Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:21 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,994,098 times

Advertisements

I have a general question about real estate values in Lamy, south of Santa Fe. Can anyone give me a ballpark prevailing per-acre price for acreage in this area for a tract containing about 150 acres, undeveloped?

I don't know the exact location in relation to highways or other developments, but if anyone can provide some context for me for this area, it would be greatly appreciated.

Willy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 04:02 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,939 times
Default Lamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
I have a general question about real estate values in Lamy, south of Santa Fe. Can anyone give me a ballpark prevailing per-acre price for acreage in this area for a tract containing about 150 acres, undeveloped?

I don't know the exact location in relation to highways or other developments, but if anyone can provide some context for me for this area, it would be greatly appreciated.

Willy
Very general -- may not help you at all. It is where railroad stops closest to Santa Fe City and the passengers got off -- but now some list it as a ghost town -- some people do still live there however. It is south of the interstate and not too far from some nice areas or from Santa Fe City.

I wouldn't assume that it could be developed -- Santa Fe County might tie you up in knots. You would have to look into water issues.

I am not a realtor -- others might be able to help you more.

It is named after an Archbishop.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:21 PM

Default Hwy 285

Thanks for the info. I've seen other references to the water issues south of Santa Fe, so I'll keep that in mind.

I've learned that the particular land in question has an address on hwy 285 and is on the tax rolls for over $500,000. In my experience, the true market value would be expected to be a bit higher than what is reflected on the rolls. Is that generally true in NM as well?

Any other thoughts?

Anyone familiar with websites that are helpful references for researching property in Santa Fe County (for example a tax parcel map)? The County charges annoying fees to use theirs, and even then they only set up an account for you after you have given them a good explanation of why you need it.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:29 PM

332 posts, read 1,035,789 times
There was 12 acres for sale in Lamy for $215,000, or $17,200 an acre. It was withdrawn in early 2006, but that gives you an idea of the pricing. An active comparison might be the 30 acres currently for sale in Galisteo for $400k, or around $13k/acre. So much, of course, depends on the location of the land. For example there's 300 acres available in nearby Glorieta at $3,600 an acre, but it's Mesa-top land.
Hope that helps. You are welcome to contact me directly for more detailed info and more specifics....

Old 05-12-2008, 04:54 PM

Your 'true market value' statement is correct, in that land is always reasseses upon purchase, and not consistently reassesed between transactions, so if the land doesn't change hands the assessment is often off. These days, of course, the land valuation could be off either up or down...

New Mexico is a non-disclosure state, so ownership/purchase price isn't readily available. Realtors have access to a proprietary tax database for Santa Fe, Rio Arribal and Los Alamos Counties.

Last edited by santafescribe; 05-12-2008 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Clarification.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:26 PM

Default Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
I've seen other references to the water issues south of Santa Fe, so I'll keep that in mind.

I've learned that the particular land in question has an address on hwy 285 and is on the tax rolls for over $500,000. In my experience, the true market value would be expected to be a bit higher than what is reflected on the rolls. Is that generally true in NM as well?
A couple of things here. There are two aspects to the water question.
a. Is there any potable water somewhere down under the ground? And some places to the south have problems.
b. Can you you use it if it is there? This is a question that will come up anywhere in the city or county. I truly do not understand all this, but if you are buying then you should be informed. The Santa Fe New Mexican on line will help some. Two recent stories -- Eldorado so far denied the right to drill another well, and a developer having to continue to scale back his plans.

Assessment. Again two things. The County for a long time has not systematically reassessed, but at this point if you buy, you can just about count on a big reassessment. Then however, they will be conservative, assessing for less than your purchase price.

Again, hope that helps.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:28 PM

Default Water, water everywhere?

Devin Bent's right to focus on the water in the Galisteo Basin. Any purchase contract should be totally contingent on proven and certified (by the State Engineer) availability of water rights. And "an existing well" does not equal water rights. Hire a good water lawyer!

Old 05-14-2008, 03:01 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,721 times
The State Engineer will not certify water rights. You should hire an attorney that is well-versed in water law and water rights.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:06 PM

Thanks Devin and Santafescribe. Very good information and advice.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:57 PM

Another thing might mention. I have friends who looked at a large parcel southeast of Santa Fe. They were looking just to build their own home there. Very late in the discussion it came out that the seller didn't have clear title to it all -- that a very desirable chunk right in the middle was contested.

They were heart-broken -- they thought they had found their dream property. Maybe this could happen anywhere. I don't know. But maybe it is something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico