Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:59 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
Thanks 6'3 good info. Does any one know if it reaches Timberon?

Pipeweld
Maybe Cheryl can check this out for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 09:46 AM

717 posts, read 1,954,762 times
Thumbs up So Where Can I Find Chick Correa???????

Yeah but what about us JAZZ lovers??? What's to listen to if yer jonzin' for Coltrane, Getz and Bird???//

Old 08-27-2008, 12:46 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
I think it's 101 that reaches Timberon but we have satellite radio so I'm not really sure.
Check out 107 too. The Coyote. It has classic rock music from the 70-80's.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:51 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
I'd say whether you can get it or not depends to a great extent on your receiver and antenna.

dracul: Just be glad you aren't trying to make a living playing jazz.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:54 PM

My opinion is to get satellite radio. That way, you can listen to anything you want without a bunch of lousy commercials and static.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:37 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Yeah but what about us JAZZ lovers??? What's to listen to if yer jonzin' for Coltrane, Getz and Bird???//
KRWG, only one place in S. New Mexico, Dracul...KRWG 90.7 from NMSU. They do NPR info and classical music a lot, but from 7 to 9 there is a great Hispanic music program, Fiesta, and from 9 to Midnight there is Burnsland...a very fine jazz program on weekdays. After jazz the classical comes back on. It's my radio station of choice, and has repeaters to make it available over in Alamo, up toward Silver City and also up the valley.
It's a great radio station.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:02 PM

Catman needs to get on the radio station and play his music.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:06 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Satellite radio......I'm so spoiled by XM that I don't even bother with local stations any longer.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:08 PM

Okay, I checked this out yesterday on the way to Alamogordo.
From Timberon to about halfway down hwy 82, tune into 107 Coyote, 70's and 80's type classic rock. After halfway down toward Alamogordo, tune into 101, 60's classic rock.
101 will not pick up in Timberon.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:49 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,143 times
Something about 2 can Aqua Net supported mullet hairdos, tiger print spandex, hi-top tennis shoes listening to cookie cutter heavily rotated short pop playlists still appealing to some is amazing.

Never cared for it, and never felt like I missed out.

King Crimson, Can, Atomic Rooster, Camel, Kevin Ayers, The Residents, Snakefinger, Black Flag, Bill Frisell, Medeski Martin & Wood, Aphrodite's Child, Hasil Adkins, Jeff Beck, Johnny Winter, Gong, Frank Zappa, Ken Nordine, Sun Ra, Bill Bruford, Robert Crumbs Cheap Suit Serenaders, XTC, Peter Gabriel, UK, Adrian Belew, Chico Hamilton, Captain Beefheart, Junior Brown, Big Sandy, Tuxedomoon, The White Noise, The Black Keys, Stanton Moore, Esquivel.
King Tubby, Brian Auger, Brand X, Bela Fleck, Fats Navarro, Jimmy Smith Johnny Smith, Dan Hicks, J.J. Cale, Ry Cooder.

I'll give one thing to growing up in NE Ohio is that more diverse acts passed through there, and a lot more alternate listening was to be had on more college stations that gave me the list above which only partially fills out my record collection. A huge misappropriation in the music industry is the term "alternative". If you can find it in Walmart, it is not an alternative.

There wasn't much to pick from in New Mexico except for ABQ or Santa FE area and this one AM station in Clovis that played some old bizarre honky-tonk that seemed like the station was lost in time. Great Stuff. Oh yeah, not to mention Coast to Coast AM with George Noory...Art Bell!

What is fun is the hobby of DXing. Building simple loop antennas to pick up distant AM-FM stations. It's the only use that I have found for my receiver.

Here is a link...

AM/FM DXing

With a little effort you can pull in some distant stations. I made a simple loop antenna from speaker wire, and pulled in an Indian/Country music station from Window Rock AZ, 400 miles away using a cheap battery operated AM/FM walkman!

With New Mexicos' wide open spaces, there's less interference, and it's amazing what you can pick up, especially around sunset.

Last edited by newmex; 08-30-2008 at 05:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico