Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 12:05 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_the_gloaming View Post
There is a big mountain south of Springer on I-25, between Springer and Las Vegas N.M.
You are probably referring to Wagon Mound, a very familiar landmark in that area, and another nice little town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 12:57 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I'll never forget a trip I tried to make from Springer to Raton one day on my motorcycle. I was about five miles out of Springer and it started raining. I thought to myself #This rain hurts!#, looked at my right hand and say marble-sized hail bouncing off my knuckles. I had to go another couple of miles before I could find a place to turn around. There was no way I was going to put up with another 20 or more miles of that to get to Raton.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:02 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,607,287 times
Is the Boys school (Juvenile lockup) still there? When I worked at Mesilla Valley Hospital (over ten years ago) we would get offenders either going to or coming back from Springer...

Old 07-22-2008, 08:47 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
I think it is but I dont think they have kids in there anymore.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:39 PM

437 posts, read 2,239,180 times
I heard it was a prison for alcoholics now. They are hiring.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,946 times
Springer...I-25 interstate dried up Springer's economy years ago. Buildings are dilapidated but the people are survivors. Not much economy to speak of. State Corrections facility outside of village limits employs the locals and large truck stop and a handful of family owned resturarnts and grocery store. Springer is a quaint little town located at the foothills of Rocky Mountains. Outdoor adventure! Good hunting and fishing! Bitter cold during the winter months. Beautiful country! Many out of towners looking for calm and tranquility are attracted to Southern New Mexico, Buying land and moving away from the crowded rat race in NY, CA and other big cities.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,946 times
Used to a be Juvey Correctional facility, now a mininum security prison used to process out convicts after serving sentence.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:12 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
27 inches of snow per year, avg. That isn't a lot.

SPRINGER, NEW MEXICO - Climate Summary

Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,807 times
I drove throuogh Springer on my way to Red River a few weeks ago. It looks like a nice town but I doubt it has much industry. We're retiring so it wouldn't be a problem for us. How is the housing market in that area? Is it much cheaper than Angel Fire?

Old 10-27-2008, 11:38 AM

56 posts, read 148,670 times
OP:
Springer's a nice little and I do mean "little" town. The housing there is A LOT less expensive then in angel fire. If your son's into construction he could possibly get hired on in Raton working in the natural gas field in vermejo, there's still a LOT of road maitnence going on in the field... the winter seams to pick up with keeping the roads cleared (it tends to snow more in the mountains). The winters are pretty mild, except for the occasional blizzard... When it comes in and snows, it can get deep. You might also contact the county Road Department and see if they have any job openings, both Angel Fire and Springer are within Colfax County The pay's not the greatest, but people seam to get by on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico