Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 03:14 PM

7,399 posts, read 19,386,525 times

Advertisements

Anyone on here involved with this here in NM?
One of the gals on the exercise forum is involved in this in her state and I was curious as if any New Mexicans are involved.
I'm going to google this too but wanted opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 06:55 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,030,416 times
Song, there is a group with Otero County Extension. The home extension unit in Timberon have had them up to give talks. Check with Stella, she would know who to contact. They are really helpful with answers. And if they would not know the answer the would find out. I do know a few of them that live in Alamo. They do have classes each year to become a MG.
Jane

Old 09-25-2008, 09:11 AM

Thanks Jane. I'll see Stella today and ask her about it.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:37 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,301,535 times
Not sure about the master garderner program. I need to check into it though as I need all the help I can get.

How are you alls gardens doing? I am being overrun with tomatos and peppers right now. I wish I had more space.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:41 AM

Chilegal gave us a tomato plant and that's doing great but that's all we have now.
I don't have much of a green thumb so I have a lot to learn. I figured some of these classes at the master gardener might be a good start.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:05 PM

YB, what elevation are you? Song and I are at 7100'. Its harder to grow some of the "Hot" plants such as sweet corn. Next year I plan on doing lasagna gardening with the raised beds. We really can't plant till after the first of June or we have the threat of frost.

Also, have you thought about going up - with pole beans? That does save a lot of room in the garden.
Jane

Old 09-25-2008, 12:23 PM
_yb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
YB, what elevation are you? Song and I are at 7100'. Its harder to grow some of the "Hot" plants such as sweet corn. Next year I plan on doing lasagna gardening with the raised beds. We really can't plant till after the first of June or we have the threat of frost.

Also, have you thought about going up - with pole beans? That does save a lot of room in the garden.
Jane
I actually put a bunch of gravel and zeric plants in over the past couple of years. I'm kind of depressed about that now. I would rather grow more edible stuff. I'm going to start working on a couple of more small raised beds in the garden this fall. I'm also going to use containers to maximize my large patio spaces.

The elevation here is @5100 feet. I'm going to try and plant some garlic in the next few days. It will be a first for me.

I made the wife some calibacitas for dinner last night all of the ingredients were from my garden or traded for with one of my neighbors. It's a good feeling.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:32 PM

YB,
Right now I am in Illinois as my husband still farms, and we knew we would be back here early this year so he planted lots So I am busy with tomatoes here, making salsa now - I think Cathy would approve.. spicy.. But what I was getting at is that he plants my tomatoes right in with the flowers and gourds. The gourd leaves do protect them from sunburn. Yes I may have to go all over the yard to get tomatoes, but its using up space that I would not use otherwise.
Jane

Old 10-17-2008, 07:14 PM
_yb

I have 50+ lbs of green tomatoes still on the vine. What do I do? It's starting to get cold.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
I have 50+ lbs of green tomatoes still on the vine. What do I do? It's starting to get cold.
These are wonderful.. Pipeweld will tell you, he will eat all he can get his hands on!!LOL Its his MIL recipe
Green Tomato Relish

1/2 batch

1-1/4 gallons green tomatos (course chop)
1/2 gallon yellow onions (course chop)
1/4 gallon bell peppers (course chop)
Handful of hot chiles (course chop)

1 qt vinegar
2-1/2 lbs sugar
1/2-3/4 cup salt (start w/1/2 & add salt to taste, if needed - be careful not to get too salty)
1 Tbs course grind black pepper

2 tsp pickling spice tied in small bag

Bring to boil and boil 45 min; stir to ensure spice distribution. Yield 6 qts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico