Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 05:08 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,660 times

Advertisements

If you could describe the typical New Mexican in a few words, how would you do it?

What about the typical New Mexican city?

I live in central NM and, when trying to describe this area to out-of-staters, I always fumble for words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 05:19 AM

908 posts, read 2,852,933 times
Typical New Mexican:
Independent
Non-conforming
curious (What's around that ridge? What's the story behind that art?)
Aware (There's lots to treat the senses, and New Mexicans seems attuned to that.)
Appreciative (Especially of culture and the environment/outdoors)
Proud (if not your heritage, of just being from here. It's a relatively small state population-wise. Especially given it's size. So being from such an unusual state feels like being in the 'in the know' crowd many times.

Typical New Mexican city:
Struggles with the constant push for growth and the want to keep it's unique and 'smaller city' character.
Considers water use every day.
Offers experiences from an amazing mix of cultures.
Is always on the verge of being 'great' if it weren't for itself.

FUMBLE!........Fumblerusky.........Fumbeliah!

Last edited by ziaAirmac; 05-10-2008 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: couldn't help my self... moleh moleh moleh

Old 05-10-2008, 07:50 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
If you could describe the typical New Mexican ...
Can we define *typical* New Mexican?

Is it someone who was born in New Mexico?

Are people who have emigrated to the state from elsewhere considered New Mexicans?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
I don't think there is a typical New Mexican city or town because they are all unique, they have their own character. Deming for example isn't Santa Fe. Farmington isn't Carlsbad. Las Cruces isn't Taos.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
I live in central NM and, when trying to describe this area to out-of-staters, I always fumble for words.
Don't try to make it seem too appealing because then they'll all want to move here. Too many people don't really want to live in a small town or city, they right away will want to start bringing in the big city excitement and lights and malls that they left behind.

People who really like the big city things should just find themselves that. If they need a lot of ballets and operas, then New York City is a better place to head.

If they like the big sky, the bright starts at night, sunshine, desert and pine forests, the yipping of coyotes at night instead of the shriek of ambulances and police sirens, then they might like New Mexico. If they like a lot of big lakes or oceans then NM isn't where they need to be.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:59 AM

946 posts, read 3,264,802 times
Default All immigrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Are people who have emigrated to the state from elsewhere considered New Mexicans?
Everybody here came from somewhere else - even the Pueblo Indians. It is only a question of how long ago.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:06 PM

775 posts, read 2,587,352 times
Default A New Mexican

I would think that the Typical New Mexican is one who can move here and like the State and its people. As for how long these people have lived here..... The Mexicans and the Indians have lived in the Americas for over 40 000 years. They are the True Native Americans. The Spanish over 500 years and the rest of the Whts 200 years. TIP .. To Learn about N.M. and its people better then they know their own History read the Book... NORTH FROM MEXICO by Carey McWilliams and learn the True History of the Southwest. This book is used in some Colleges throughout the Southwest. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 05-10-2008, 09:21 PM

908 posts, read 2,852,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Can we define *typical* New Mexican?

Is it someone who was born in New Mexico?

I took it to mean anyone who chooses to call New Mexico home.

Malamute, I'm not sure how to tell you, but I think the word is out. I know what you're saying, but hopefully the call of the beaches and ocean will deter enough to keep things sane.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I don't think there is a 'typical' New Mexican, any more than there is a 'typical' Texan. I agree that every town is different. Some of the little towns seem a lot alike, but that is probably only because I'm not familiar enough with them. A 15-minute drive-through doesn't really get it.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Please don't include me in the shopping malls and city excitement bunch. I'm looking for quiet, dark sky, and access to open space. Like everybody I’d line a grocery, drug, hardware and gas station reasonably nearby. I would likely need a hospital close enough to help when I eventually fall and break something or do something similarly stupid (like have a heart attack).

As far as the typical New Mexican, I expect I just become one someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico