Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,259,181 times

Advertisements

Can someone speed up time for me? I'm seriously missing NM. Sounds stupid, I know, as we were only there for a week proper and i've not been back two weeks yet. But.....

On the interstate home, the more trees I saw flanking the road, the more claustophobic I felt.

Going through NM it was "Oh WOW! Lookit that!"
Going through AR on the way home it was "Oh look. Another tree. *yawn* Oh look. More water."

Nearly every dang thing I cook now is either doused in green chile (not easy to find here and NOT the same) or served with sopapillas. My July 4th menu wasn't the usual hotdogs/burgers but sopapillas topped with beef, onions, garlic and peppers covered in green chile and cheese, mexican rice, refried beans and papitas with chocolate wedding cookies and coconut cake for dessert. I served Greg papitas and chorizo with scrambled eggs and cheese for breakfast this morning.

I noticed the minute I got within a 100 miles of home that I started complaining TO the other drivers... "Did that car not come equipped with turn signals?.... Sure lady, drift on over my way- i'm just trying to DRIVE here!"

Let's not even get into the depression over my rapid return to earth health-wise. Oh yeah, it's rained almost everyday since we've been home. Greg says it reminds him of Florida... clouds up for a shower every afternoon.

*Sigh* Anyone ever been homesick for somewhere they've never lived? (I s'pose subscribing to the MVT didn't help. Reading the paper makes me wanna be there more.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:52 AM

146 posts, read 441,156 times
RRR, I echo what you've said. I can't wait to get down there! Don't want to rub it in, but we should be down there in September... that reminds me, I need to get some pictures posted that Keith took on his trip... most definiately, he does NOT take enough pictures to suit me... I mean, he had 3 memory cards, and didn't even finish one! LOL!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:59 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,931,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
*Sigh* Anyone ever been homesick for somewhere they've never lived? (I s'pose subscribing to the MVT didn't help. Reading the paper makes me wanna be there more.)
Kind of. I'm constantly heartsick for a small northern town. I lived there for a total of 3 years (split between two different times) out of the last 11. So I have lived there, but not really all that long. It gets better as the years go by. Not exactly what you want to hear, I'm sure. I have different parts of the year that are worse.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 AM

429 posts, read 1,480,266 times
Yes RRR - I hear you too!! As our time gets closer (we are still on target to close July 22) we are all the more anxious to get on the road!!! We plan on heading down the first week of August - take a leisurely time getting there, go to TX to visit hubby's family - then be setting up shop in ABQ about mid-September or so.

Although, I will admit, I'm getting a bit sad to go as well. The weather here has finally improved and it will be sad to go. Our neighbors are throwing us a good-bye party... How can one be all giddy with excitment but sad too?!?!? I think if it was back to the grey, gloomy skies we wouldn't be as sad to leave.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:22 AM

823 posts, read 3,693,940 times
Until today it's been hot and very humid since we got back from ABQ three weeks go and we long to be back there but that said I will miss the treens and grass after we make the move.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:25 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,202,273 times
I feel kind of bad. I'm stuck where I live now until the housing market improves, and not doing much except fixing broken things and wishing I wasn't in Los Angeles. I've lived here my whole life, last 30 years in the same house, and I'm sick sick sick sick sick of it. Even if where I go ends up not being better at least it will be different. I might move to Santa Fe.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:33 AM

429 posts, read 1,480,266 times
We were very blessed with a extremely quick sale... an amazing quick sale (11 days on the market). Of course we were prepared for 2-4 mos on the market so we've been scrambling to get packed up and prepared to move.

I hope you can get out soon. I know its tough being stuck where you don't want to be. Good luck LoveHound!!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:51 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,689,556 times
For me it get really happy when i drive from Albuquerque down to Alamo (220 miles) and when i cross the Oscura mountains on U.S. 380 about 90 miles from Alamo and can start to pick up the El Paso and Alamo radio stations at that point as i'm a happy camper .

I miss the Yuccas, Mesquite, Creosote and Ocotillo's and hearing the Coyotes howl in the early mornings in the Chihuahuan desert in the Tularosa Basin and saddling up and riding Quarter Horses and Dirt Biking (Honda CR 250) on the dirt Canyon trails and knowing that there are Rattlers, Scorpions, Vinegaroons and Gila Monsters out in the desert .

Soon....very soon .

Old 07-11-2008, 10:30 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,630,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Boy, can I relate, (to your whole post, actually)! Although I have been to New Mexico a few times, I've never lived there, but I would just about give my eyeteeth to do so. We almost made it, a couple of years ago, but a potential job offer fell through, so, here we sit, still in Florida. I don't have any newspaper subscriptions, although I do visit different ones, online, but I do have a subscription to New Mexico Magazine, and it is tortuous, sometimes, to read it, wanting to be there. But, I'd give up any other subscriptions I have, before I would give that one up! So, yes, one can definitely be homesick for a place they've never lived!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:33 AM

146 posts, read 441,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I don't have any newspaper subscriptions, although I do visit different ones, online
Do you visit this one? Home - Alamogordo Daily News It has links to several other newspapers around New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico