Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,367 times

Advertisements

Im Leaving California Because It Has Gotten Too Expensive To Make A Living! Im A Medical Assistant And My Husband Is An Auto Technician, We Make Ends Meet But We Work So Hard And Never Have Enough To Go Out Alot, So We Decided To Give New Mexico A Shot. At First We Wanted To Go To El Paso But I Have A Relative In New Mexico. I Have A Bunch Of Questions, If You Have An Answer To Any Of My Question Please Let Me Know Or Advise In What I Should Do. Here Goes, Is There Alot Of Job Offers For A Medical Assitant? What's The Salary For Them? How About An Auto Technician? How Many Dealers, Or Is There Any Nearby? I've Been To Las Cruces Once But I Was Too Young To Remember, How Is It Like Over There? Alot Of Malls And Restuarants? Now What City Or Town Is Nice To Start Renting A House? I Have Three Kids And Im Looking For A Nice Neighborhood, No Gang Related Activity. Now This Is Very Important, I Suffer From Migraine Headaches, So In The Summer It Tends To Get Worst, How Hot Does It Get Over There In The Summer? I Know It Will Be Alot Different From Cali, But I Know We Can Adjust, Any Museums, Parks, Family Outings? Besides Craigslist Are There Any Other Website I Can Look Up House Rentals? If You Have Any Info Or Advise Please Let Me Know, Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:29 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,939 times
Default maybe

1. There are doctors and auto dealers in all the larger towns.
2. The higher you go in altitude, the cooler you get.
3. Santa Fe and Los Alamos are probably a little pricey for you.
4. Ruidoso at 7,000 feet still has less expensive housing.
5. Mountain towns east of Albuquerque would be cool and would be fairly close to museums and jobs.

I don't know about gangs. You hear different things.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 AM

576 posts, read 2,307,922 times
Default But first...

Jenny, my advice would be to spend some time reading various posts on this forum. There are pages and pages of information and opinions on various areas of the state that would answer your questions. There is even a thread about places that don't get too hot in the summer. Then, when you might have narrowed down your search to a particular area, and have learned as much as you can from what has already been written here, you could ask some very specific questions.

New Mexico has a huge range of places--from cities to small towns, from mountainous regions to plains, from snowy climate to mild. Housing varies from southwestern style to Texas-style and beyond. This website, General Information about New Mexico (http://lib.nmsu.edu/cruces/nmgen.html - broken link), has a ton of links and lots of photos so that you can get an idea of the different areas.

I spent a lot of my childhood in California and it was always too crowded for me, even way back then. You're going to love our big spaces and big sky (and lower cost of living). Good luck with your research and let us know how it's going.

~clairz

Old 05-08-2008, 06:27 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
Great advice, clairz ~ I tried to give you rep points but it's too soon.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:17 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,192 times
Default Advice to Jenny

I think Clairz said a lot but my Advice to check out the EAST Mountain Area they rarely get to 100 degrees and nights can get in the 40s in the Summer. Lots of Snow and below zero temps in the WINTER. I would suggest rent a motel in Moriarty which is in the center of N.M or rent to own a place in the East MOUntain area and explore N.M and surrounding Little towns they have wonderful people and not much crime to speak of. The Medical Field or hospitals or home health cares are every i would think. Theres a few auto shops and stations and car dealerships and a new Wal Mart in that area that might be looking for help. If you like Country life and lots to do in the summer and fall read the EAST MOuntain TElegraph and The Independent and find out whats going on there. Its a half hour drive to Albuquerque or Santa Fe from the East Moutain area. TIP any places from central N.M. down are going to be very hot with the exception of Ruidoso and CLoudcroft. Central N.M. is in the 5 to 6000 7000 elevation. Northern N.M. can stay in the 20s all the way to the End of June. Central N.M. and the East Mountain area can still get snow till the end of May. pintada kid at webtv dot net

Old 05-09-2008, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,367 times
Thanks For All Your Replies!

Old 05-10-2008, 09:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
As far as allergies, those seem to be worse depending on what it is you are allergic to. Some people moving to this part of the country will find their allergy symptoms are lessened, but some will find them worsened.

If you aren't allergic to what's around in the air here, then you may find it better -- but the wind can stir up dust and pollens that can make the most unallergic person feel a few symptoms.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:55 AM

946 posts, read 3,265,939 times
Default The wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
but the wind can stir up dust and pollens that can make the most unallergic person feel a few symptoms.
Yes, the wind is the killer. For me it is the Juniper pollen which comes in the spring just in time for the wind to kick it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico