Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 04:23 PM

146 posts, read 440,513 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Just wanted to let you all know that my hubby will be making the trip down to Alamo next week.

He and a friend of his will be riding scooters down (Honda Reflex and Silverwing), leaving Iowa on the 4th. At least, that's what the plan is! LOL!! Depends a little on the weather, don't want them out in bad storms...

Their plan is to take 3-4 days to get there, and then who knows how long to check out the area! I expect him to call me on or about the 10th and tell me to give notice at work and start packing!

I've been off of work since the 14th, with foot surgery, and have been pretty drugged up, so haven't been on lately. Stitches came out this past Tuesday, and now I'm walking little by little!

See you all soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 04:51 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times
Right on Cindy as i'm happy for you guys !! Which highway (U.S. 82 East or U.S. 54 South) are they coming into to Alamo from Iowa as i might add a few tidbits to see or expect along the route.

6/3

Old 05-29-2008, 05:18 PM

146 posts, read 440,513 times
Expected route is to go to Grand Island, NE, 281 S to Hwy 50, to Dodge City, KS. From Dodge City, Hwy 56 to I-25 to Las Vegas, NM. Out of Las Veges, Hwy 84 S to St. Rd. 219, then Hwy 54 to Alamo.

DH as posted this trip on his scooter boards, and they are very excited. He's calling this a "last blast" trip - but I know better - LOL!!

Old 05-29-2008, 05:52 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,846 times
Cindy, you will have to let us know how the trip is going for them. It sounds like they will have lots of fun on the trip. If they have questions be sure to ask us.
Glad the surgery went fine and you are back to walking again. It will help when you start packing.. Just tell them to watch the speed, heard that state police in a few states are out in full force with the start of summer.
Jane

Old 05-30-2008, 05:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
chiligal - they are on Scooters so really excessive speed should not be a problem. I have done a couple of long distance motorcycle trips and I envy them and wish tehm well.

When I finally move to NM I am not going to ship my motorcycle from New Hampshire. I am going to ride.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:16 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBQuilts View Post
Expected route is to go to Grand Island, NE, 281 S to Hwy 50, to Dodge City, KS. From Dodge City, Hwy 56 to I-25 to Las Vegas, NM. Out of Las Veges, Hwy 84 S to St. Rd. 219, then Hwy 54 to Alamo.

DH as posted this trip on his scooter boards, and they are very excited. He's calling this a "last blast" trip - but I know better - LOL!!
Cindy.....just some quick info .....let them know to be expecting lots of SemiTrucks on U.S. 54 as it's the ''Nafta Highway'' as they come out of El Paso/Juarez and head to points in the midwest so it can be a tad nerve wracking on the 2 lane highway. I almost always a State Police (Black vehicle) or County Sheriff (White vehicle) that patrols the Carrizozo area looking to give tickets when i travel thru there...lol... so just wanted to pass along.

Once they get into Corona as they'll start seeing the mountainous terrain most of the way down to Alamo from there so they'll have some nice views for the 90 miles down into Alamo.

Have fun !!!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:45 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,345,786 times
Cindy-

How exciting about the bike trip for your husband. I hope him and his friends wear helmets though but I'll not get off subject.
Glad your surgery went well and you're walking again.
Start packing.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 AM

775 posts, read 2,588,535 times
Default Semi Traffic

I would say that the Semi Traffic is lots heavier on the INterstates then on the other highways and its much safer driving on the N.M. highways that arent interstates. I travel most of the Highways around N.M. and prefer 54 and 60 and 285 which have Semi traffic on them but not like the INterstates which are beginning to look like a Railroad line every other Vehicle is a Semi it seems. If you want to see N.M. on a Bike stay off the Hi Speed dangerous interstates if you can and enjoy the Country by traveling through the small towns and highways. From Las Vegas N.M. to Alamogordo is right at 200 miles. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 05-30-2008, 10:05 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
chiligal - they are on Scooters so really excessive speed should not be a problem.
I take it you know nothing of Honda Silverwings? A coworker of mine drives one, that sucker is FAST! I believe he said it has a 600cc in it, or something along those lines. In any case, it can suck the doors off most cars, and a lot of motorcycles, too!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I was attempting sarcasm. I know Silverwings are quite quick. A Vespa they ain't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico