Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:08 PM

380 posts, read 1,059,541 times

Advertisements

The secret to finding an arrowhead, is know where they were used, and the correct term is projectile point or just point. I have a large collection of them, i have found them in a variety of locales, if you have an idea where winter hunting camps were, especially along water ways you will have a better chance of locating them-however, they are more valuable to archeologists to have for research into particular cultures and history of a particular location. I do not look for them on public lands. Don't need too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 11:10 PM

380 posts, read 1,059,541 times
Mr. West, that is an amazing collection, I thought i had a lot, but I don't compared to yours.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:35 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,011,227 times
Arrow RE: arrowheads and pottery etc...

We have found some arrowheads and quite a bit of pottery on our property.
The pottery is Anasazi and later. I have a degree in Anthro/archaeology and consulted my books and it was a easy ID.

After rains are good, est. after the mud dries out.

Looking forward to this spring...

And also; re snakes...the shaky tail...they DO NOT ALWAYS run off when distrubed etc. I know...

HW...

Old 01-28-2009, 04:52 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,327,109 times
Default A short story of arrest

there's this fellow I know, I'll call him jim.
jim was out hunting rocks and arrowheads. he and his buddy pulled up along some railroad tracks, got out of the car and started kicking the sand and rocks around a bit, wow, they found many nice quartz specimen and arrowheads too!
before they knew what was going on, a swarm of police officers pulled up (state & county police & Burlington-Northern Rail Detective), and placed jim & friend under arrest.
both were ticketed, and must appear in court.
charges are removing indian artifacts, tresspassing on indian nation property, tresspassing on railroad property, and collecting valuable quartz from indian nation property.
I'm waiting to hear of the results of their arrests.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:04 PM

Default Couple Finds Artifacts

Click on the link to see what these campers found.
A Unique Apache National Forest "Find"

Old 01-30-2009, 08:10 AM

622 posts, read 1,725,034 times
What a great story! And it's so cool that is was a mortar & pestle- an ancient device that I use all the time, and so do people all over the world. It's little things like that that help me to see how all people are connected stretching backwards and forwards through time, that in many ways we're more similar than we are different. Can't help but wonder..who held it in their hands? What food did they cook with it? How many generations of people used it? Why did it end up where it was found?
Sorry! I geek out on old stuff and start waxing poetical...don't get me in a museum of antiquities!

Old 02-01-2009, 05:42 AM

Native peoples of the southwest:
The Mogollon: Prehistoric People of the Desert Southwest - DesertUSA
http://www.desertusa.com/gila/gila_cliff.html
http://gilacliffdwellings.areaparks.com/
http://www.kstrom.net/isk/maps/nm/nmmap.html
http://cybergata.com/native.htm
tread lightly
http://www.nativewayonline.com/safety~1.htm
stiff penalties imposed:
http://www.arrowheads.com/burials.htm#NEW%20MEXICO (broken link)

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 02-01-2009 at 06:15 AM..

Old 03-25-2009, 11:46 PM

21 posts, read 66,797 times
As a native New Mexican I will tell all you people that are asking the question "How To Find An Arrowhead?" It's easy as pie. Go to any museum in the state and you will find all the points and artifacts your little heart desires. i live and work on my families ranch and within a 1 mile radius of my place there are 3 ruins on private land and if anyone is 'busted' strolling around we don't hesitate to run you off with a very clear message about trespassing. There are millions of acres of Public lands that we all pay taxes on and that's where people that feel the need to get out of the city need to go. I pay property taxes on my private land . Private vs public. Look it up in a dictionary and learn it . People that don't have to fix the darn fences when some town dwellers come out and figure it ain't no thing to pop a few staples out of a post or what harm in leaving a gate or 3 open ...etc. I dread the weekends of July 4th and memorial day and Hunting season is pure H*LL out here in the mountains. if the city and town dwellers want a couple of sections to stroll around on they ought to buy a couple of sections .

Old 03-26-2009, 05:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
kid 60 - so what do a couple of sections cost around where you live? Where do you live (general discrioption)? Can they be rented for enough to pay the taxes, insurance and mortgage?

FWIW - What are the hunting rules in New Mexico? Back here in New Hampshire the game is owned by everyone and may be hunted nearly everywhere. Private land has to posted to exclude hunters. The hunters (deer, moose and bear mostly) take care to close gates, avoid electric fences, stay away from domestic live stock and not shoot near dwellings.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:29 PM

21 posts, read 66,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
kid 60 - so what do a couple of sections cost around where you live? Where do you live (general discrioption)? Can they be rented for enough to pay the taxes, insurance and mortgage?

FWIW - What are the hunting rules in New Mexico? Back here in New Hampshire the game is owned by everyone and may be hunted nearly everywhere. Private land has to posted to exclude hunters. The hunters (deer, moose and bear mostly) take care to close gates, avoid electric fences, stay away from domestic live stock and not shoot near dwellings.
If it is allowed on here i will direct message you with the contact info to a neighbor that has some of his ranch land for sale. i don't know any of the details but can give his phone number to you.
The location here is about 75 miles south of Albuquerque along US hwy 60. It depends on what you are interested in hunting . Deer hunting is on public lands and when you buy your license you 'draw ' the area . Hunting on private land is only with permission of land owner. Antelopes permits are given out to private land owners , it depends on the amount of land each owner has as to how many permits each get, and then the land owner decides who gets the permits. I'm not real sure how it all works because my uncle is the one that takes care of that . and then there's bear season and wild turkey season , elk etc.. but i know nothing about those cuz we aren't high enough up in the mountains to have to deal with those hunters .
Let me know about the direct message thing and we'll take it from there , okay ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico