Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,611,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I worked for a very well known scientist who once told me not to look at properties in the SW if I want my children to inherit my land and still be able to live on it. He said with the climate change and the depleting water supplies, look at areas around Michigan and the great lakes. They will get warmer with time (shorter winters) and they are green and have much more water.
If by "live on it" you mean grow crops, then I can see that being a problem. But most people aren't going to leave here because farming and water intensive industries cease to be viable. You'll still be able to get all the water you want for residential use at a reasonable price... unless the *politics* decides otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 10:57 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,639,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
If by "live on it" you mean grow crops, then I can see that being a problem. But most people aren't going to leave here because farming and water intensive industries cease to be viable. You'll still be able to get all the water you want for residential use at a reasonable price... unless the *politics* decides otherwise.
Correct. Should have been more specific - if you intend to live (more or less) off the land, you would be better off seeking out a different locale.

OD

Old 04-15-2013, 12:12 PM

I think even living off the land will always be viable... if you are just growing food for yourself.

What won't be viable is water-intensive farming and industry.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:31 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,311,795 times
Quote:
I think even living off the land will always be viable... if you are just growing food for yourself.

What won't be viable is water-intensive farming and industry.
Does "Living off the land" = no electricity etc? Just you spending all your time growing/harvesting/storing your food supply??

Old 04-15-2013, 03:52 PM

802 posts, read 986,117 times
Default "flash drought" last year?

Report says Great Plains drought not human-caused

By John Fleck / Journal Staff Writer on Mon, Apr 15, 2013 "

"Last summer’s central Great Plains drought was caused primarily by natural climate variability, not human-caused climate change, a team of federal scientists concluded in a report released Thursday.

The study did not look at the deeper, multiyear drought that has gripped most of New Mexico, with a lack of winter precipitation and hot spring weather has left the state’s reservoirs and rivers parched for three consecutive years. But it does help explain the extreme summer of 2012 in northeast New Mexico."

» Report says Great Plains drought not human-caused | ABQ Journal

Old 04-15-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Does "Living off the land" = no electricity etc? Just you spending all your time growing/harvesting/storing your food supply??
You can have anything you like that doesn't require large amounts of water... so sure, you can have electricity.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:12 PM

802 posts, read 986,117 times
Default Earthships

Quote:
You can have anything you like that doesn't require large amounts of water... so sure, you can have electricity.
There is a hopeful, long-term project going on outside of Taos, where rainwater-harvesting, solar/wind energy, small livestock/crops, and creativity may spread through New Mexico.

Sustainable Green Buildings - Earthship Biotecture

Old 04-18-2013, 04:45 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,699,693 times
It's lovely here. And I find myself wishing I could stay. However, a big problem is that we're in a severe drought. Seven years ago the head of our water authority said he was losing sleep over our lack of water. It's now seven years later, and things are worse. Throughout the whole state. Water conservation activists say that if the drought continues, the water shortage will severely impact our ability to live here, and that will happen within the next 3-5 years. I don't know how true that is, but it has made me think. I love the SW too, but I'm moving out of NM. And if you look at the state statistics (I'll try to find the link), more people are moving out of NM every year than moving in. And it's so sad. This has to be one of the top 5 more beautiful states in The US.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:19 PM

492 posts, read 1,043,224 times
Well if enough people leave there won't be a water shortage, so maybe that's a reason to stay. How do you think the water shortage will impact your ability to live there?

Old 04-19-2013, 11:58 AM

492 posts, read 1,043,224 times
I did a little research into the drought in NM. It seems that 80% of water usage is agriculture. I read that much less water could be used in exchange for only a small drop in farming revenue, by changing crop type. I see a lot of lawns in ABQ. I see golf courses. So I'm thinking the water shortage is really a pricing issue, hence a political issue. People are using water to the extent there's a shortage, because water is cheap enough. At a higher price there wouldn't be a shortage. Not that there should be a higher price; rather people should get used to the idea that the drought isn't real to the extent that basic needs are threatened.

I think in the long run the water limits in ABQ could be good for living there. If there was a lot more water then you'd expect ABQ to grow to millions more people, especially since the weather is mild. You want limits on resources to keep a lid on population growth. We have ample water in Western WA, and we have 3 million people, someday to double and then triple. There's too many people here as it is.

Last edited by Jalhop; 04-19-2013 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico