Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 04:18 AM

185 posts, read 488,567 times

Advertisements

I'm trapped here over in China a lot and miss home! So with help from my trusty Logitech Squeezebox Boom, I try to stay somewhat in touch. As I write this, am listening to KRKE 1600 out of Albuquerque (showing my age here now I know) and also listen to a lot of KTAO, KRWG, KTBL, and KDSK. And KTDB 89.7 is always interesting. But here's my question-is anyone aware of a good station available on line that does a good job with news and current events in NM? Of course there is KKOB which is good for about 10 minutes but that's about all (if I hear that commercial from that guy demanding "where's my money??" for that stupid lump sum payout scheme I'll puke. Is anyone that stupid to fall for that?!)

Anyway, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 06:32 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Here is a list of all New Mexico AM and FM stations which shows category, some which are news: New Mexico Radio Stations, New Mexico Broadcasting Stations, New Mexico Web Radio - SHG Resources

Rich

Old 02-01-2010, 11:19 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Just wondering how well that "silent" format is working out for KKEL in Hobbs.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:02 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Thanks for the link on that Rich!
CAVA 1990 got my attention on the Hobbs station. Silent format?? Huh?

Hogfarmer, I love am 1600. With Clear Channel marauding their way across the country forcing radio stations to revise their oldies format to the same set song playlist, it's nice to have that station out there that DOES play oldies. For a long time, "Big Oldies 98.5" KABG would give morning dj Bobby Box a little bit of room regarding playing a little doo wop, old r and b, etc. With that station part of the corporate, now he only gets to play it on Saturday morning. I know Bobby personally, he frequently turns up at the SW Collector music memorabilia swap meets at the Elegante Hotel near the "Big I". One time he done a live remote there. Real good guy!!

As an out of stater who only gets to come in to NM every three months or so, obviously I'm no help regarding local issues on the radio. When visiting friends in Albuquerque, Tucumcari, and other areas I would tune in to KKOB from 9 to 10 in the morning, and pick up some interesting local stuff. And in the late afternoon I pull in that station with Jim Villanucci in the afternoon. He replaced a real good guy who hosted that 3-6 time slot, Chris Jackson. I remember Jackson, former KKOB Larry Ahrens, and Diane Anderson teaming up on an fm station (I'm thinking they broadcasted in Las Lunas), and they definitely had air time regarding state issues, but it folded a few years ago.

Hopefully one of the locals can weigh in here. By the way, KKOB has a monster signal, at night I can pick it up on the bedroom radio with no problem.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-01-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 02-01-2010, 01:02 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Do you have any stations that play folk and/or acoustic guitar music?

Old 02-01-2010, 05:17 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
Since this thread's question is about INTERNET RADIO stations, the best bet is to use GOOGLE to search. Here is but one site that lists quite a few New Mexico stations with a web presence:

NEW MEXICO STATIONS ON THE INTERNET

Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 PM

Default Great responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Since this thread's question is about INTERNET RADIO stations, the best bet is to use GOOGLE to search. Here is but one site that lists quite a few New Mexico stations with a web presence:

NEW MEXICO STATIONS ON THE INTERNET

Thanks Jax, Rich, everyone else, some great info. And HH, thanks a lot for your input. Wow, there sure are a lot of stations available. Would really like to find one that has Jim Bohannon's (sp?) America in the Morning, and also Coast to Coast AM. Jax, really like 1360 and other Ruidoso stations, but none of them on the internet (except the Christian station) and can't even pick them up in Carrizozo worth a darn. In fact, have a hard time getting KKOB there as well. That's why at home we also use the internet radio, because about all we can get day time is the KIDD. Of course night time is another matter. Anyway, sure appreciate the input.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:29 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarmer View Post
Jax, really like 1360 and other Ruidoso stations, but none of them on the internet (except the Christian station) and can't even pick them up in Carrizozo worth a darn.
Next time you're back at your hog farm in 'zozo, you might want to try KENW 89.3FM. ENMU-Portales' NPR repeater for the Lincoln County area lost its license last fall and was therefore off the air until recently when they evidently put in a new repeater station - or at least changed the frequency to the one I cited. I'm getting better reception now than I used to before they lost their license. NPR is a 24-hour operation with a mix of local and world news programs plus some good weekend music programming. Otherwise the daytime music is "elevator music" (oldies, and not so golden oldies either!). The other FM station with a local repeater that I know about is out of Albuquerque at 95.9FM - classical music but too much advertising for me.

PS I think both of the repeaters are located on the "Buck Mountain" peak adjacent to Ski Apache, and that is (I think) hidden from direct line of sight from Carrizozo - maybe making for poor reception - not sure.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:41 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Well for those of us who like classic Rock music it's ''94 Rock'' out of Albuquerque hands down or at least once you get past the morning show with TJ Trout.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Next time you're back at your hog farm in 'zozo, you might want to try KENW 89.3FM.
Hey, thanks Jax. As far as the hog stuff, that was a former life of mine when I lived in NW Iowa. Gave up the stupid hogs years ago, thank goodness. Now just have horses (which is bad enough!) Actually, the "handle" is a throwback to the old CB radio, used that for my handle and I guess I'm just too lazy to think of something different.

Yes, do listen to KENW, but when back in January, couldn't pick them up, and was wondering what was going on. Glad to hear they are back on the air, and thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico