Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 08:45 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times

Advertisements

It seems like the desert southwest ( at least the Ruidoso area ) and the PNW have swapped weather patterns. The Ruidoso area has been mired in a month long mostly cloudy/party cloudy pattern, with an occasional blue sky, sunny, wind free day to keep everybody from going completely nuts. Sunshine has become a scarce commodity. I'm beginning to believe that 'sunny New Mexico' is just another myth to drum up tourist dollars!

Summers in Ruidoso are absolutely delightful, but November thru mid March really sucks.

For those of you who lived in Ruidoso over the years, is this obscene amount of cloud cover, along with the unrelenting wind, par for the course at this time of the year??? Totally unexpected on my behalf.

Looking at temperature averages, winter in Ruidoso looks quite mild, but when the howling wind and the lack of sunshine is factored in, it's actually pretty darn unpleasant to be outdoors much of the time after Halloween.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 03-20-2020 at 10:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 11:51 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,309,602 times
Do you not know apparently this weekend 3 asteroids passing earth at a very large distance will have possibility of causing atmospheric air burst. Now sure what is meant by them. On my hunt for CV news someone posted a link to chinese twitter message that shows extreme winds in China no province was named.
I do not remember where/which site....think one of the reddit/r/ perhaps.
About the asteroids see https://www.ibtimes.com/nasa-spots-4...eekend-2943375

Old 03-21-2020, 09:42 AM

Nerys52SoSilver

If you see a connection between these 2 situations, would you provide details about the connection you see? Thanks!

Old 03-21-2020, 12:03 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,309,602 times
See www.godlikeproductions.com I only read there sometimes not a member.
You must filter a bit, not all is true, but things are there sometimes before the news.
Daily Mail UK also did news on this. Somehow with CV news this got less news.
There is also comet Atlas. See glp too and DM allthough tabloid they say things.
Went to look again glp as many new threads see this
https://www.godlikeproductions.com/f...age4269422/pg1
Sometime ago also on glp say "look up" when persons talks how it happen.
Someone keeps posting, Angela knows her molecules she has PHD chemistry and PHD physics. Finally A youtube video the comments are interesting scroll down a bit, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6gQkVqpgIo

I used to post vids to Pinterest ...later i want view again video deleted. Bit odd. I looked up your profile. Ruidoso means noisy. I looked up the town looks nice.
Last month I was looking at NM history, images. Maybe they want everyone indoors.

Last edited by Nerys52SoSilver; 03-21-2020 at 12:14 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 02:07 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
The reason the mountainous area in New Mexico like Ruidoso are green is that they receive more precipitation than desert areas. To have precipitation you need clouds. It shouldn't be unexpected to find more clouds in Ruidoso than nearby Alamogordo for instance. Ruidoso averages 20 in. of rain and 28 in. snow per year which is high for New Mexico.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:54 PM

Thanks aries63

I am aware of that. The greater precipitation total is one of many reasons I moved to Ruidoso from my home of 13 years in Grand Junction Colorado where annual precip is less than 10 inches. GJ also has much hotter summers, and colder winter temperatures than Ruidoso.

With so much cloud cover there has been only minimal precipitation nonetheless. Seems like alot of grayness with no tangible benefit. The relentless wind makes it even drier.

June - July - August - September are the wettest months in Ruidoso, and also much sunnier than this winter has been.

Still wondering if an actual long term Ruidoso resident would tell me wether or not the cloudiness this winter is the norm or just an occasional aberration.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 03-21-2020 at 05:21 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 04:50 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Still wondering if an actual long term Ruidoso resident would tell me wether or not the cloudiness this winter is the norm or just an occasional aberration.

This winter was closer to the long-term "norm" than most winters of the recent past. There are winters when the snow base reaches twice the depth of this past winter.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:40 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Thanks aries63

I am aware of that. The greater precipitation total is one of many reasons I moved to Ruidoso from my home of 13 years in Grand Junction Colorado where annual precip is less than 10 inches. GJ also has much hotter summers, and colder winter temperatures than Ruidoso.

With so much cloud cover there has been only minimal precipitation nonetheless. Seems like alot of grayness with no tangible benefit. The relentless wind makes it even drier.

June - July - August - September are the wettest months in Ruidoso, and also much sunnier than this winter has been.

You say that Grand Junction has colder winters than Ruidoso? I would have never suspected this. Ruidoso is almost same elevation as Santa Fe. Grand Junction is much lower elevation.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:48 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
You say that Grand Junction has colder winters than Ruidoso? I would have never suspected this. Ruidoso is almost same elevation as Santa Fe. Grand Junction is much lower elevation.

How ya be Mike?

Yep, Colorado's western slope is a lot different than Colorado's front range (Denver, Ft. Collins, Colorado Springs.) The Fall in GJ is quite pleasant but come early December comes the cold. The temps from early December to early February the highs are 25-35 and the lows are usually in the 10 degree range. It finally warms up to 40 around Valentines Day.

I envy ya Cosmic, regarding Ruidoso. A beautiful place, haven't been down there in a few years. I wouldn't mind living there!

Mike, I owe ya a dm!!

HH

Old 03-23-2020, 08:52 AM

681 posts, read 1,206,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Latitude has a similar effect on temperature as elevation. Generally, the farther north or south from the equator you go, the colder the temperatures will be. Local terrain features play a role, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico