Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:16 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,619,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Seen those in California and Arizona...be more creative...
Yeah, but do you have signs like the one I saw flashing this morning:

"Don't Drink and Drive"
"100 days and nights of summer, cops everywhere this summer."

I'm not informed as to the statistics on DUI around here, but they sure do create the perception that we need DUI roadblocks everywhere and at all times. I wonder what would happen if they also started checking immigration status. Probably we would lose a good portion of our work force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 11:33 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,059,751 times
You know your in New Mexico when the welfare office is full of nice vehicles on expensive rims, and 15 year old pregnant girls driving them.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,892,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Yeah, but do you have signs like the one I saw flashing this morning:

"Don't Drink and Drive"
"100 days and nights of summer, cops everywhere this summer."

I'm not informed as to the statistics on DUI around here, but they sure do create the perception that we need DUI roadblocks everywhere and at all times. I wonder what would happen if they also started checking immigration status. Probably we would lose a good portion of our work force.
I think unfortunately that New Mexico is way at the top of the states in DUI's. I read once that it's not only the drivers that are the cause of DUI deaths but often drunk pedestrians. It can be pretty hard to see someone at night step out in front of you.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:58 PM

33 posts, read 158,934 times
You know you're in New Mexico when......
you hear the word Mañana more times then you care for.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:05 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,225,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
You know you're in New Mexico when decorating for Christmas involves paper bags, sand, and candles.

~clairz
Oh yeah!!! I've heard about that. I'd love to see it!!!

The pictures I've seen are charming.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:27 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,190,889 times
Here's a quick look from Christmas in Mesilla, Dec. 07
Attached Thumbnails
You Know You're in New Mexico When...-dsc00335.jpg  

Old 06-02-2008, 07:53 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,261,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
haha when the water is cleaner than regular mexico!
Funny you should mention that.... upon learning we're visiting and probably moving to NM we've been asked TWICE in the past week "You can't drink the water there, can you?" Um......

Old 06-02-2008, 07:59 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,965,841 times
You know you're in New Mexico when...

customer service suddenly takes a dive.

Everywhere you look, it's brown.

Every other sign has Richardson's name on it.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:10 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,619,602 times
You know you're in New Mexico when one of the first things someone asks you is...

Where are you from?

Old 06-02-2008, 12:59 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,744,027 times
Default Red or Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
jazzlover related:

> You know when you're in New Mexico ... asks are, "Red or green?"

I LOVE that!

I used to pine for it when I was 'abroad.'

Red or Green? He|| yes!

I bet EnjoyEP wishes someone, anyone would ask him that! Just once this year.
You know me too well mortimer. I miss having chile. I miss it a lot. I miss being able to even say "chile" and have folks around me realize I am talking about "chile", not that stuff known as "chili"!!

I have to admit, I am kind of a "both" guy, but rarely did I do this response, even though I always kind of wanted to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
You know you're in New Mexico when "Christmas" can mean something else other than December 25.
(I felt like I would be too much of an d&#*-transplant trying to fit in and acting too hard at doing it. I think though when I am again in NM, I shall be more comfortable with using the Christmas response!)

As far as an answer to Clair's question, I think Towanda had a great answer!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
You know you're in New Mexico when many of your friends and relatives in other states think you have moved to a foreign country....or keep referring to your new residence as "Arizona."
ESPECIALLY the whole "Arizona" thing!!! Gee whiz, I still have my NM plates on my cars up here (shhhhh...don't tell the local traffic enforcement folks! I just haven't had the heart to get them changed yet)...anyway, so my neighbors up here *SEE* the friggin' plates (and of course we've talked to them as it is), and yet, when I was out shoveling mounds of snow this past winter, they'd say (friendly and innocently) "yep, I bet you really miss ARIZONA right about now" without fail!! I have gotten the "Arizona" thing up here this year - seriously - probably 50 times or so by various, well-intentioned folks.

And of course, my grandmother wept out of loving caution for us when she heard we were moving to "New Mexico", thinking we'd be lost living in another nation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico