Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,948 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to Alamogordo, I am originally from there and trying to convince my wife that is from Indiana to move there but all she sees is the bad about Alamogordo. She has looked up several things about the crime and the schools. and has also seen on this forum that there are alot of homeless people in the area. I hope that this is not true, but if it is then that is something every city deals with.

Also how is the drug seen there, I have kids and do not want to expose themto more drugs than there is here. I am excited about coming down there to visit. I will be there with her on the 10th of June. If anyone has any inormation for me about this it would help alot.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 05:24 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,613,699 times
I don't know where she read there were a bunch of homeless people in Alamo, but when I was there that was untrue. In fact, there were hardly any homeless there that I can recall.

There is a low crime rate, and in my opinion less drugs than elsewhere in the country. I don't like Alamogordo because of the lack of entertainment, dining opportunities, rural character and weather. But if you are looking for a place that is safer and with less homeless people, Alamogordo probably fits the bill.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:01 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,645,394 times
Hi MTH.....

Honestly the best bet is for you and her to go and visit and make your own decision on that. Some like me Love Alamogordo and the area there and others hate it. Keep in mind that it's about 40,000 with little industry except the Airforce base so it depends on what you plan to do for a living unless retired.

As for crime is see alot of property crimes there in the paper but it's rare to ever hear of murder or armed robbery etc...I personally would move there tomorrow if i could find the kind of employment i have up here in Albuquerque but again it's what you know.

6/3

Old 06-02-2008, 06:14 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,025,937 times
I am from northern Illinois and I love Alamogordo. I know its so different from Indiana, and some like it, some don't.
As for the panhandlers that are on many corners, they never bother anyone, and they make a business out of getting $ from the passers by. Its much warmer in Alamo in the winter than the north, thats why they are there.

When you come down in June, it will be hot, for anyone from the midwest.. But the humidity will be about 70% less than what you are used to. You may not notice it right away, but if driving back to Ind, when you hit Interstate 35 you will start to notice it.

If not Alamo, think about Cloudcroft... Also Alamo will not be the same as when you grew up. Everything changes.
Jane

Old 06-03-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
I don't know where she read there were a bunch of homeless people in Alamo, but when I was there that was untrue. In fact, there were hardly any homeless there that I can recall.

There is a low crime rate, and in my opinion less drugs than elsewhere in the country. I don't like Alamogordo because of the lack of entertainment, dining opportunities, rural character and weather. But if you are looking for a place that is safer and with less homeless people, Alamogordo probably fits the bill.
Vinegaroon.........are you feeling o.k???? You actually said something nice about Alamo !! I'm just jiving ya dude as i understand that Southern NM is not for all. Reminds me of the Northern Arizonans vs the Southern Arizonans or North Floridians vs the South Floridians when i lived there. Jacksonville and Miami hate each other there. .

Old 06-03-2008, 08:46 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,613,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Vinegaroon.........are you feeling o.k???? You actually said something nice about Alamo !! I'm just jiving ya dude as i understand that Southern NM is not for all. Reminds me of the Northern Arizonans vs the Southern Arizonans or North Floridians vs the South Floridians when i lived there. Jacksonville and Miami hate each other there. .
6/3, I don't hate Alamogordo, I just don't belong there. I had a lot of good times at the Plaza Bar with friends, and enjoyed White Sands and the hiking in the Sacramentos. I am not a small town guy though, so after awhile the place started getting to me. Now in Fanta Se, and it is actually still a little too small town for me, but the skiing makes up that. As you might have guessed, I am not a summer person. Just counting the months until the powder flies again and I can hit the slopes.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:25 AM

775 posts, read 2,589,281 times
Default Alamogordo is Nice

I Rarely go there but last time i was there looking for a Glass place people in all the Business places were very helpful and Friendly. I just dont like the Heat in Southern N.M. as for homeless or Panhandlers i never saw any and i was all over town.<<< Tip for Panhandlers >>> Carry some Coins in your pocket and if someone asks you for money DONT reach for your Wallet give them some coins or money from your pant pockets and they will be happy with that especially in the Indian Reservations besides you might need them for Directions or possibly protection if you get into trouble. The Center of N.M. is the Right Temp for me because its has both the Hot and Cold Weather and the Snow and lots of wind so we have the Best Fresh Air in the World. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 06-03-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
6/3, I don't hate Alamogordo, I just don't belong there. I had a lot of good times at the Plaza Bar with friends, and enjoyed White Sands and the hiking in the Sacramentos. I am not a small town guy though, so after awhile the place started getting to me. Now in Fanta Se, and it is actually still a little too small town for me, but the skiing makes up that. As you might have guessed, I am not a summer person. Just counting the months until the powder flies again and I can hit the slopes.
Yeah i hear ya as i understand completely.......Powdered snow and Skiing/Ski Resorts and winter fun to you is like summer heat and jet sking at Elephant Butte and motorcrossing the canyon trails to me . Nice to know NM has something for all.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:00 PM

45 posts, read 175,975 times
I have seen no panhandlers at all. Do you and your wife like small mid-west towns? Alamo is like a those except for the low humidity, sunny days and CLOSE, CLOSE proximity to the mountains. Is it hot? Umm...the temps are high but to me it is not hot and if it is too hot for you 16 miles, 20 minutes and 4300 feet in altitude gets you 20 degrees cooler. As yourself, how long does it take you to get to a particular location where you are located. Chances are the same conveniences are about the same distance from Alamo.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:41 AM

25 posts, read 77,438 times
We're moving to Alamogordo as well, and we are going to homeschool our kids. We heard the schools were really bad (heard from local ppl) so that is our decision. I will also work from home doing translation (English to Norwegian or vice versa).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico