Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:50 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,925,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Do you have any idea how many acres of desert chaparral it would take to sustain a single foraging goat in NM? Unless you plan on purchasing land in ranch-size proportions, a goat farm is just not feasible. Overgrazing is a serious problem in the desert soutwest resulting in erosion and further desertification.

Just offering my honest opinion.
I don't believe he said he wanted a goat farm. Did you forget that one can buy feed at feed stores for their livestock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 08:56 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Did you forget that one can buy feed at feed stores for their livestock?
That's hardly homesteading then, is it?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:11 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I don't believe he said he wanted a goat farm. Did you forget that one can buy feed at feed stores for their livestock?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefly View Post
I'm on the prowl for some homesteader-friendly acreage. My goal is to live off the grid -- and off the land -- in a travel-trailer; grow organic produce, goats and chickens; and use alternative power. I'd also like to get a well drilled, and build my own septic system.
Emphasis added..........

Living off grid means more than just not hooking up to the electrical system. It includes being as self sufficient as humanly possible. Depending on the local feed store for sustenance for your livestock is NOT living "off-grid" as a homesteader. Further, if you want "organic produce, goats and chickens" you don't buy factory processed medicated feed.....kind of defeats the attempt at being organic. Even the manure that comes from medicated feed is not "organic" and safe from chemicals.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,462 times
It is not for white men. Only Native Americans could/can survive in the desert. Just the way you describe.
It ain't as hard as domino says. Unless you are stupid or lazy.
Chickens do well. There are other opportunities around. Gomfor it.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 PM

206 posts, read 534,977 times
Well, 100 years ago almost everyone lived that way. It can certainly be done, but it's a hard, hard life. Arizona had a Homestead act and offered everyone 160 acres, but raised the acreage to 320 when it became apparent that 160 acres couldn't support a family, in the arid Southwest. Cochise county, where I live, has waived the inspections for building a homestead type living situation. So, it's probably one of the few places where you could make a homemade cesspool, drill your own well, build a hay-bale house e.t.c.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:13 PM
dsv

1 posts, read 2,006 times
Default SVR or Deming Ranchettes...Any suggestions?

I am not really planning to homestead in the usual sense, but I am wondering if I can have a new Amish-built portable cabin dropped onto my 2+ acre property in Sunshine Valley Ranchettes and utilizing black and gray water holding tanks which water is brought in and pumped out, utilize a composting toilet, solar and wind power off grid permitted? I would plan to "camp" or vacation there less than 5 months out of any year (since my permanent home is in Illinois). I should add that the portable Amish-built type cabin is fully insulated with hook-ups for the holding tanks that I described. I would also utilize propane for heat/cooking/refrigeration. Comments? I don't wish to be uncompliant with ordinances, but I also feel that I should have a right to do this plan without too much regulation from the county. I also support artificial lighting ordinances. Many thanks for your suggestions and comments. DSV

Old 01-01-2013, 09:52 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefly View Post
I'm on the prowl for some homesteader-friendly acreage. My goal is to live off the grid -- and off the land -- in a travel-trailer; grow organic produce, goats and chickens; and use alternative power. I'd also like to get a well drilled, and build my own septic system.

My question to you locals is twofold:

1) Does Deming have zones which would allow for this?
2) If so, are there any other issues you can think of which might hamper my plan?

Thanks for reading!

- Ido
You chose the worst place for what you want to do.

There are a bunch of counties in Central Texas (and TX in general) like the one we live in that do not have building code or its enforcement but will require you to install a county approved and inspected septic tank. These counties like Hays or Comal get more rainfall, have more vegetation etc.

However, as for feeding your goats off *your* land, probably not. The next best thing is a local ranch/farm that grows their own hay. He have horses are live two miles from a 2400 acre ranch that grows their own coastal hay, buying from them is cheaper too AND you are dealing with a neighbor.

Property taxes around here are high and property prices are not low. But, you get what you pay for, more or less.

If you want more greenery, look around Silver City or more north towards Quemado and more north of that. It will cost you much more though and the winters are harsher...

My $.02
OD

Old 01-06-2013, 11:37 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
I like picking through the ruins of old desert homesteads in my free time.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,522 times
I am looking for homestead land in the roswell artesia new mexico area. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old 03-29-2015, 10:50 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,246 times
If you're going to homestead, I'd recommend you learn how to build and use a solar still - and that goes double for homesteading in the desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico