Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 5,639 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to farmington New Mexico how is it there? Mountains dessert , climate and all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 01:30 PM

moving fom Wisconsin where it really sucks here!!

Old 05-10-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyc49 View Post
moving fom Wisconsin where it really sucks here!!
to Farmington New mexico

Old 05-10-2008, 01:36 PM

I hear all the time about how nice it is there and the cost of living. I love the mountains and am courious as to how far away rhey actually are, in Farmington that is?

Old 05-10-2008, 02:32 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,658,447 times
Quote:
I am considering moving to farmington New Mexico how is it there? Mountains dessert , climate and all?
Probably help if you started a thread for Farmington tammy !! They are gabbing about Desalinization on this one.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:49 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,404,275 times
The idea of a desalinization plant is great, I also think about it all the time.
I guess it is just the cost that is prohibitive, but so is the war in Iraq.

The question arises as to what would happen if water was so available in the southewest at point that it could hardly be wasted!
-would population see an explosive growth?
-what would happen to the deserts?
-how much water and land would be aloted for agriculture?
-would irrigation drastically change the environment and maybe weather patterns?
-etc.......

Old 05-10-2008, 02:53 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,404,275 times
Quote:
feel free to create a separate thread with this topic my friend.
It will be more appropriate for a better responce...

Old 05-10-2008, 04:54 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,097,554 times
6/3 helpfully suggested:

> Probably help if you started a thread for Farmington tammy !!

Not to be sarcastic, er, ... OK to *also* be sarcastic - it would probably help to use the [Search] function visible in the blue bar near the top and [Search] for other topics on Farmington.

When the results come up, ignore the threads related to South Carolina and Connecticut and *only* click on the ones related to NM. I found 487 threads. This is not an exaggeration. Here is but a sample:
--------------------------------------------------
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...loomfield.html
--------------------------------------------------
After finding the threads with good information, it would also be helpful to read stuff in those threads.

After digesting the information contained in those threads and finding you still have questions, then post and ask.

I'd like to answer some of the specific questions asked by tammyc49, but I'm prohibited from doing so in this thread.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:15 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,097,554 times
WildWestDude asked:

> ... desalination ... the cost that is prohibitive, ...

It depends on what you are using it for. The cost is probably prohibitive for use in irrigation where consumption is measured in 10,000 gallon increments per household per month.

Consumption for human needs is a fraction of that and not likely to be prohibitive as long as you don't live 50 miles away from work and commute in a 6,000 pound vehicle.

> ... what would happen if water was so available in the southewest
> at point that it could hardly be wasted!

I would have used a different choice of words, but I think the answer to your question can be found in the central valley of California - the Sacramento Valley in the N and the San Joaquin Valley in the S. The water for that agricultural economy was developed and paid for by someone other than the end users.

-would population see an explosive growth?

I bet growth would be higher, but the SE of the US has grown free of water worries until recently. Much of the growth is for the superior climate. Almost no one has *not* moved to the SW because of water worries. Some people are worried about it, but it has not stopped people from coming.

-what would happen to the deserts?

See comments above on the California central valley. Also see the results of unlimited water availability on the area around Phoenix.

-how much water and land would be aloted for agriculture?

If the water was free for the taking and available to anyone who wanted to set up a farm, then all the flat bits.

-would irrigation drastically change the environment and maybe weather patterns?

I don't think this has happened in CA or AZ. There are small, localized differences between now and the way it was 200 years ago, but nothing drastic.

Our overall weather patterns in the US are determined by latitude, the Pacific Ocean, the mountains, and the Gulf of Mexico and sometimes by the Atlantic Ocean. Oh; don't forget the Jet Stream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico