Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:53 PM

261 posts, read 938,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Moab is nowhere near Monument Valley or Mesa Verde. Please explain yourself better and are you camping or staying at a hotel?

I suppose "near" is a relative term. Moab to Cortez (Mesa Verde) is 120 miles, Cortez to Monument Valley is around 150 miles. Seems close by to me, but other's mileage will vary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:13 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,224,062 times
Re: LRUA, I've been to all those places, several times. Yes, visit Mexican Hat and see the hat (once).

Please tell us your experience at the San Juan Inn including your dinner and presumably their restaurant.

Anybody who doesn't pay the fee and take the self guided trip into Monument
Valley is an idiot. Okay you can take the tour bus, and you will not be an idiot. Pick one or the other. The roads are fine, trust me, drive yourself and take all the time you need.

Gooseneck is a very unusual place. Nothing to do there but look, but the scenery is awesome. You must do it once. I've done it several times. Then take the Moqui Dugway and drive to Natural Bridges NM and camp there (no accomodations) and hike in the gorge. There are great secrets there!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post
I suppose "near" is a relative term. Moab to Cortez (Mesa Verde) is 120 miles, Cortez to Monument Valley is around 150 miles. Seems close by to me, but other's mileage will vary.
120 miles is too far, trust me. Cortez is near Mesa Verde. It is distant to Monument Valley. If you want the nearest city to Monument Valley it is Kayenta, AZ.

Again, Cortez is only for Mesa Verde.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 PM

261 posts, read 938,414 times
Quote:

Cortez is near Mesa Verde.

Uh, yeah. I've lived here for over 50 years. I kinda know where it is.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:59 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,615,418 times
San Juan Inn in Mexican Hat, Utah is OK, nothing fancy but it was clean, I stayed there in winter, I think there are only 2 motels and 1 B & B in Mexican Hat and the San Juan Inn was the only one open in winter ...it is overlooking the San Juan River and is at 90 degree bend in HWY 163 where it crosses the San Juan River, behind the motel are spectacular red rock cliffs.

It has a restaurant (the only restaurant open in winter) but I was being very cheap on that trip I just snacked on food I brought with me in a cooler, infact I didn't eat at a restaurant until a couple days later in Kingman,AZ (Burger King had a special on cheese burgers)

I also agree about Gouldings Trading Post, definitely worth seeing, I took alot of pictures there, all the buildings are practically built into the red rock cliffs.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:32 AM

9,391 posts, read 20,891,437 times
Thanks all for these suggestions. My wife and I decided we are going to camp, and the campsite mentioned on the AZ-UT border looks very appealing. Would you all recommend this, or another campsite?

Old 05-22-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Thanks all for these suggestions. My wife and I decided we are going to camp, and the campsite mentioned on the AZ-UT border looks very appealing. Would you all recommend this, or another campsite?
Presuming you mean Monument Valley, if you're camping you should stay at the Tribal campground right in the park. A picture is better than a thousand words, just look at this google map of Monument Valley. (This link is an incredible view so take a look!) The arrow is right on the visitors center, the campground is all those dots to the south (down) and you can't tell from the satellite shot but the visitors center and campground are perched on a ridge about 500 feet above the valley, and the view is spectacular! (The ridge runs north-south just east of the visitors center and campground.) So pay attention: get there early and get a campsite right at the eastern edge of the campground. Trust me you'll love it.

I've attached some pictures I took in camp. The drop-off is about 6 feet beyond my tent. (1) Looking at my tent, behind it the valley and Merrick Butte (2) From inside my tent you can see Merrick Butte (right), East Mitten (left) and the shadow to the left of that is West Mitten. (3) From south looking at campsite, visitor center in background, drop-off to right.

Finally, here's the link to Monument Valley Tribal Park Information. Read it!!! And when you get there, remember that Lovehound sent you!!!

Greg/Lovehound

Last edited by Lovehound; 03-26-2017 at 09:24 AM..

Old 05-23-2008, 07:32 AM

9,391 posts, read 20,891,437 times
Quote:
Presuming you mean Monument Valley, if you're camping you should stay at the Tribal campground right in the park. A picture is better than a thousand words, just look at this google map of Monument Valley. (This link is an incredible view so take a look!) The arrow is right on the visitors center, the campground is all those dots to the south (down) and you can't tell from the satellite shot but the visitors center and campground are perched on a ridge about 500 feet above the valley, and the view is spectacular! (The ridge runs north-south just east of the visitors center and campground.) So pay attention: get there early and get a campsite right at the eastern edge of the campground. Trust me you'll love it.

I've attached some pictures I took in camp. The drop-off is about 6 feet beyond my tent. (1) Looking at my tent, behind it the valley and Merrick Butte (2) From inside my tent you can see Merrick Butte (right), East Mitten (left) and the shadow to the left of that is West Mitten. (3) From south looking at campsite, visitor center in background, drop-off to right.

Finally, here's the link to Monument Valley Tribal Park Information. Read it!!! And when you get there, remember that Lovehound sent you!!!

Greg/Lovehound
Thanks,

Your posts have completely influenced our vacation plans next month. This is why I really love C-D, posts such as these from people who are qualified to give advice.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:25 AM

You're welcome!

And this final bit of advice: The camp sites nearest the drop-off into the valley have the best views, and actually the scenic views are astonishing! To find the best camping site, get to the campground around maybe 10 a.m. when people are leaving, spot some spots you like and if they are occupied you might ask them if they are leaving or staying another day. Plan your driving to arrive at MV in the morning and get your campsite staked out before you do anything else. Or if having a scenic campsite isn't important to you then you can probably arrive later in the day. I don't know if they sell out but that's possible particularly during holiday weekends.

The restroom building also has coin operated showers. I think the last time I was there there was no heated water but it was a hot day and no big deal.

You can drive the valley loop scenic drive in your own car in perhaps 4 hours, or longer if you like to dilly dally at each of the stops and perhaps bring a picnic lunch. There isn't much point in driving the same loop twice so it's a one day thing. Or you can take a guided tour in which case you'll get to see more sights that aren't on the self guided tour. Non-indians are not permitted to drive anywhere except the scenic loop, and even there only in the daytime. The tours can go to additional places because they are Indian guided.

I once stayed at Monument Valley for 3-4 days and just spent most of my time in camp, loitering, puttering, reading, relaxing, just enjoying the view. The view from camp is just astonishing particularly if you get one of the prime campsites.

One final word, anybody considering going to Monument Valley and Mesa Verde, there's another good place to visit nearby (couple hundred miles therabouts) is Canyon de Chelly. (NPS website link) Worth considering for future trips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico