Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:36 AM

271 posts, read 1,126,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
I currently live in Albuquerque. We've had some weird weather this year and the winter has been one of the worst with lots of snow. Also, I can speak with some authority about the gang activity throughout the state...you're going to find it everywhere. Las Cruces might even be moreso due to its proximity to Mexico and I-25 being a heavy-use corridor for drugs coming up through Mexico. But it's not too bad of a place to live, you just have to be careful, same as anywhere in my opinion.
I agree with "Escher" that the gang problem is everywhere, and that Las Cruces for being close to the border, is vulnerable to illegal drug trade criminal activity. Border towns as a whole are considered potential zones of danger. Along these lines, El Paso is probably worse than Las Cruces. I feel relieved that my kids are all grown up and thanks God, they all became reponsible tax-paying citizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 11:45 PM

476 posts, read 2,320,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
I currently live in Albuquerque. We've had some weird weather this year and the winter has been one of the worst with lots of snow. Also, I can speak with some authority about the gang activity throughout the state...you're going to find it everywhere. Las Cruces might even be moreso due to its proximity to Mexico and I-25 being a heavy-use corridor for drugs coming up through Mexico. But it's not too bad of a place to live, you just have to be careful, same as anywhere in my opinion.
Yes Escher, you are correct that gangs are everywhere in New Mexico. You have to have knowledge of where to live and not live in each city, whether Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Las Cruces, Farmington, Roswell, Clovis, Hobbs and so on. The smaller towns will be better but that doesnt mean no crime in New Mexico, just a smaller amount of crime. It is just the way NM is from as long as I have been here, which is most of my life. I wish it wasnt true but the fact is that it is a high crime state. It seems like though all over America is getting that way too. They just are starting to get it where we have dealt with it all our lives.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:37 PM

642 posts, read 2,556,581 times
I have gotten my choices of cities down to a couple and it seems knowing you will make the right choice of neigborhoods/areas are hardest. Any place has so many pockets of positive or some negative in it. A lot of times I dont find realtors to be very forthcoming of where not to buy. But I agree, it is all over. I just think there are different degrees and its hard to figure out what they are.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:13 PM

8 posts, read 32,773 times
Lightbulb Deciding on a city!!

First I want to say Thank You to everyone who has replied.

Now, after spending countless hours reading any and all of the threads here that applied to our situation, reading the town's website information, and talking with co-workers who now people who have moved to NM and loved it, I think we have narrowed our scope to several places to look at when we come in April (I Can't Wait!!!!).

Here are cities we have read a lot of good and not too much bad...so if I am missing any important info, please educate me.

~Silver City
~Alamogordo
~Los Alamos (Is this the city with the labs? And if so, what are the labs?)
~Las Cruces

Here's just a little refresher, so you don't have to skip to the next page for the original situation.

I'm a secondary teacher. Husband is working on becoming secondary teacher. We have three children: 17, 12, & 10. We also have three dogs. We are looking for a smaller to mid-sized city, where neighbors say, "Hi," I can feel safe in the school I teach in, and we can have a better quality of family life...traveling around during school breaks to see all the breathtaking sights around NM. Oh yes, I would like mostly warm weather, and so would my husband (he wants to ride his Harley the majority of the year.) So, thank you for all your help

Old 03-06-2007, 11:10 PM

476 posts, read 2,320,368 times
I havent been to Silver City but have heard good things on the forum about it. It isnt a large place so shouldnt have much on crime. Alamogordo I know is a pretty good city. It has nicer areas and other areas look more run down but in general a good city as far as not alot of crime. Los Alamos, to me is a tad spooky, maybe it is just the labs and they are nuclear labs and that alone makes me spooked. Las Cruces, I have been there and it seems like a nice city. It gets REAL hot in the summer but winters are milder. HTH.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:44 AM

126 posts, read 549,611 times
From a born and raised NM native, I would suggest focusing on the Alamogordo/Silver Sity areas. Definitely stay away from Albuquerque/Santa Fe areas. Los Alamos and Santa Fe...too expensive.
I like Alamagordo...a little bare for my taste, but clean, nice. Las Cruces is too close to the border and I have good friends living there that hate it....and I think, coming from the midwest, you probably wouldn't like it either.
Good luck!

Old 03-07-2007, 11:21 AM

81 posts, read 348,087 times
Default Liking and disliking Las Cruces

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyHeart View Post
From a born and raised NM native........ Las Cruces is too close to the border and I have good friends living there that hate it....and I think, coming from the midwest, you probably wouldn't like it either.
Good luck!
Hi, Just wondering what it is your friends hate about Las Cruces. This, coming from a Northeasterner.
Thanks.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:32 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,731,370 times
Default "Too" Close to the Border

There are some of us in Las Cruces who enjoy the proximity to the border and the multi-cultural benefits thereof. Not to mention the business opportunites associated with the nearby El Paso/Juarez metropolitan area. Las Cruces may have its shortcomings, but its location close to the border offers more pluses than minuses. . . . unless your real concern is too many Americans of Mexican descent for your midwestern tastes.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
There are some of us in Las Cruces who enjoy the proximity to the border and the multi-cultural benefits thereof. Not to mention the business opportunites associated with the nearby El Paso/Juarez metropolitan area. Las Cruces may have its shortcomings, but its location close to the border offers more pluses than minuses. . . . unless your real concern is too many Americans of Mexican descent for your midwestern tastes.
The questions I have about all of the cities I am looking at are: Will my family and I have more time to spend together by living a less expensive lifestyle than we currently have? Will we be lucky enough to live in a neighborhood where we know all of our neighbors, like I do now? Will we have enough time to see all of the beautiful sights in and around NM? And Will I be ablt to teach students who really want to learn and not fight everything I offer? As far as being in close proximity to the border; my concern is the same as being close to Chicago. I worry about gangs and drugs, because I have seen first hand as a teacher, the devistating results of this combination.

So, what are the shortcomings of Las Cruces?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:05 AM

Question Las Cruces

Thank you for the info!!!

I have a couple of q's: Why do your friends hate living there? Education system, housing, crime...? And why do you think I may not like it because I'm from the midwest?

Please don't take it that I am offended by your statement, and I hope I am not offending you with my question, I am just curious. I hope to hear from you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyHeart View Post
From a born and raised NM native, I would suggest focusing on the Alamogordo/Silver Sity areas. Definitely stay away from Albuquerque/Santa Fe areas. Los Alamos and Santa Fe...too expensive.
I like Alamagordo...a little bare for my taste, but clean, nice. Las Cruces is too close to the border and I have good friends living there that hate it....and I think, coming from the midwest, you probably wouldn't like it either.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico