time of day) they need in order to complete shooting on schedule. Delays are very expensive, thus I haven't minded any of the minor disruptions around LC during a recent shoot here.
Stars will fly in and out, or live in Santa Fe, but if enough film production work comes to NM the technical people needed (the vast majority of people employed by a movie) WILL be able to live in NM and make a good living.
There might need to be further tweaks to the state incentives, but overall its a great, great thing for New Mexico.
Something that can't so easily be measured is movie and TV's effect on tourism, but I think it's substantial.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 17,417 times
Default Moving to NM and looking for work in film

My boyfriend and I will be relocating to NM (most likely Santa Fe) later this year and have begun employment research. We currently live in NYC where I am a social worker and my boyfriend works for a cable network. He has extensive experience in film and is wondering where he should start in terms of looking for work in film in NM. Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated...for social work also! Thanks so much in advance!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:41 PM

502 posts, read 1,380,884 times
Home :: New Mexico Film

Old 01-16-2008, 08:58 AM

332 posts, read 1,036,194 times
He should contact IATSE Local 480. They are the source for most of the film work in NM. If he's not a member, he should become one. IATSE Local 480 - Film and Television Technicians of New Mexico
Good luck with your move to Santa Fe. You'll enjoy it here!

Frank.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:01 AM

5 posts, read 17,417 times
Many, many thanks to you both!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:30 AM

20 posts, read 79,980 times
Question Film Industry Jobs... Considering Moving From Orlando

My husband has just finished his bachelor in Film in Orlando, we have heard Albuquerque is becoming very popular for film industry.

Is this myth, rumor or is there truth to this. Is Albuquerque BOOMING for the film industry or is it slow going?
Films are filmed all over, even Fargo & Kalamazoo!! Doesnt mean move there.

Now, of course you have L.A, Vancouver & other places but can anyone tell me if there is an abundance of film industry prescence in Albuquerque that would make moving there a good idea.

Here in Orlando we had back in the 80s-90s all the rage about Universal And MGM at Disney and it turns out there is very little going on at all in the film industry in Orlando... but theme parks.

We know the Albuquerque studios is there but is it being utilized enough to warrant moving there,.......... they built studios in Orlando with hopes of it being the next Hollywood and that failed miserably.

There is very little job info in the usual film job places, online sites and other, for Albuquerque. Anyone know of good sites for this would be helpful also. The Albuquerque Studios site has nothing. Nor do the usual film job boards have anything nor can I find many production offices with much.

We are looking at Albuquerque & Miami ( Miami has an abundance of entertainment industry jobs) so if anyone in the film industry or knows about the film industry in Albuquerque New Mexico could respond, give us your thoughts,... that would be great.

Thanks and have a great day!

Last edited by HPfeiffer; 01-21-2008 at 09:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico