Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:30 PM

68 posts, read 257,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by affi View Post
Is New Mexico diverse?

How is Crime?

How is housing sales?

Hi Affi,
DH & I live in LC.

Diversity: New Mexico has become diverse in the recent years. Being a native New Mexican, I have seen so many changes...actually too many. It use to be so common to know most everyone that we ran into. Now there's people bustling everywhere...people we know nothing about...who their families are, where they went to school, who they married. But, life in New Mexico is still a very close-knit life with very deep hispanic roots, but very welcoming to new faces and more diversity.

Crime: Even if this state had only one crime per year it would be one crime too many...just ask the one person that it happened to. I don't know if I would believe those stats that are being thrown out there about my home state. But, I'm careful and wise about where I go & who I am around...as I would be in any other state. So, a word to the wise, if you're new to the area...any area...then first investigate it's safety and then proceed...or not.

Housing sales: Looking at what has been sitting on the market for almost a year...which looks like a lot of properties, my guess is that it has slowed down considerably.

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 05:01 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,959,019 times
I live in one of the more affluent suburbs of Boston and just last week we had somebody steal all four wheels and tires off a POS Pontiac in the Park and Ride lot. At least the thieves left the car on cinder blocks so the owner could replace the wheels and drive it off. I wondered if the guy camping in his pick up truck in the same lot noticed anything.
I am planning a retirement relocation to NM and crime is the least of my considerations.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,959,019 times
"If it bleeds it leads" is the motto of most TV news. Since news shows became just another profit center the ratings rule. The more bizarre, gross or frightening the crime the more likely it is to lead the show. Frightened people stop thinking and start worrying. This makes them more susceptible to advertising and increases profits for everyone involved but the audience.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:05 PM

432 posts, read 1,668,613 times
Thnaks for the info.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:18 PM

261 posts, read 938,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute;4641373

Kind of surprising about the crime -- it does seem high when compared to states like Philadelphia and Ohio and New Jersey where you usually think of high crime rates.

Philadelphia isn't a state.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,892,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post
Philadelphia isn't a state.
Yes -- actually I know that, I meant to write states and cities. Even if Albuquerque has a lot of crime it can't be worse than Philadelphia or Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico