Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 05:21 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,959,019 times

Advertisements

I vote fro Manny's Saloon in San Antonio. Say hello to the stuffed lion in the back room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 07:28 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,261,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfmccoy View Post
when mirrors on cars are either missing or duct taped....

Hey! I resemble that remark! I broke the power, heated frou-frou mirror off my expedition within six months of buying it. Let's just say it involved two starving horses and a bale of hay.... I tied it up with baling twice to get home and it's been ziptied on ever since... so that's what? Four years? I just change the ties ever so often.... I can't see paying 400+ bucks for a MIRROR!
Guess i'll fit in jest fine.. lol

Old 07-16-2008, 12:34 PM

68 posts, read 257,982 times
Hi all!
Can I play too? Okay here it goes.

You know you are in New Mexico...

when the majority of the citizens are latin.

when you pass your neighbors house and smell tortillas and chile cooking!

when your little girl turns 15 and the family gives her a quinceanera! (pronounced keen-se-a-nyera, it means 15 & its a huge fiesta in honor of your little girl turning 15!)

when most of the ladies here have several names to their name...Julietta Carmen Beatriz Santa Maria de Villla Cobos-Roberts!
(if you are a Julietta Carmen Beatriz Santa Maria de Villa Cobos-Roberts this was purely accidental and never intended to exploit your name)

when mommi & papi, Guela & Guelo (grandparents), tio beto, tia maria, tio julian, & brothers jose, marco, tomas, francisco, nicolas, richie along with their wives, & sisters marta, luisa & teresa along with their husbands, & grandchildren & cousins jose jr, marco jr, tomas jr, nicky jr, ricardo jr, marianna, susana, vanessa & miriam and finally Father Juan, get together to come see my sons little league baseball game and then after the game we all go to Walmart!
(names have been changed to protect the innocent)

ta-da!

Last edited by TerraSol; 07-16-2008 at 02:03 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 02:18 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,059,751 times
you know your in New Mexico when most of the people in the court system and our city leaders are realted in one way or another, and let their friends and family members get away wity stuff

Old 07-16-2008, 03:12 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,225,870 times
I know I'm in New Mexico when I pass a sign that says, "Welcome to New Mexico."

Haha, okay, not funny. At least my post helps balance the discussion.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:28 PM

702 posts, read 2,300,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
You know you're in New Mexico when many of your friends and relatives in other states think you have moved to a foreign country....or keep referring to your new residence as "Arizona."
Ha, I thought I was alone with that one! Every time I converse with a former boss I left behind in another state, he asks how the weather is "down there in Arizona"...though he's sent me things in the mail addressed to New Mexico.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:12 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,059,751 times
Why do people get Arizona and New Mexico confused? I've never heard that before but some of you have had the experience before.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:34 PM

68 posts, read 257,982 times
I've only had one person ask me if New Mexico was in the US, and I thought she was kidding...she wasn't. But, it seems to be happening a lot, according to the posts. Aren't they still teaching Geography in the public school system?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:41 PM

946 posts, read 3,273,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraSol View Post
I've only had one person ask me if New Mexico was in the US, and I thought she was kidding...she wasn't. But, it seems to be happening a lot, according to the posts. Aren't they still teaching Geography in the public school system?
I think part of it is that the rest of the US is becoming homogeneous while New Mexico has retained its distinctiveness. So when you get off the airplane in ABQ, it does seem like a different country to people.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:46 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,744,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Why do people get Arizona and New Mexico confused? I've never heard that before but some of you have had the experience before.
They don't, dsun. They never confuse AZ with NM!!

Basically - and I have experienced this like Towanda has tenfold since foolishly moving back to WI - everyone asks me "Arizona this" and "Arizona that"...

I was out shoveling out from 15 inches of snow this winter after a colossal blizzard, and as I was, my neighbor (told him several times had moved from NM back to WI in casual conversation, plus, he sees my 2 cars with their NM plates every day) innocently and politely asks "I bet you are missing Arizona right about now?"

Tons of folks at work ask this all the time too, even though they know it was ALBUQUERQUE, NM I was moving back from.

You'd be shocked at how little New Mexico has recognition of outside of the Southwest in the US. People are geographically challenged. They really, honestly, barely realize that New Mexico exists. To them, the *Southwest* essentially means: 1. Phoenix, 2. "Anywhere around Phoenix" (which, even though they may / may not realize it, would include Tucson), 3. Las Vegas.

People in most of the US die - just die! - knowing that "Arizona" could "get snow"...again, they have no concept of mountains, altitude, etc. To them, Flagstaff being only 2 hours from PHX should be 108 degrees with palm trees and no snow.

People are still much more geographically challenged than folks would realize.

PS: A lot of this is exactly why I LOVE New Mexico...and what severely kindled my interest in New Mexico in the first place. I love that New Mexico most assuredly *isn't* "Arizona".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico