Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 01:33 PM

16 posts, read 49,488 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, after many years in Oregon I'm thinking of returning to New Mexico. I lived in Abq for a decade in the mid 80's-90's but I'd like to move to southern NM this time. My lungs just can't handle all this moisture any more.

Can you recommend an area within 20 miles commute of Las Cruces where I can rent, lease, or own some undeveloped property that doesn't cost a fortune for a year or two(or even permanently) while I find my place in the sun. That's prosaic for "while I look for a job." I want to live off the grid in my yurt using solar and rainwater catchment so utilities are not required. I guess it could even be in city limits but I'd really like a starry view at night. Do you have any ideas about locations not too very far away. I'd say 20 miles one way is the max. Thanks for your local knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 05:30 PM

16 posts, read 49,488 times
Default Old Issues

Those issues are mostly irrelevant to my needs. Solar power is cheap and composting toiletry is bulletproof and perfectly legal. Southern NM's 8-10 inches annual precip is good enough to harvest drinking, cooking and bathing water. I don't want to garden like an Oregonian so there's no great water needs.

What I really hope to find is a relatively scenic location in outside of city limits but an easy commute. How's the Organ and Radium Springs areas for example?

Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,735,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonslee View Post
Those issues are mostly irrelevant to my needs. Solar power is cheap and composting toiletry is bulletproof and perfectly legal. Southern NM's 8-10 inches annual precip is good enough to harvest drinking, cooking and bathing water. I don't want to garden like an Oregonian so there's no great water needs.

What I really hope to find is a relatively scenic location in outside of city limits but an easy commute. How's the Organ and Radium Springs areas for example?
Both probably have potential for what you are looking for. I'd also add Dona Ana proper which is outside city limits.

I'd say NE of the Porter exit of Highway 70 up to and including Organ offer some good possibilities as well and it is a reasonable commute to Las Cruces proper.
And the views from that area are unbelievably beautiful

Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 PM

690 posts, read 1,730,876 times
In addition to finding your place of solitude on Earth.
Have you read how others have done it as well.
I encountered this gentleman's blog.

The Field Lab

He moved East of El Paso in Alpine.

As for me; outside of El Paso, I thought I would have ended up in Carrizozo, N.M., but
life choices directed me elsewhere.
Good luck to you in your search.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:48 PM

7 posts, read 27,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonslee View Post

You are misinformed if you beleive you are going to catch enough water to drink, bathe and cook. We sometimes see 300 days between rains.

Good luck my friend. Please brush up on the Chihuahuan desert before comitting. You can easily live off grid here as many do, but plan on hauling water or bailing from a shallow well.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-22-2011 at 02:09 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,961 times
Default Know Someone Who Does

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomiles View Post
Loved that film, and would love to check it out someday. Anybody here actually live out there or know someone who does?

I have a dear friend who lives in Taos. I go to visit him every summer I can. Back while he was still living here in Ohio, before I had ever been there, he used to tell me all kinds of stories about Taos. My favorite were the stories he told of Two Peaks and the people. He has a couple of..um..eccentric..friends that live there. I heard more of them during my visits to Taos - "Twilight" and "Thebes." Interesting stuff that I'll never forget! That was a few years ago, so I was pretty surprised and thrilled to see the documentary. I hope we can pay Two Peaks a visit when I am there in August....

Old 07-02-2011, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,984 times
Hello, we are small family who have decided that we no longer want to participate in the destructon of mankind and our plant. We wood like to learn to live off grid buy building a earth ship. we wood like to do this in utah if possable but do not know where to start. we have been doing some research in to this but any info regarding how we could do this would be helpful. we dont know the laws regarding building a structure of this kind or the water rights. we would like to set a realistic plan to be able to be off grid with in 2-5 years. we however have verry littel money and need to find out all the possable costs of things and what we would have to have to start this life style. thank you for any and all of your help.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-02-2011 at 04:49 PM..

Old 07-02-2011, 02:42 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,637,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgettray 92 View Post
Hello, we are small family who have decided that we no longer want to participate in the destructon of mankind and our plant. We wood like to learn to live off grid buy building a earth ship. we wood like to do this in utah if possable but do not know where to start. we have been doing some research in to this but any info regarding how we could do this would be helpful. we dont know the laws regarding building a structure of this kind or the water rights. we would like to set a realistic plan to be able to be off grid with in 2-5 years. we however have verry littel money and need to find out all the possable costs of things and what we would have to have to start this life style. thank you for any and all of your help.
Most land that you can actually live off and be self-sufficient and maybe have chicken and livestock is pretty expensive these days. Red dirt and rock can be had for cheap but will not provide for you or it will be too expensive to make it fertile. Not to discourage you but getting into the lifestyle and setting yourself up to actually live cheaply will cost some. Fertile land that will provide for you and your animals in places where water can be a issue (like NM, CO, UT, AZ, parts of TX etc.) will cost even more.

OD

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-02-2011 at 04:51 PM..

Old 07-02-2011, 08:04 PM

390 posts, read 953,107 times
Number one, there is a good article about worker shortages in North Dakota. You can find it on YAHOO news. McDonalds is paying $17.00/hr. It looks promising for young couples that want to change their lifestyle. Also, i ran across Dome Houses yesterday on the internet and found them very compelling. Good luck in your search. I realize that McDonalds is most likely not what you call "going green", however a buck is a buck and it might give you a start towards your goal.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:52 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,637,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caydriver View Post
Number one, there is a good article about worker shortages in North Dakota. You can find it on YAHOO news. McDonalds is paying $17.00/hr. It looks promising for young couples that want to change their lifestyle. Also, i ran across Dome Houses yesterday on the internet and found them very compelling. Good luck in your search. I realize that McDonalds is most likely not what you call "going green", however a buck is a buck and it might give you a start towards your goal.
How does this have anything to do with living off-grid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico