Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:00 AM

8 posts, read 32,770 times

Advertisements

I need some help please!!!!

My family and I have lived in Kenosha, WI (it's between Chicago and Milwaukee) all of our lives. We want a change...a better quality of life...a work environment that does not cause fear (I'm a teacher in a neighboring town) for my own well-being. We visited NM twice last year, (Farmington) and decided it did not offer all that we wanted.

That being said, we still have our hearts set on moving to New Mexico, even though all of family is here. We are planning another trip the begining of April and will be staying for a week to check out Las Cruces, Albuquerque, and any place else we can fit in.

So I also need some help...I have been researching these areas, but I would really like to hear from people who live there and can give me all the juicy details. I guess from all my readings, I am more confused now than when I started.

Here is a basic run down of our life and what we are looking for...
~I am a Teacher (Language Arts - grades 7-12), and I already have my NM teaching cetificate.
~My husband will be starting his teaching carreer (Science 7-12), switching carreers from the CDL trucking industry.
~We have three children, our oldest will be a Senior for the 07-08 school year. The other two will be in 6th and 7th grade for the 07-08 school year.
~ Our goal is to down size our life so we can have a better quality of life, while our children will still travel and be seen with us
~We have three dogs-one large, two small.
~We are looking for a safe, friendly community, with good schools, views of mountains, and warm weather.
~I personally, would like to teach in a school where the students want to be there, want to learn, and want to discover for themselves. I know these students exist, because I saw them as I toured through most of the schools in the Farmington area.

Thank you in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 01:39 AM

642 posts, read 2,553,089 times
What was Farmington lacking? Are you looking for a college town? Are you looking to stay away from snow? The more specific you get the better it is.
Many of the schools do not get a good rating and they could use more great teachers ... good luck

Old 03-01-2007, 04:20 AM

476 posts, read 2,319,273 times
Yes, I too would like to know what you thought Farmington didnt offer you so I can know what you want that Farmington doesnt have. I am thinking maybe if you want more then Albuquerque may be what you need, or around Albuquerque. I dont know any other city as big as Farmington in northern NM. You might look at Las Cruces in the south of NM. It is pretty big too. It will be hotter down there but winters are a little better. If it is more quality of life like excellent schools, medical, activities and such then I would suggest Durango, Colorado or Bayfield, Colorado, they have excellent schools, excellent medical in Durango and a great quality of life.

There is also Santa Fe too, an option for a place with better quality of life. I do know there are gangs in Santa Fe, that would concern me if I had kids so I would have them in private schools if you can afford it but the city has some nice homes.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:57 PM

642 posts, read 2,553,089 times
I wasnt aware that there was a a gang problem in Santa Fe ... I did know people usually sent their kids to private schools but I thought it was due to the schools testing. I wonder if it is in many neighborhoods and how you know how widespread it is. Safety was a major reason why I considered it.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Sante Fe

I'm sorry, I was not refering to gangs in NM, but about the gang activity where I currently live, WI. We are hoping NM will be a safer place for us to work and our children to grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
I wasnt aware that there was a a gang problem in Santa Fe ... I did know people usually sent their kids to private schools but I thought it was due to the schools testing. I wonder if it is in many neighborhoods and how you know how widespread it is. Safety was a major reason why I considered it.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Yes there is quite a bit of gang activity in Santa Fe, here is just one link about it.
http://www.streetgangs.com/topics/2006/111506sfrep.html

Old 03-01-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsue_m View Post
I'm sorry, I was not refering to gangs in NM, but about the gang activity where I currently live, WI. We are hoping NM will be a safer place for us to work and our children to grow up.
There are gangs in Santa Fe and Albuquerque. You can google Santa Fe gangs or Santa Fe gang activity for more info and here is one link about it.
http://www.streetgangs.com/topics/2006/111506sfrep.html

Old 03-01-2007, 11:53 PM

Default Farmington

For us, the cost of living in Farmington was too high, housing in the neighborhood schools we wanted, insurance, groceries, etc. We do want to be near a college, because my husband is going to get his teaching certificate. So, raising three girls on two teachers saleries, is going to be quite a challenge. We just want a simpler, less expensive life so we can travel and see all of the beautiful sights the southwest has to offer.

I do want to stay away from snow and the cold although, I think your winter is very different from our WI winters. I have Fibromyalgia, so I want to be where it warm, at least most of the time.

As far as school ratings, being a teacher I realize the school ratings are often based off of NCLB (No Child Left Behind), which to me is an oxymoron, because NCLB leaves children behind in true teachable moments and creativity. I am not a fan of test scores, but I am a fan of listening to parents talk about their children's schools, likes and dislikes.

This April, we are going to see Las Cruces, Albuquerque, and any other cities we can manage to fit in during our week long visit so we can decide where we want to move to when our school year ends.

So thank you, I hope this additional information helps.

Quote:
What was Farmington lacking? Are you looking for a college town? Are you looking to stay away from snow? The more specific you get the better it is.
Many of the schools do not get a good rating and they could use more great teachers ... good luck

Old 03-02-2007, 12:34 AM

Since you need a warm area, Las Cruces would probably fit you best. Be careful in Albuquerque where you live, it can get you killed in the wrong areas. Safe areas would be Rio Rancho and the corridor to Santa Fe like Placitas but Albuquerque is considerably cooler than Las Cruces in the winter so I think for your health, look at Las Cruces first. I wish you well and good luck!

Old 03-03-2007, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 7,792 times
I currently live in Albuquerque. We've had some weird weather this year and the winter has been one of the worst with lots of snow. Also, I can speak with some authority about the gang activity throughout the state...you're going to find it everywhere. Las Cruces might even be moreso due to its proximity to Mexico and I-25 being a heavy-use corridor for drugs coming up through Mexico. But it's not too bad of a place to live, you just have to be careful, same as anywhere in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico