Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 08:29 PM

68 posts, read 257,767 times

Advertisements

It's a shame that another thread regarding wildlife was closed, especially with all the wildlife that we have here. I think that we can really learn a lot about wildlife safety if it's properly presented. Gentlemen (Steve O and Dracul), if you truly care about wildlife, as you say you do, then you should try to use your specialized education/training for the betterment of wildlife, instead of attacking human life. Surely if you're educated then you must know that proper communication is the resolve to any profitable conversation. I respect that you have a special fondness for wildlife, but also please respect that some will not share with you your fondness. I agree that no one should be abusive towards any created being, and that especially includes, first and foremost, our fellowman/woman. I'm not trying to actually continue a thread on this again, and I'm certainly not interested in any futile argumentation..I just felt a need to say this and nothing more.
Rebecca

Old 08-07-2008, 01:01 PM

717 posts, read 1,958,089 times
That part about "first and foremost" as usual placing humanity at the pinnacle of creation is absurd and predictable. Ho hum. We are no more or less than the tiniest microbe, you and I. We are co-equal voyagers. I've been down this heavily trodden road before...tiresome business .

With regard to doing my part for this grand planet, I fail everyday in many ways to be a good steward and a responsible global citizen. For that I am remiss and I'll endeavor to improve...at least I acknowledge my shortcomings and attempt to rectify them when I'm up for it. I try to support worthwhile environmental charities/initiatives and have done so long before it was fashionable (since the 70's my friend). I also worked as part of a team of contract archaeologists doing survey and site reconstruction work as part of the EIS evaluations on proposed land developments in Hawai'i for several years before I entered law enforcement out of financial need (the field work was by far my favorite vocation although it did not pay well enough to sustain my family). These days, everywhere I go I plant my properties with lush vegetation to the carrying capacity of that particular region; I love dense and healthy trees and plants that surround me. Always have. I revere this incredible world Terrasol and find the heavy hand of man busily destroying everything he/she can at a pace that will inevitably denude earth of most major animal species (and many old growth forests) by the end of this century at their current rates of extinction. Many climate scientists, in fact, have suggested that we now consider ourselves in a new age, the anthropocene, as our collective activities are impacting this fragile planet in such perilous and unsupportable ways. Man himself/herself holds the key to this castle now. We can act to redress these errors and try to restore some balance and order to this nihilistic, covetous man-made chaos or we can subsume this world into an industrial nightmare that eventually will not even support our own insatiable lives.

I'm no fan of humanity...I never have been and never will be...collectively we are the most destructive and arrogant and irresponsible creatures to ever exist here. By our actions we are pushing this wondrous world to the brink of collapse, mostly out of greed, ignorance and petty self-interest, despite the denials of those precious few "researchers" in the pockets of Big Oil and Industry. For every sublime Steven Hawkins or Carl Sagan there are legions of the misinformed and the numberless, clueless sense-deadened consumers blithely devouring our world. This saddens me immensely and infuriates me as well. We can do a better job, we just prefer our garage-mahal's, Hummers and profligate lifestyles. Now China and India (along with many other emerging economies) covet the same lifestyle that has made us so detested around the world for generations. The land cannot sustain this pace of transformation Terrasol. This fragile blue planet deserves better from its human sons and daughters, don't you think?

I could bore you...and others... with volumes of specific facts and figures, as I've done on many forums before this one over the years but I tire of this probably hopeless discourse. At this point I merely want to avert my eyes from this human induced apocalypse that is rapidly metastasizing around me. Human folly is darkening the world...and depleting my spirit...so I seek to withdraw from this frenetic madness to a simpler lifestyle in a NM backwater: TorC. Mankind wearies me Terrasol and I'm very ashamed of most of what we are doing to our world, with few exceptions. Perhaps I'm just too jaded and war-scared from a lifetime spent on the edge of a blade in many respects. I'm worn out, although I'm not defeated...a few more years will deliver that stroke no doubt.

There ARE visionaries out there and altruistic stewards who have my unshakable support but the vast majority of teeming, grasping, narrow minded humanity has only my contempt I'm afraid. I do revere artists, scientists, philosophers, cosmologists, and any others who can fearlessly look at reality for what it is and bring no predilections or biases into their observations. Pragmatic, objective, serendipitous...let knowledge lead to where ever it will...and hopefully to the light of understanding. Wisdom: in such paltry supply these days in most quarters. Alas.

In our headlong assault on this world we must be mindful of the old shibboleth: "those who seek to sew the wind may reap the whirlwind." I'm done.

Last edited by dracul; 08-07-2008 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: had to knock this off and get on the road south!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 02:36 PM

775 posts, read 2,592,133 times
Default Drac

You forgot to mention about Global Warming and with all the Trash Mail we get i guess we have plenty of Forests. What about Christmas Trees why do we have to cut them down i can see getting a live one and planting it on the Ground after Christmas but its terrible to cut a Christmas tree and then throw it away. What about the Starving Bears and Mountain Lions should the Government feed them to keep them from starving or eating Humans? pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 08-07-2008, 03:39 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,618,090 times
I think that all good, right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that all good, right thinking people in this country are fed up with being told that all good, right thinking people in this country are fed up with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not, and I'm sick and tired of being told that I am.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:13 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,532,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraSol View Post
It's a shame that another thread regarding wildlife was closed, especially with all the wildlife that we have here. I think that we can really learn a lot about wildlife safety if it's properly presented. Gentlemen (Steve O and Dracul), if you truly care about wildlife, as you say you do, then you should try to use your specialized education/training for the betterment of wildlife, instead of attacking human life. Surely if you're educated then you must know that proper communication is the resolve to any profitable conversation. I respect that you have a special fondness for wildlife, but also please respect that some will not share with you your fondness. I agree that no one should be abusive towards any created being, and that especially includes, first and foremost, our fellowman/woman. I'm not trying to actually continue a thread on this again, and I'm certainly not interested in any futile argumentation..I just felt a need to say this and nothing more.
Rebecca
First off, I didnt attack human life. It wasnt until *ahem* someone (I wont mention her name) showed up and buddied up with a mod that it got shut down. Hell, this thread will probably get shut down just because I mentioned that. Watch.

Anyways, Im a huge nature lover, and respect ALL forms of life, human and animal. I came on that thread to help give info and tips, and I got attacked by some forum members who werent unlike Africanized bees. I swatted one away and BAM! here came 1,207 others. I shouldve kept some of the lovely DMs that some of y'all sent me.

Oh, Dracul? Incredible post. I agree 100%.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:57 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,737,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
First off, I didnt attack human life. It wasnt until *ahem* someone (I wont mention her name) showed up and buddied up with a mod that it got shut down. Hell, this thread will probably get shut down just because I mentioned that. Watch.
Bingo! Steve-O called it!!

Seriously, I am stepping in as completely impartial - I didn't participate in the thread mentioned nor did I have anything to add. But folks, you just [b]can't can't can't[b/] open threads on the boards just talking largely about personal views of various forum members. It just gets everything all riled up into a hornets nest and leads to nothing positive.

The forum here is to talk (and yes, respectfully debate) *topics* themselves...not topics solely as they relate specifically to the views of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico