Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 03:44 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,232 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I was just thining that New Mexico is probably the most exotic state in the country. I think in terms of culture shock from outsiders, we are probably #1. This is in account to demographics, history, architecture, climate, etc. I have heard friends who visit NM for the first time that it takes alot of getting used to. Even the "do-whatever" feel of the people seems to be a rare commodity.

So just for conversation sakes, this would be my list of the top 5 most exotic/foreign states in the US.

5. Mississippi
4. Louisiana
3. Hawaii
2. Nevada
1. New Mexico

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 03:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Hi everyone. I was just thining that New Mexico is probably the most exotic state in the country. I think in terms of culture shock from outsiders, we are probably #1. This is in account to demographics, history, architecture, climate, etc. I have heard friends who visit NM for the first time that it takes alot of getting used to. Even the "do-whatever" feel of the people seems to be a rare commodity.

So just for conversation sakes, this would be my list of the top 5 most exotic/foreign states in the US.

5. Mississippi
4. Louisiana
3. Hawaii
2. Nevada
1. New Mexico

Any thoughts?
Well, I've been in and out of New Mexico all of my life, since I am a native West Texan, and I feel at home here. So NM wouldn't be on the list for me, but I'm sure it would be for East Coasters and probably some Midwesterners, maybe?

I lived in MS, and I did have culture shock--BAD. Although I wouldn't ever go back to MS, LA or HI, I've never been to Nevada. What is it about Nevada that you would consider it a culture shock to some? Now you've got my curiousity up.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Culture shock is a matter of opinion: we did leave NM for many reasons, part being the mind-set of the people, part to get closer to our family in OK, Ar and Texas, but I don't know if I would put it quite in the catagory of the OP> It certainly is different, that I agree with.

I know, many probably think the same about Arkansas, but you would be surprised if you visited certain areas of the state. At least the majority of the people who live here haven't lived here for 250 years or more,especially in the NW corner. Just my thoughts, BTW: I think NM has a lot to offer, but it just wasn't for us.

Nita

Old 09-27-2008, 04:18 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,232 times
Quote:
I've never been to Nevada. What is it about Nevada that you would consider it a culture shock to some? Now you've got my curiousity up.
I think it would be due to the general focus of the state economy: gambling. I think due to the nightlife as well is just seems different to me.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:56 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,217,092 times
I'll second you on that. We're pretty different.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:27 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,405,367 times
Wasnt a culture shock for me. Moving from Ireland to the most laid back place I have ever been was easy for me

Old 09-27-2008, 07:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Wasnt a culture shock for me. Moving from Ireland to the most laid back place I have ever been was easy for me
laid back, I guess it depends on where you live in the state and what you call laid back?

Nita

Old 09-27-2008, 10:39 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,217,092 times
There is a reason we call it the land of manana!

Old 09-27-2008, 11:55 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
NM was the first minority majority state along with Hawaii and I think California and Texas then became one too. It is different here, I think New Mexico and Mississippi are long lost step brothers.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post

5. Mississippi
4. Louisiana
3. Hawaii
2. Nevada
1. New Mexico

Any thoughts?
Too many Midwesterners in New Mexico to make it seem exotic -- maybe it depends on the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico