Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 08:52 PM

429 posts, read 1,476,700 times

Advertisements

So, NM has a state income tax, correct? How exactly does it work... silly question I know but we've never had to deal with them before. I'm assuming it's equal across the state - meaning the same rate statewide, not like a city and/or county sales tax.

And while we are on the subject - what about city/county taxes in the SF/Abq area?

I know I can find this on a google search but I've learned it much more fun to post and watch the games commence!! (and hopefully in more of laymen's language, not taxese)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 09:52 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
NM has a personal income tax. If you want to get an idea of what your taxes might be like, I've found the easiest thing to do is take your federal income tax return, and use those numbers to pop into the state return for a quick and dirty tax estimate.

From the NM Tax & Revenue website, FAQ's:

1. Does New Mexico have a personal income tax?

Yes. New Mexico imposes a tax on the net income of every resident. Residents are taxed on the net income from employment, unearned income, gambling, pensions, annuities, and income from real or personal property in this state or from businesses located in this state. Non-residents are taxed on the net income from property, employment or business in New Mexico. New Mexico's personal income tax piggybacks" on the federal return and uses the federal adjusted gross income figure as its base. Net income usually equals federal taxable income, although some special deductions are available. New Mexico uses the same dollar amounts as the federal government for personal exemptions, standard deductions and itemized deductions.

2. What is New Mexico's personal income tax rate?

New Mexico uses a four-bracket, graduated-rate table ranging from 1.7% to 5.3% of taxable income.

3. Who is required to file?

Two situations require you to file personal income tax returns in New Mexico:

a. If you are required to file a federal tax return with the IRS and you are a New Mexico resident, you must file a state income tax return.

b. If you are required to file a federal income tax return with the IRS and you are a nonresident with income or loss from any business transaction, property, or employment within New Mexico, you must file a state income tax return

New Mexico doesn't have a sales tax, it levies a gross receipts tax on businesses and the businesses usually pass the tax onto the consumer/client in the same way as you would a sales tax. The state rate is 5%, I believe, and then counties and municipalities are allowed to add on additional taxes. Here in ABQ, the total rate is 6.875%, although with rounding you usually end up paying 7% (it's not like you can pay with a 1/2 a penny, KWIM?).

Old 04-28-2008, 06:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
If a penny is worthless is half a penny half as worthless or twice a worthless?

Under 2% income tax is less than I pay for working in Massachusetts.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:19 AM

946 posts, read 3,264,802 times
Default Property tax

Santa Fe County has a property tax and I would guess that other jurisdictions do also.

In Santa Fe County it is not much by eastern US standards, but nothing to sneeze at. There are limits on increases on homeowners, so a buyer can get an unpleasant surprise when he/she gets hit with the accumulated deferred increases. I would check before I bought.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Always check before you buy - anything!

Old 04-28-2008, 03:59 PM

Great! Thanks everyone!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:24 PM

801 posts, read 2,211,710 times
Soggy...I would add a little info to yukon's comments. Although the New Mexico rates range from 1.7 to 5.3 percent, the "ramp" is quite steep. That is, you only have to get to $16,000 of taxable income to reach the 5.3 percent...so all money above that level gets taxed at 5.3 percent. The rate between $11k and 16k is 4.7 percent. So...if you have a moderate income level, a good rule of thumb is that you can count on paying about 5 percent of your taxable income to the land of enchantment.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:11 PM

hmmm, good to know mrgoodwx. I'm sure every penny goes to good use too. ;-)

Thanks for the tidbit, something else to factor in.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:41 PM

332 posts, read 1,035,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyInSeattle View Post
I'm sure every penny goes to good use too. ;-)

hmmm to you, too. That's a whole 'nother thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico